PDA

View Full Version : Can't get DOSbox to work at all

SerFaren
July 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Where to start...

before anyone suggests wine: I've tried that. It doesn't work. It will try to load it and then it crashes.

Now

I am running Xubuntu 11.10 and am trying to play The Elder Scrolls: Arena, however it refuses to cooperate. I downloaded it not from the Bethesda site (Seeing as the .exe was screwed up), but from http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Arena_:_ArenaSetup_EN, I then installed that via Wine Program Loader.

I'm completely lost as to what to do. IF someone could give me a different tutorial on how to do this, that'd be great. I'm just so confused... :frown:

paul1945
July 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I am no expert, but I would say that you installed the wrong dosbox, you are running one emulator within another which tends to multiply problems. Uninstall this one and try the Linux version which you can download and install through the "Ubuntu Software Centre" located on your Desktop. This is the Dosbox I am running and it seems to work well.

SerFaren
July 8th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I am no expert, but I would say that you installed the wrong dosbox, you are running one emulator within another which tends to multiply problems. Uninstall this one and try the Linux version which you can download and install through the "Ubuntu Software Centre" located on your Desktop. This is the Dosbox I am running and it seems to work well.

I tried to download it via Terminal:

sudo apt-get install dosbox
The first time. That got it from the USC... so...

R33D3M33R
July 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I then installed that via Wine Program Loader.

If you want to run a game through dosbox you should install it via dosbox. Also, check the tips here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:The_Elder_Scrolls:_Arena

Sarys
August 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Stupid question. Is dosbox leagal? Or I mean the program is leagal but if I install games like D, Alone in the dark 1-3, Blood and so on from internet is that leagal

(sorry for bad English and bad question)

paul1945
August 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Stupid question. Is dosbox leagal? Or I mean the program is leagal but if I install games like D, Alone in the dark 1-3, Blood and so on from internet is that leagal

(sorry for bad English and bad question)

Dosbox is free and perfectly legal. If you run pirated programs on it (or for that matter on anything else), that is illegal. There are however many previously commercial Dos games that are now abandonware; that is the owners cannot be located anymore, or they have categorically stated that they have no further commercial interest in the program, thus effectively placing it in the public domain. Copying and using the first may be dubious, and if the owners happen to suddenly surface, could lead to problems. So these may be best avoided. In the second case you are probably pretty safe. But if this worries you, there are hundreds if not thousands of public domain Dos games out there, that were originally coded by enthusiasts and have always been in the public domain.
In the end however it is not up to forums such as these to proscribe what people should or should not run in a given emulator; the purpose of this forum is to share information about the use of Ubuntu.

Sarys
August 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Dosbox is free and perfectly legal. If you run pirated programs on it (or for that matter on anything else), that is illegal. There are however many previously commercial Dos games that are now abandonware; that is the owners cannot be located anymore, or they have categorically stated that they have no further commercial interest in the program, thus effectively placing it in the public domain. Copying and using the first may be dubious, and if the owners happen to suddenly surface, could lead to problems. So these may be best avoided. In the second case you are probably pretty safe. But if this worries you, there are hundreds if not thousands of public domain Dos games out there, that were originally coded by enthusiasts and have always been in the public domain.
In the end however it is not up to forums such as these to proscribe what people should or should not run in a given emulator; the purpose of this forum is to share information about the use of Ubuntu.

I used to be pirate years ago and I know I can't get in trouble. I just don't want to turn to pirate again. It was hard to get rid of that you know. So I guess the safest way is to go to ebay and look if I can find these games form there.