PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] RVM code in terminal every time I start it.

ebonygeek45
July 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I am trying to get into Ruby and later Ruby on rails. I am very new to Xubuntu as well. Problem is that being used to Windows installing things...I am still getting used to the way Xubuntu does it.

I still took on trying to install Ruby on rails. I am still not sure if the RVM was installed, Ruby seem to be fine, Rails I am not so sure about.

Every time I pull up terminal now it comes up with code for RVM. It seems to be embedded somehow. I tried to figure out what the problem is and just can not. Researching it on the internet shows no results. I tried to reset...I tried reset and clear.

Also do anyone know where I can download the Irb terminal. Or is that just something that comes with windows. I look like the regular command prompt terminal but has the Irb icon on it.

Do anyone know how to stop this from happening?

The code that runs automatically whenever I pull up terminal is;

bash: /home/ebonygeek45/.
rvm/scripts/rvm: No such file or directory

$rvm_path (/usr/share/ruby-rvm) does not exist.rvm_is_a_shell_function: command not found
__rvm_teardown: command not found
ebonygeek45@sd45-Aspire-one:~$

papibe
July 10th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Hi ebonygeek45.

That is a typical behaviour when either you or another program made a custom modification to one of the Bash start up files.

Let's start with your ~/.bashrc, and check if there are any custom code there. Could you post the result of this command?

diff ~/.bashrc /etc/skel/.bashrc

Regards.

ebonygeek45
July 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Ashamed to say but it could have been me. Just had such a hard time with the install in general. Still learning I'm afraid. Thank you for getting back to me.

Here is my results.

ebonygeek45@sd45-Aspire-one:~$ diff ~/.bashrc /etc/skel/.bashrc
108,112d107
<
< PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.rvm/bin # Add RVM to PATH for scripting
< [[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.
< rvm/scripts/rvm"
< [[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

ebonygeek45
July 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Anyone have an idea if this maybe a problem because I didn't install RVM right. Or is it a system problem?

papibe
July 10th, 2012, 08:42 PM
The first error you are getting is because you have a split line. Then you have a repeated line.

Edit it so it looks like this:

PATH="$PATH":"$HOME"/.rvm/bin # Add RVM to PATH for scripting
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"
Tell us how it goes.
Regards