PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Segate external media drive.

MikeLitt
July 5th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Ok Here is what I have. I own 2 segate 2tb xternal drive.. one is 100% great plug and play. The other I plugged into my direct tv receiver to be used for more space. The receiver formatted the drive it worked for about 30 min. and has been a dead drive since. Finally I need the space again and would like to be able to reformat it again. it's been sitting dead for a yr.

win box didn't see it lol didn't expect it to.. ubuntu box didn't I guess mount it.. but when I /terminal/lsusb I do see the drive in question..

Bus 001 Device 024: ID 0bc2:5070 Seagate RSS LLC

I am running the ubuntu that was current in feb of 2012 did not update it :) on a Dell latitude d820 if that helps..

I really do need this my seed box is full and new stuff i need to put in it :)

Any help is greatly welcomed. I will also be without internet for next 4 days, Promptness is not a priority

Ps I do fallow instructions well it you need more info just say so.

oldfred
July 5th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Drives that have issues will often not be seen in gparted. Does gparted see it at all?

I had not issues ( I thought) with my sda drive, but then gparted would not see the drive at all. It had XP and XP still worked. I ran chkdsk on the NTFS partition and gparted saw it (and XP booted a bit faster).

Often external devices use FAT32. If it is that you should be able to run chkdsk on it also. But with 2TB it may take forever. I am not sure FAT works on drives that large and that may have been the issue.

MikeLitt
July 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
G parted is not seeing this drive.. :(
The drive spins, it's stand by light comes on, I took it out of case and circuit board looks to be 100% intact

I am figuring data on the drive to tell the pc what to do is corrupted