PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Seagate FreeAgent Pro External Drive

Mike1264
July 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hi - I am a very new Linux explorer. I am switching from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. I have a SeaGate FreeAgent Pro External Drive containing all of my data. When I install the new version of Linux (Without Windows on the same machine), will I be able to see the external drive's contents? Do I need to remove them to another machine before installing Linux?
Many thanks for your help and advice,
Mike

Kain000
July 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hey Mike,
Welcome to Ubuntu Linux.

To answer your question, ubuntu is able to read NTFS (standard windows file system) partitions so you should be able to simply connect it and go from there. You may run into an issue with permissions to write to the drive depending on how you set it up in windows, if so just let me know.

-Sean

//edit:
you may, (for sake of safe, easy install) want to leave it disconnected form your computer while you install the Ubuntu OS, as you could by mistake point the installer towards the USB drive rather then the internal hard drive... if you aren't carefull that is. :)

fantab
July 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I too have the same External Disk and it works on Linux as it is. Just plug n play. As advised do not keep it connected while installing Ubuntu.

You are good to go.