PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Excluding KDE Updates

aravipati
July 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I have the 12.04 version of Ubuntu and am using the GNOME Desktop.

The Update Manager is showing a lot of KDE updates related to Akanodi, kpart, plasma, KDE Platform etc.

Is is possible to not receive KDE updates? It is a pain to manually uncheck some of the items in the Update Manager's list; everytime.

Are these KDE updates necessary for the well being of a GNOME Desktop?

Thanks.
Anand R

SeijiSensei
July 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
The fact that you're being offered these updates means you already have all those packages on your machine. Did you install KDE at some time or another and switch back to GNOME? Since those packages appear on your machine already, why not just let them get updated?

Now if you installed particular KDE applications like K3b or Clementine onto a GNOME machine, you'll have gotten a bunch of supporting libraries and other files needed to run a KDE application. I have the reverse experience with GNOME applications on my Kubuntu machine. Installing synaptic brings in dozens of dependent files. I just let them get updated along with everything else.

aravipati
July 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM
You are right.

I initially had KDE and then switched to Gnome because the former was unstable (freezing Desktop).

My main concern is that the updates will be taking up precious space. Moreover, I do not use these KDE apps.

Is it possible to go to a Gnome-only Desktop? Do I have to start from scratch to have a pure Gnome Desktop?

Thanks.
Anand R

SeijiSensei
July 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Yes, I'd reinstall if you want to dump KDE entirely.

Still we're not talking about oodles of disk space here. On any modern hard drive with gigabytes of space, we're talking a few hundreds megabytes at most for the KDE stuff.