PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Another question! CD's not playing and can't find them.

Jackalyn
July 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM
It is possible of course, that the system cannot detect the CD's which are recordings of church services. YThey could also have given me a blank by mistake......However
somewhere there must be a way to see what is loaded into the tray?

I can find 'removable media.' That is not my problem. That just asks what I want the system to do with the media.

Some CD's and DVD's do play but this one I have to listen to now does not seem to be detected. I just want to find the actual place with shows you a CD is inserted and am blowed if I can find it. Thanks.

(I think it is called an audio CD and has a white side to it.)

mapes12
July 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Some CD's and DVD's do play but this one I have to listen to now does not seem to be detected.In which case it could be the media. For example, some optical drives have problems recognising CD+R's.

If you have the standard Ubu 12.04 installation then when you insert a disk a window will pop up asking what you want to do with it. You then have a selection of applications in a drop down menu.

Jackalyn
July 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM
In which case it could be the media. For example, some optical drives have problems recognising CD+R's.

If you have the standard Ubu 12.04 installation then when you insert a disk a window will pop up asking what you want to do with it. You then have a selection of applications in a drop down menu.

I don't get the pop up. I do get some things automatically playing -usually bought disks. I think they are playing in Rhythmbox at the moment but also have VLC

Still wonder where you go to see if the disk is there though...(.like on Windows-computer-) I would like to know that anyway.:popcorn:

deadflowr
July 5th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Is a CD icon showing up in the launcher dock(at the bottom area of the launcher)?

If not, a quick way to see the disk is to open up the program disk utility, look at the left side pane and find the CD/DVD device you put the disk into and click on it. In the main area, if any disk is installed some sort of reading should show up, however the most likely scenario would be the disk will say unknown as it is probably unreadable by your hardware.

Jackalyn
July 5th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Is a CD icon showing up in the launcher dock(at the bottom area of the launcher)?

If not, a quick way to see the disk is to open up the program disk utility, look at the left side pane and find the CD/DVD device you put the disk into and click on it. In the main area, if any disk is installed some sort of reading should show up, however the most likely scenario would be the disk will say unknown as it is probably unreadable by your hardware.

I did open disk utility - think that was what I was looking for in the first place. At least I now know where to look to see what is in the cd/dvd tray! Nothing showed there BUT strangely in the rhythm box the CD imported the first track only .Quite literally the first five words seemed to import.....then nothing....so I know it can pick up the CD but the system can't?:confused:

codingman
July 5th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Have you checked the disc for any scratches?

Are you sure you're drive can read it?

If you have a DVD player that is hooked up to the TV, that you know can read your disc type (some DVD players can read CD's), then try it in there. That could prove a lot.

Jackalyn
July 6th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Have you checked the disc for any scratches?

Are you sure you're drive can read it?

If you have a DVD player that is hooked up to the TV, that you know can read your disc type (some DVD players can read CD's), then try it in there. That could prove a lot.

I did check...all of a sudden it plays but have no idea why! Maybe I just did not wait long enough for it to load. I don't have a TV!!! (Haven't for many, many years.) Yes obviously lol now I know the drive can read it. It just was not showing in the drive!

Now I just have to figure out what happened to make it play. (I only had Rhythym box open and was listening to something quite different so it was a shock lol.) Thanks, J

:popcorn:J