PDA

View Full Version : Help running Credo Bible Study in Wine and question about Lubuntu/UCE

iamhdr
July 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this first question but I am a bit of a Linux newbie.

I have found a very interesting Bible/Church history program called Credo Bible Study v1.0.5 here (http://www.azoic.com/software-main-menu-item/products-main-software/61-credo-bible-study-v1-rc1-software-products.html).

I have tried running it in Wine after installing the .Net Framework 4.0 with winetricks but it says that SQL server compact 4.0 is not found. Is there a way to install this or is there a workaround?

Also, I am setting up an older computer for my mother. I was originally going to install Lubuntu on it because it runs nicely on a similar desktop of mine while Ubuntu with Unity is unusably slow but now that I've found UCE I think she would like this better. Would you recommend installing UCE and lxde?

stlsaint
July 15th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this first question but I am a bit of a Linux newbie.

I have found a very interesting Bible/Church history program called Credo Bible Study v1.0.5 here (http://www.azoic.com/software-main-menu-item/products-main-software/61-credo-bible-study-v1-rc1-software-products.html).

I have tried running it in Wine after installing the .Net Framework 4.0 with winetricks but it says that SQL server compact 4.0 is not found. Is there a way to install this or is there a workaround?

Also, I am setting up an older computer for my mother. I was originally going to install Lubuntu on it because it runs nicely on a similar desktop of mine while Ubuntu with Unity is unusably slow but now that I've found UCE I think she would like this better. Would you recommend installing UCE and lxde?

The sql package you speak of can be downloaded here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17876). Now as for setting your grandmothers computer i would say install Lubuntu as a fresh install and then add the bible applications on top of it. In its current state all the applications in our UCE can be found within the archives via synaptic.

iamhdr
July 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm still having trouble installing the program though. It seems to not recognize the SQL 4.0 as being installed even though it is (or I think it is.) I'm very new at using Wine though so I'm sure I may be overlooking something. I'll keep looking & trying different things.

As far as the UCE programs, is there a list of what programs come with it & the reasons they were chosen over others? For instance, browser X is used because it integrates with blocking software Y in the best way. Thanks for the help.

stlsaint
July 17th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the link. I'm still having trouble installing the program though. It seems to not recognize the SQL 4.0 as being installed even though it is (or I think it is.) I'm very new at using Wine though so I'm sure I may be overlooking something. I'll keep looking & trying different things.

As far as the UCE programs, is there a list of what programs come with it & the reasons they were chosen over others? For instance, browser X is used because it integrates with blocking software Y in the best way. Thanks for the help.

There really is not a list of that sort because every bible program within the archives is installed. For extra's that may not be in the archives there purposes are self-explanatory. Software to cover every aspect of ministry is included within UCE along with extras for bible study specifics.

djringjr
September 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM

I am also having the same problem, I have tried both Ubuntu Precise and Debian Testing (Wheezy) and cannot install Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 so that Credo finds it.

I've tried Credo on Windows and it is so beautiful I want in in Linux. I don't like having to run Windows just for one or two programs!

Please write back if you found a solution for this. As you mentioned SQL Server Compact 4.0 seems to install correctly, but Credo reports that it isn't installed.

David