PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's secret ?

never-never-land
July 11th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Hi guys, it's a bit long - try to bear with me...
ever since I started to get to know Linux, I had a chance to try numerous distros and I noticed that most of them (since they're all based on linux kernel) don't have any performance difference other the one you get using a Various D.E. (i.e. gnome, Xfce...).
Yet there are 2 distros that seems to have an extra edge over the others: Sabayon & Ubuntu, while sabayon gives the fastest raw performance, Ubuntu has a uniqe way of dealing with multitasking meaning I can open many tasks in the background yet my PC would barely slow down or lag, but the really interesting part is that in every other OS/distro when your PC starts lagging you have to immediately stop executing more task! - in Ubuntu on the other hand even if I keep executing tasks it's eventually catching up the pace (relatively quick).
I read that both use different kinds of "Service Management Facility": OpenRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC) (sabayon), Upstart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart) (ubuntu). and I'm curious whether this is the cause of that behaviour or is it something else?

would appreciate any help or guidance on that matter!
tnx in advance

ratcheer
July 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Interesting question. I usually look at the various startup utilities in terms of how you manage them, not subsequent system performance. I am not sure I understand how this could make a difference, unless they start things with different options. A lot of tasks is a lot of tasks, regardless of how they were started.

But I have only recently started using Sabayon and I first found out about OpenRC, yesterday. It seems much more generic than Upstart. But, I haven't really dug into it, yet.

Tim

sffvba[e0rt
July 11th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Being a very big distro-hopper (I am sure it can be classified as a disease) I can truly say I haven't noticed any kind of performance boost/decrease between different distro's apart from the different DE at times.

QIII
July 11th, 2012, 09:57 PM
It's KiwiNZ and his Dark Side Jedi Mind Control.