PDA

View Full Version : Sound card not recognized anymore

anarvoshir
July 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hello to everyone,

I have a HP Mini and I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. When these has been installed, the sound card was recognised but I had no sound. I've checked some forums and found out that installing Alsa 1.0.23 will be the solution. I've done this following the information on this website : http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/05/02/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-10-04/ and it worked.
However this morning the kernel has been updated through the Update Manager and the sound is not working anymore; the sound card is not even recognized anymore.
I've tried to check if I could find a solution on line but seems quite confusing.
So could someone helps me?

Thanks,
MichaŽl

cipherboy_loc
July 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Run the following commands in a terminal, please, and report the output (in code tags):

lspci | grep Audio

This will tell us what audio card you have.

uname -a

This will tell us which kernel version you have.

alsactl --version

This will tell us what alsa version you have.

TemŁjin
July 5th, 2012, 01:51 AM
You need to run make install for each of those three directories again (and every time you install a new kernel).

anarvoshir
July 5th, 2012, 03:29 PM
To cipherboy

Here the results of the commands :

michael@ubuntu:~$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

michael@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-41-generic #91-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 13 11:43:55 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

michael@ubuntu:~$ alsactl --version
alsactl version 1.0.23

I should maybe also mention that when I go to sound preferences it says that i have a 'Dummy output' instead of the soundcard.

Hope you'll be able to help me :)
Thanks,
MichaŽl

anarvoshir
July 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hello me again

I've run a make install as advised by TemŁjin and it worked.... I have the sound again.... Yeaaaaaah

thanks to all
MichaŽl

anarvoshir
July 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Me again....

The sound did actually come back in every programs but VLC. Would you have an idea of how to fix that?

Thanks,
Mick

Olmen
March 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM
You need to run make install for each of those three directories again (and every time you install a new kernel).

I have this same problem. To which three folders are you referring?

TemŁjin
March 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
You have to see the OP's link in the first post to understand. That probably doesn't apply to you anyway (unless you're running Lucid). It's best to start your own thread and give: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo