PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Internal high-pitched sound on Macbook

dingenis
July 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I have a MacBook 2.1 with a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. There is a weird high-pitched sound coming from inside, somewehere located below the middle-left of the keyboard. It's always there, unless the CPU is working, after that then the sound comes back immediately.

I tried installing Ubuntu 8 on the same MacBook a couple of years ago, but I removed it again because it also had this sound. I'd almost think it's a hardware issue, were it not that osx works fine; without the sound.

I'm pretty sure it does not come from the speakers (the speaker/ headphone sound works fine, and the sound is not on the headphone).

Does anyone know what it could be? Apart from being annoying, is it harmful? Thanks in advance!

|{urse
July 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
My guess is it's a squealing capacitor by the gpu. You're gonna want to talk to Apple about that. This is a fairly well known issue and the capacitors typically settle down.

Increase the brightness on your display and tell me if the squealing gets louder or not, please.

piwacet
July 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM
This is a well known problem with macbook 2,1. I have one of these laptops as well. The cpu enters a certain c-state and then it makes the high pitched noise. If I remember right it's a hardware bug. The solution is to prevent the cpu from entering this c-state. Going into this c-state is supposed to be an energy saving thing, but the last time I looked into this (a long time ago), making this change didn't really cause any problems.

In a terminal:

sudo su
nano -w /etc/default/grub
Change the line in this file that reads like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash processor.max_cstate=2"Save file (ctrl-x)
execute:

update-grub
Then exit the terminal and reboot.

dingenis
July 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Piwacet, you were absolutely right about the c-state, it works in one go.

To answer |{urse's question: increasing or decreasing the brightness did not change the sound, apart from the fact that the sound pauses for a second just to think about it.

Both of you, thanks a lot for the quick reply! You saved me from switching back to osx in fear of an explosion or something...

animalk
July 24th, 2012, 03:57 AM
This is a well known problem with macbook 2,1. I have one of these laptops as well. The cpu enters a certain c-state and then it makes the high pitched noise. If I remember right it's a hardware bug. The solution is to prevent the cpu from entering this c-state. Going into this c-state is supposed to be an energy saving thing, but the last time I looked into this (a long time ago), making this change didn't really cause any problems.

In a terminal:

sudo su
nano -w /etc/default/grub
Change the line in this file that reads like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash processor.max_cstate=2"Save file (ctrl-x)
execute:

update-grub
Then exit the terminal and reboot.

Thank you piwacet!