PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox User Preferences

joepop
July 8th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Where are the user preferences for Firefox in Ubuntu 11.10; how do you access them? Are there any?

AlbertJB
July 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
A preference is any value or defined behavior that can be set (presumably, one setting is preferable to another). Preference changes via user interface usually take effect immediately. The values are saved to the user profile (in prefs.js (https://developer.mozilla.org/En/A_Brief_Guide_to_Mozilla_Preferences#files)), for both Firefox and Thunderbird.

This brief guide maybe is what you are looking for:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/A_Brief_Guide_to_Mozilla_Preferences

Frogs Hair
July 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Unity uses the global menu. Hover the mouse over the top panel-left side and the application menu appears on the panel. Preferences are under Edit.

joepop
July 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for your help, but I don't think you know what I mean.
In windows, if I open Internet Explorer, I have a set of menus so I can customize Internet Explorer the way I want it, e.g.: turn off java script, set the size of the cache, block pop ups, ... etc.

Also Windows has Internet Explorer's preferences (User Preferences) in the Control Panel (System Settings); but there is no settings for FireFox in Ubuntu's System Settings... so I can't set up Firefox the way I want to.

I can't believe Firefox doesn't have some kind of customization options somewhere (User Preferences), at least, to set the size of the cache for Internet files.

tea for one
July 9th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Good evening

As mentioned previously by Frogs Hair :-

For Firefox 13.0.1

Open Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Override automatic cache management

joepop
July 10th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys, Frog's Hair, Tea For One, it was as you said, I finally found it!

The problem was, I wasn't use to having the menus for a window or browser in the panel for the operating system.

Problem solved!