View Full Version : ubuntu - Tried and True

June 22nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Last night I was feeling adventurous and decided to install suse 10.1 on my main PC. Well, I actually downloaded and installed DesktopBSD and PCBSD fist, but neither of them picked up all of my hardware. I had tried suse in the past and alway liked the professional look and feel of it. Anyway, after an excruciatingly long suse DVD download, I took the plunge and installed 10.1 on my main ubuntu formatted drive. The installation went reasonably smoothly and upon completion I was left with a beautifully polished looking and well integrated desktop as expected. Unfortunately, I was also left without wireless networking. Apparently suse has left out the madwifi drivers from this release. So after much Googling I managed to find a precompiled package from madwifi.org for my Atheros wifi card, and got the wireless card working. Just when I thought everything was good, I discovered that the suse pacake updater is broken in this release. To make a long story short, I gave up with what seemed to be a promising install. I'm back to ubuntu it just works.
Now, I just have to install the restricted drivers, ATI drivers, and a couple other things, and I'm back in business...

P.S. -- the support forum here is great!

June 22nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
You know it's better don't you! Lol.

Sorry, but this should be in Ubuntu Cafe.

June 23rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Just when I thought everything was good, I discovered that the suse pacake updater is broken in this release.

Novell have released a patch for this, but it can only be obtained via the online updater through YaST, as far as I know, which does work partially. On a new installation when it prompts you that there are updates, make sure the only package updated is Libzypp. After this package is installed you will need to restart the computer and package management should be working nicely and you can install the other updates.

June 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
I think I'll stick with ubuntu. I had a hell of a time getting ATI drivers working this time for some reason, but it's working now. Last time the ATI fglrx install was a snap, but this time around it was playing games with me. I must say, I'm getting good at installing/reinstalling ubuntu and all the tweaks! :)

June 23rd, 2006, 06:34 AM
I am having a time getting The Ati drivers working for me.. I am sure I will figure it out soon enough.... Thats half the fun, learning and educating yourself...