PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sound not working

Jeroen300
July 8th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Hello everybody, I did the following:

Used ubuntu12.04mini-iso. After the baresystem was installed i did the following: sudo apt-get install xinit xorg xterm chromium-browser gksu synaptic. Pulseaudio and alsa-base are installed, I also installed xubuntu restricted extras.

My problem is that I don't get sound.
Does anybody know if I should instaal something extra or do something to get the sound working?

On the same system xubuntu installation did have working sound.

Thanks for any relpy!

Greetings Jeroen

AlbertJB
July 8th, 2012, 06:05 AM
And the hardware? ie. Do you use HDMI? .. I had problems with the cable for instance..

Jeroen300
July 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Hardware shouldn't be a problem I'm using virtualbox for this tryout for now. I've also checked mini-iso with md5, its fine. Im at a loss, Thanks for reacting!

Merrattic
July 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Install alsa-utils then open up alsamixer and see what is muted?

Also check "lsmod" for sound drivers loaded, and report back on the output of "aplay -l"

mastablasta
July 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM
have you seen the torubleshooting guides?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885240

Jeroen300
July 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
@ Merratic

Alsamixer is not muted but it seems there is no soundcard according to aplay -l see screenshot attachment. Some further help would be very much appreceated! Since I'm quite new at this I don't know what to look for.

Jeroen300
July 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
@ Mastablasta

I've been looking for some sort of guide for quite some time, thanks! Going to see where it gets me.

Jeroen300
September 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
To everybody who is reading this, The solution of the problem is very simple. Since I didn't install a complete system but builded it up myself, my user wasn't added to the audio-group. I managed it by sudo usermod -a -G audio username. Thanks everybody who reacted and to anybody reading this, I hope it helps!

Greetings