PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] autofill bank password?

Greg Mueller
July 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
For most things Firefox's autofill works great and puts the passwords in the boxes for me.
On my bank access page it does not fill in the password and user name.
Is there an add on or app that anyone knows of that will force Firefox to autofill my bank login form?

Thanks

critin
July 6th, 2012, 11:54 PM
For most things Firefox's autofill works great and puts the passwords in the boxes for me.
Is there an add on or app that anyone knows of that will force Firefox to autofill my bank login form?

Thanks

Bad idea!! That's one password that shouldn't need to be automatic--keep it in your head only. :p

critin
July 6th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Of course that wasn't your question--sorry. FF also keeps my passwords, but doesn't even offer from the bank site. I've not tried to figure out why.

There are some password FF add-ons you could try.

gandaran
July 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks
bank websites don't allow web browsers to remember or fill in username and passwords but on some you can use a addon to fill in the username, you will still have to type the password.
try the Autofill (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/autofill-forms/?src=ss) addon, its great just clicking the Autofill icon to fill in the space however it will depend on the bank website whether it will work or not.

mapes12
July 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I've been using Lastpass addon for FF for sometime now. As a previous post noted, most Bank sites are configured not to allow auto filling of usernames and passwords and Lastpass is no different. Personally, I prefer it this way for security reasons. For other sites I find Lastpass very convenient and I've never had any security issues.

krustenBrot
July 7th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Bad idea!! That's one password that shouldn't need to be automatic--keep it in your head only. :p

+1

Or you could create a keepass (apt:keepassx)DB to store your important passwords - you can copy & paste the passwords out of it. Just remember to use a strong master password. On passwords you might want to read this (http://www.cs.umd.edu/faq/Passwords.shtml). :)

jonnyboysmithy
July 7th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Still, bad idea!! Anyone who gets hold of your computer could read the password!!

In firefox go Tools >Preferences>Security>Saved passwords and there you can see all saved passwords.

Even when your computer is shutdown its easy to start it up with the use of a live cd and then read the password. I don't recommend it.

hypnot0ad
July 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Sure you can get firefox to remember the user-name (it does with mine with the default settings 12.04LTS) but as you can tell from the posts above having it sore the password is not a wise decision.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking,
how come you want both stored?

krustenBrot
July 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
By the way, if you don't mind me asking,

This is an excellent question. Got my thinking about abusing the password saving in a malicious way for the first time.

"Could i use your computer to transfer some money?"

raja.genupula
July 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Still, bad idea!! Anyone who gets hold of your computer could read the password!!

In firefox go Tools >Preferences>Security>Saved passwords and there you can see all saved passwords.

Even when your computer is shutdown its easy to start it up with the use of a live cd and then read the password. I don't recommend it.

Hi
By using master password , we can protect all the passwords which were saved in Firefox .

Greg Mueller
July 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM
SBy the way, if you don't mind me asking,

For the same reasons you want other passwords autofilled into blanks

hypnot0ad
July 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM
For the same reasons you want other passwords autofilled into blanks

Ah I see.

davcav
July 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
It doesn't really matter if you can get round it, you would almost certainly be breaching the terms and conditions of your agreement with your bank. This will state something along the lines of "use your security details ONLY for accessing your internet or telephone banking".

That is, if you are filling your details in an add-on you are not using them for the permitted purpose even if that is your desired end.

Cheers David.

stinkeye
July 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM
For sites that I don't want anyone to be able to log in to if they
happen to be using my computer I use keepassx.
It can perform on autotype function to fill in your login details.

critin
July 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM

But not for the banks--it isn't saved. lol
I absolutely depend on FF saving my PW's

Greg Mueller
September 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Dudes
I am 61 years old. I don't need lectures.

I don't use a laptop that anyone can use, steel or 'get to".
I just want to be able to get in to check on things in my bank account without having to type a lot of passwords.

I don't care if it's a "good idea" or if "the bank likes it".

oldsoundguy
September 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM
As a matter of security .. almost ALL financial institutions require a manual insertion of AT LEAST your password .. some even require insertion of your user name (my bank does). You will be hard pressed to find an institution that does NOT use that procedure and there is no software shortcut program that I am aware of that will bypass those requirements. Get over it ..
(I am 75, so don't talk about "age" .. and I am not complaining at ALL about security!)

JKyleOKC
September 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
My bank doesn't allow it to be filled in automatically, but if I type the first character of my user name I get a tool tip sort of reminder that I then click to fill in the rest of it, and the password comes along automatically. I'm using FireFox and had to add the user name and password to "Saved Passwords" manually, but it's working for me.

Banks vary in how they protect the on-line credentials, but the FireFox end of things seems to work just fine once you get them into the saved area. As critin said a couple of mesages back, I depend on the saved list since I do avoid using a single password for everything, and the random strings I generate are impossible to remember. In addition, my bank has an absolute guarantee of no loss through online fraud...

critin
September 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Dudes
I am 61 years old. I don't need lectures.

I don't use a laptop that anyone can use, steel or 'get to".
I just want to be able to get in to check on things in my bank account without having to type a lot of passwords.

I don't care if it's a "good idea" or if "the bank likes it".

Ah, Greg.

The bank really will not like it. In fact, they will not like so much that they won't let you auto-fill-in the password. Try it. Save it somewhere, not FF, cause it won't. But save it and try to auto log in. I really don't think there is an app that the bank will accept as being secure enough, even if the app saves it.

My name is auto filled in, but that's all. And I'm glad because sometimes the bank addy stays in my browser for weeks with my name already filled in when it's opened. No one bothers my machine either, but still...browsers aren't hard to break in to.

Use a simple PW. 123, or abcdef if you just hate passwords.

JKyleOKC
September 16th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Save it somewhere, not FF, cause it won't. But save it and try to auto log in.As I said, it varies from one bank to another, but the key point is that it won't launch automatically. You have to initiate the action by typing at least the first character of the user ID (and I've found that case matters here, sometimes, but not always), and you have to manually add the information to FF's password store in the first place.

From that point on there's no way the bank's software can tell the difference between a text box that was filled in automatically, and one that was filled in by hand. It cannot check the speed of entry, because either way the data will be sent to them via an HTML POST or SEND statement when you click "Submit" or "Log In." And since the bank cannot tell the difference, there's no way they can "not like" it unless you make a point of telling them about it. Even then, the odds that most bank personnel know HTML that well are vanishingly small...

I agree fully that it's not secure enough to put onto a machine that will be used in public hotspots, but I had no qualms about handling my affairs this way when I spent some three weeks in hospital several years ago recovering from a broken leg and subsequent rehab, using the hospital's wireless access point. I did, however, change both my User ID and my password upon coming home, just to be on the safe side -- and you'll note that I've never mentioned, on this public forum, what bank I deal with.

critin
September 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
you have to manually add the information to FF's password store in the first place.
Okay, you win--I've not even tried to do this. But if I had and it worked, I admit I would probably be using it. I do see your point if you feel your browser is safe. I do. I do all my bill paying online and have all those passwords saved and set to auto log in. So I might as well be storing the banks password too. It's still not a good idea. A case of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

I was only trying to lighten the mood, didn't intend to really sound so nosy/bossy--however I came across . Only Kidding around.

jones27557
September 17th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I certainly wouldn't want it that way. What happens when your laptop gets swiped? Not only did they get your laptop but then they logged in and wired all your money to some Western union account.

JKyleOKC
September 17th, 2012, 01:06 AM
critin: no problem; I didn't consider it a competition at all, just wanted to make the point that it was possible. And you have to be certain that your system is as safe as you can make it. Otherwise you should not be doing anything financial on line at all.

jones: The only time I ever put this on a laptop was when I went to hospital, and as I said I changed everything as soon as I got back home. It's definitely not the thing to do with anything portable, be it laptop, tablet, or smart phone!

les2
December 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
The financial institutions have forced Firefox to allow banks to prevent Firefox from storing the password. They accomplish this using an HTML attribute on the form / form input: autocomplete="off".

You will not find a Mozilla build of Firefox that disables this "feature". There used to be an easy workaround if you were a programmer type, as described in this post:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/799489

I wish that somebody would package a Firefox clone that automatically disabled banks from doing this (or at least exposed a config property that could toggle it).