PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Raid problems

Slimmons
July 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I've been looking for a while into some errors I've had with Ubuntu and setting up a Raid 0 on two 1tb WD caviar blacks. Most of what I've found says to just do a software raid, but I'd really rather not do that. The issue I'm having is that I set up the hardware raid, install Ubuntu as raid0, and it completes successfully, then when it restarts, it always says, grub not loaded, and won't recognize any commands I do. I've been told to use the alternate download, and do software raid......any other options?

Gone fishing
July 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
There are hardware raids and hardware raids a proper hardware raid I would have thought should be no problem the OS will just see it as a disk. However, the hardware raids that come with mother boards are not usually true hardware raids and can be a problem.

However, I used raid1 with mdadm and it was good.

|{urse
July 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Are these gpt?

http://www.shuvoovuhs.com/linux/grub-installation-issue-with-2-tb-hdd-gpt-requires-bios-boot-partition/

Slimmons
July 6th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hey, and thanks for responding so quickly, the advice about hardware raid, and true hardware/fake hardware raid made me go look at the difference more closely, and the link to the large HDD raid grub installer failure helped a lot. I'm sure that's the key to fixing this is the installer partitions. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if that didn't fix it, but now that I see it's not an actually problem with software/hardware, and more of a problem with how I was doing it, I should be able to fix., thanks a lot!