PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't see ohter computer on network

rickm1945
July 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have a wireless network and I use my printer on the network, plus my laptop and Desktop computer. I can't see either computer on the network nor can I connect via "Browse Network", I get this error message

I want to share file between by laptop and my Desktop how can I set this up?

In ******* I used a workgroup setup and shared files. I am lost in Ubuntu and can't find anything relating to sharing between computers. I,m sure ut's here I just can't find it.

rukiaEnix
July 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Have you installed samba?

rickm1945
July 4th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Have you installed samba?
yes I have installed Samba, and the other software it recommended during install. I have setup Shared files om my laptop with Samba, now do I need to install Samba on my Desktop as well to make the sharing both ways? In Network do I need to make the Network a Hotspot?

rukiaEnix
July 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Can you please post your smb.conf configuration file?

And what are your computers IP addresses.

bab1
July 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
yes I have installed Samba, and the other software it recommended during install. I have setup Shared files om my laptop with Samba, now do I need to install Samba on my Desktop as well to make the sharing both ways? In Network do I need to make the Network a Hotspot?

If you are sharing files on both machines you need to set up Samba on both machines. On the other hand if you are only sharing files on one machine (like the desktop) to the others then you only need Samba server on that machine. All Ubuntu Desktop (including laptop) installs have Samba client software by default.

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
If you are sharing files on both machines you need to set up Samba on both machines. On the other hand if you are only sharing files on one machine (like the desktop) to the others then you only need Samba server on that machine. All Ubuntu Desktop (including laptop) installs have Samba client software by default.
I'm sharing files on both machines. I have Samba setup on both machines, have setup files to share and still can't connect. Do I need to change something in the Windows files? I have Drive C: set as shared. What is command for Samba config. file?

Morbius1
July 5th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'm sharing files on both machines. I have Samba setup on both machines, have setup files to share and still can't connect. Do I need to change something in the Windows files? I have Drive C: set as shared. What is command for Samba config. file?
You could help these folks by posting the output of the following commands:

This one will give them a more readable listing of your smb.conf:

testparm -sThis one will give a listing of all the shares on your network or error messages if it finds something wrong:

smbtree

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 01:47 PM
You could help these folks by posting the output of the following commands:

This one will give them a more readable listing of your smb.conf:

testparm -sThis one will give a listing of all the shares on your network or error messages if it finds something wrong:

smbtree

ichard@richard-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[Documents]"
Processing section "[Pictures]"
Processing section "[Downloads]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[Documents]
comment = Documents
path = /home/richard/Documents
valid users = richard
read only = No

[Pictures]
path = /home/richard/Pictures
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[Downloads]
path = /home/richard/Downloads
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
richard@richard-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ smbtree
Enter richard's password:
WORKGROUP
\\XPS8100 XPS8100 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
\\RICHARD-HP-PAVI richard-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC server (Samba
richard@richard-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$

Morbius1
July 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM
If the other respondents don't mind the intrusion there is one thing you need to fix on the Linux end of this:

ichard@richard-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ testparm -sEdit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.confAnd add this line - right under the workgroup line:

netbios name = g6-notebookIt doesn't have to be that exact name but it has to be 15 characters or less in length.
Save the file and restart samba:

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I see you have this for the printers:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No

change browseable = No to browseable = Yes

That may be the reason of why you can't see the shared printers.
Also add that line to your other shares.

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I see you have this for the printers:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No
change browseable = No to browseable = Yes

That may be the reason of why you can't see the shared printers.
Also add that line to your other shares.
How do I edit these files now?

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM
With an editor, for example I always use nano:

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 05:40 PM
With an editor, for example I always use nano:

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

I got to the printers and edited the Browse to yes, but how do I save the change?

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
under nano you can see with what Ctrl combination you can search, exit, save, and more. For saving is Ctrl+o

If you have problems using this text editor why you don't try with other you are familiar with.

Morbius1
July 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Like ... oh I don't know ... this one:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
BTW, Changing browseable on the printers share will be ignored by samba since the [printers] share is not a browseable entity. If you run testparm after the edit you will see that samba sets it back to No because it assumes you were kidding.

Can I assume you didn't add the netbios name in smb.conf?

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Even though try adding the browseable to your other shares.

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM
under nano you can see with what Ctrl combination you can search, exit, save, and more. For saving is Ctrl+o

If you have problems using this text editor why you don't try with other you are familiar with.
This is all new to me as I have not edited a file like this before. After I did ctrl O it as what file to write to.

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
OK, you just press ENTER, you can change the name of the file but we don't want that, so just ENTER.

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM

BTW, Changing browseable on the printers share will be ignored by samba since the [printers] share is not a browseable entity. If you run testparm after the edit you will see that samba sets it back to No because it assumes you were kidding.

Oh, Ok Thank you. This would have driven me crazy. Now I will leave it alone. I wondered if I was doing this correct since I have never heard of browsing for a printer.

rickm1945
July 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM

Yes, I didn't add anything. Just set Browsable to yes, but it didn't change, it is still no.

rukiaEnix
July 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Just try it with one of your other shares.