PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting used to Ubuntu, not sure what to expect in terms of fixing annoyances

Laitcru
July 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.0.4 (i think those are the numbers?) on an hp netbook mini.

So far the operating system and programs seem relatively glitch-free, although using them requires learning different ways to do the things I'm used to doing.

There are, however, three issues, that keep coming up and I'm wondering if they are just standard problems, or if there is some way to fix them:

One issue that seems particularly annoying right now is that when I place the cursor on an item, be it a link, a program, something on the menu bar, what-have-you, and then click the mousepad with another finger, the cursor jumps across the screen and opens something I didn't want it to open.

Another problem is that when I am switching between programs (like the adobe reader and the word processor) one click doesn't do it. I consistently have to click it two times before it will switch.

One other problem is that sometimes the menu bar simply doesn't activate when I place the cursor over it. I am forced to quite the program and reopen it.

Thanks

NikTh
July 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.0.4 (i think those are the numbers?) on an hp netbook mini. No dot.
Its 12.04
04th month 12(2012) the year. Its date of release . April 2012.

One issue that seems particularly annoying right now is that when I place the cursor on an item, be it a link, a program, something on the menu bar, what-have-you, and then click the mousepad with another finger, the cursor jumps across the screen and opens something I didn't want it to open.
I am not sure if i understood you problem correct , but maybe if you disable the touchpad clicks ? try it

Another problem is that when I am switching between programs (like the adobe reader and the word processor) one click doesn't do it. I consistently have to click it two times before it will switch. I think thats the normal with Unity. First click focus , second click switch . Another method is to put the programs on different workspaces and switch between them with Ctr+alt+arrows.

One other problem is that sometimes the menu bar simply doesn't activate when I place the cursor over it. I am forced to quite the program and reopen it.
Hmm.... what program ? is this program one of pre-installed with Ubuntu ? This is about global menu feature . If its buggy with all programs then you can disable it. If you want to disable the global menu search google with the corresponding words or post back here for further help.

Thanks

Welcome to Ubuntu !!

Laitcru
July 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I fussed with the mousepad settings, and have just generally started using the mousepad differently. Mostly it doesn't happen anymore.

Thanks for the tip of ctr+alt+arrows. priceless.

Hmm.... what program ? is this program one of pre-installed with Ubuntu ? This is about global menu feature . If its buggy with all programs then you can disable it. If you want to disable the global menu search google with the corresponding words or post back here for further help.

Yes, this program is one of those that came installed with Ubuntu. It is LibreOffice Writer. It's not the end of the world, just annoying. It's not happening to the extent where even when I quit the application and restart I still don't have access to. I will try disabling it just for kicks.