PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sound issues

Shadow819
July 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
hello. new person here. i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a sound problem i am having with my desktop. its the first time iv encountered it and im honestly not even sure were to get started much. iv checked and made sure everything is not muted and cycled through every option i could in the sound setting but had no luck at all. even tried some of the things people posted in the past but again. no luck. if anyone at all could help me i would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
running natty 11.04 if it helps

IWantFroyo
July 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Run this in Terminal:

alsamixer

If either the Master channel or speakers are muted, hit m over them to unmute them (there should be "00" there).

Shadow819
July 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Run this in Terminal:

alsamixerIf either the Master channel or speakers are muted, hit m over them to unmute them (there should be "00" there).
i tried and they werent muted.still no sound. do you have any other ideas please? :)

Shadow819
July 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM
can someone please help me with this "been at it over 6 hours". iv tried upgrading to the latest distro. going through multiple sites on editing the alsa config files and still had no luck. im about to go get a separate sound card in hope it will work even but i dont want to spend the money on it just yet =/ . my current one is a realtek alc850. has anyone else had any luck with this card?

msammels
July 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Shadow,

Going on the above code, please try this:

sudo alsamixer

As it does require root to run.

Shadow819
July 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Shadow,

Going on the above code, please try this:

sudo alsamixerAs it does require root to run.
everything is unmuted and turned all the way up and there is still no sound.

msammels
July 8th, 2012, 01:27 AM
OK - in Ubuntu, click the sound icon on the top panel, go to settings. Make sure the correct output device is selected.

Shadow819
July 8th, 2012, 01:35 AM
its selected "analog output / amplifier" "built in audio". i ran through all the settings and tested them just to be sure as well and didnt get anything.
just as a side note i tested my speakers with my laptop and they do for sure work. as well as plugging them into the multiple outputs in back "sub/front/rear" and none of them work either.