PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fact

oldrocker99
July 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I know all we GNU/Linux users love to hate on Microsoft, but consider this:

The iPhone alone brings in more revenue than EVERYTHING Microsoft does. That includes Windows, Office, Xbox, hardware, etc.

I personally find Apple to be a more insidious corporation than M$, and they took a free distro and made it proprietary.

Very good article from Vanity Fair about how M$ has lost its mojo:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/07/microsoft-downfall-emails-steve-ballmer

nothingspecial
July 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I personally find Apple to be a more insidious corporation than M$, and they took a free distro and made it proprietary.

What? They built a proprietary operating system on top of Darwin, which they did not make proprietary. Apple actually founded the OpenDarwin project for better collaboration with the free software community. It's still going with PureDarwin. The open source parts they used to create Darwin were licensed with the BSD license, which allows what they did, and it's still not proprietary.

I'm not a fan of Apple, either, but if you're going to talk about facts, you should make sure they're right.

Primefalcon
July 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I think he's more referin to OSX... which is under a Proprietary license and was based on freebsd which as under a BSD license

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think he's more referin to OSX... which is under a Proprietary license and was based on freebsd which as under a BSD license

Right. The only part of OSX that is based on freeBSD is Darwin, which is not proprietary. It's the parts of OSX that sit on top of Darwin that are proprietary. What he's saying is kind of like saying the Linux kernel is proprietary because some people use a proprietary nvidia driver with it.