PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to encrypt ubuntu?

Tetrohedron
July 7th, 2012, 06:00 AM
For the past few months, I have been playing with linux oses. Now that I have a better idea about what I want from my computer, I am going to set up a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I generally consider my Windows 7 partition to be my public everybody have fun and use my computer partition, and my linux partition a bit more of a private playground for my various computer projects. As such, I would like to encrypt Ubuntu.

If possible, I would really like to use truecrypt to do this. It seems state of the art and frankly I like the idea of it. However, I don't want to encrypt my whole system. I am not a black hat, or a criminal, or a government spook. I don't need it. I just want some privacy and the satisfaction of knowing that nobody can crack into my Ubuntu os (not that I am expecting anybody to try).

What are my options?

Soul-Sing
July 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Then create a container via truecrypt on Ubuntu.
Or use ecryptfs, creating a private area for "important" stuff.

na5h
July 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Also, you can simply choose to encrypt your home folder during the installation of Ubuntu...it can also be done afterwards:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/encrypt-home-folder-ubuntu-installation-linux/

Ashtechsmith
July 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM
For the past few months, I have been playing with linux oses. Now that I have a better idea about what I want from my computer, I am going to set up a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I generally consider my Windows 7 partition to be my public everybody have fun and use my computer partition, and my linux partition a bit more of a private playground for my various computer projects. As such, I would like to encrypt Ubuntu.

If possible, I would really like to use truecrypt to do this. It seems state of the art and frankly I like the idea of it. However, I don't want to encrypt my whole system. I am not a black hat, or a criminal, or a government spook. I don't need it. I just want some privacy and the satisfaction of knowing that nobody can crack into my Ubuntu os (not that I am expecting anybody to try).

Soul-Sing
July 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM

na5h
July 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Yup...just check out the beginner's tutorial on truecrypt:
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

rookcifer
July 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM
All Trucerypt will do is create a container that you can move files in and out of. You cannot encrypt the filesystem or partitions. TC has this option for Windows, but not Linux. So TC is fine if you have individual files you want to keep in an encrypted container.

If you want to encrypt /home, you can do this during the Ubuntu install or you can switch over later by using encyptfs.

If you want to encrypt the entire Ubuntu install you will need the alternate install CD and will need to setup LUKS from there.

Tetrohedron
July 8th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Wait, I thought that the truecrypt system encrypt thing could be set up in such a way as you could do a dual boot. I thought it might be possible to use a linux os as the hidden operating system. Not so?

Also, when I had my first distro, Fedora, there was an option to encrypt the system during instillation. I miss that. Ubuntu should allow the same thing.

Soul-Sing
July 8th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I don't want to encrypt my whole system.

Mind what you gave us to start with, so the support/answers goes via your input/information.....