PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Pangolin with Gnome-2?

S2UIRR3L
July 8th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Is it possible to keep everything I love in 10.04, and to update ONLY the kernel to 12.04 without having to switch to the Unity desktop? There's so much that I love in Gnome and would hate to lose if I upgraded to Unity, which I'm really frightened to use. Tried it several times via live disc as well as full install... I feel the same way I did when I moved on from WebTv to Windows XP, I'm CLUELESS lol.

A few days ago, I noticed a guy who had a Tux penguin tattoo, started talking with him and found out that he's all about Linux and knows his way inside out, upside down and backwards. He suggested to me, that I can keep Lucid Lynx, and just update the kernel... I've been using Ubuntu for a while, but I still consider my self a newbie, because I couldn't understand half of what he was saying lol.

I understand there's a way to get Pangolin with Gnome Classic (no effects)? Is this the same as having Lucid without any Compiz "effects" installed? There's a few compiz things that I really need, like holding the Windows button and using the scroll wheel on the mouse to zoom in, instead of me pushing my nose up against the computer screen when I can't read something too small.

Is it possible to keep my Lucid Lynx (with Gnome 2 Desktop)
and update the kernel (without getting the Unity Desktop)?
Does anything I just mentioned make any sense at all? LMAO

-Leo in Massachusetts (us)

S2UIRR3L
July 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Forgot to mention that someone here on the forums pointed me in this direction:

http://ubuntublog.org/how-to-remove-unity-desktop-in-ubuntu-12-04.htm

and

http://ubuntublog.org/how-to-install-gnome-shell-in-ubuntu.htm

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
July 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
not the same if you like applet customization and putting stuff where you want it
if you want something like gnome 2 look at this
http://mate-desktop.org/install/#ubuntu
some things are buggy it is link gnome 2 with no effects
the compiz in 12.04 is buggy anyway

ajgreeny
July 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
You could also take a look at cinnamon desktop, which uses gnome3 and gtk3+ under the hood, but looks like gnome 2 according to many.
http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install-linux-mints-new-cinnamon-desktop-on-ubuntu/

I have not looked at either of them as I can not get a system with cinnamon to boot to a usable desktop, but that's probably just because of my old hardware, and I see no point in sticking with Mate, which is just a fork of gnome 2 and therefore is "old" code.

If you want something that really works fast and extremely well on both old and new hardware, have a good look at both Lubuntu and Xubuntu. It is possible to make both look almost exactly the same as gnome 2, and even though some of the underlying apps are different, everything is still just a click away in software-centre or synaptic.

S2UIRR3L
July 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Okay... I tried installing 12.04 on the really old laptop that I'm working with and I failed to note that it only has a half gig of ram... Pangolin (I think) requires 1 gig.

New question:

Is there a way to use 12.04 on an old Dell Inspiron 1000 with only a half gig of ram? If there's no easy way, I'll probably just force my self to use Puppy or LXDE.

It's really hard to find ram for this little dinosaur, and the video card is bare minimum, so it's not worth it to me to go out and buy all the stuff that it needs. If I can't get anything to work on it, I'll probably re-install XP on it and sell it on eBay or something. I mean, it's not like I "need" this laptop. It's just a "kick-around" little thing that I got for free and thought about using it as a radio for an on-line stream that I listen to.

NikTh
July 9th, 2012, 07:10 AM
New question:

Is there a way to use 12.04 on an old Dell Inspiron 1000 with only a half gig of ram? If there's no easy way, I'll probably just force my self to use Puppy or LXDE.

Maybe yes , maybe no. You must try .
From default , Ubuntu has 2 environments pre-installed. Ubuntu & Ubuntu-2d. Ubuntu uses compiz and forces 3d-effects , but ubuntu-2d its much lighter , uses metacity and has not 3d - support . You can try ubuntu-2d.
After installation finish and at login screen click on gear-like symbol to select ubuntu-2d and see how behaves.
But reality is reality , half Gig of Ram its too little under present circumstances.

ronnysingh
July 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Okay... I tried installing 12.04 on the really old laptop that I'm working with and I failed to note that it only has a half gig of ram... Pangolin (I think) requires 1 gig.

New question:

It's really hard to find ram for this little dinosaur, and the video card is bare minimum, so it's not worth it to me to go out and buy all the stuff that it needs. If I can't get anything to work on it, I'll probably re-install XP on it and sell it on eBay or something. I mean, it's not like I "need" this laptop. It's just a "kick-around" little thing that I got for free and thought about using it as a radio for an on-line stream that I listen to.

That is an old laptop and obviously the cost of its RAM will be higher than DDR3 RAM of same capacity. Don't waste your money. Delete all unwanted apps and run Ubuntu in 2D mode as advised by Nik.

ronnysingh
July 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Perhaps following pages may help you :

1. http://blog.sudobits.com/2010/04/23/speed-up-ubuntu-10-04/

2. http://askubuntu.com/questions/2194/how-can-i-improve-overall-system-performance

mastablasta
July 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Xubutnu needs abotu 120-140 MB on boot. so that should leave you plenty for applicaitons.

Lubuntu needs 80-90MB on boot. so it will elave you even more for applicaitons. both work well on 512MB ram. Xubuntu looks & feels like old gnome. it is also very customizable (mostly right click on the hting you wnat to change move and then do it). so you can easilly make it look like you personally want.

GreatDanton
July 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
If I were you I will install lubuntu because it's faster than xubuntu. It's better to have more system requirements than it's required.

S2UIRR3L
July 10th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Just installed Xubuntu 12.04 and it's fantastic - I love it!!!
It's a little slower than Ubuntu 10.04. but it's very stable.

Thanks a million for all the suggestions everyone... Cheers!