PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

mehaga
June 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering what Ubuntu users think about the football World Cup...

Who do you think will win?
What team is the worst?
Who do you think is the best player?
Which goal was the best?

It would be good to know where you're from, so we know how biased your answers are :)

bruce89
June 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Yikes, yet another thread about it.

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
My option is not on there. I watch it whenever I feel like it, though I have watched all the English games so far.

Christmas
June 22nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
I don't watch football that often, actually very rare. However since Romania is not participating, I have absolutely no interest in watching it. So the last option is for me.

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Washington, DC, USA:

Watch it when I have the chance (am actually missing a half day of work to watch the USA/Ghana match tomorrow), and listen to the matches carried on (Spanish-language) radio while at work.

I'm picking Argentina to win the whole thing. They've played beautiful football so far. The Germans don't look too shabby either.

mehaga
June 22nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
I don't watch football that often, actually very rare. However since Romania is not participating, I have absolutely no interest in watching it. So the last option is for me.
Second option is also for you :p

fuscia
June 22nd, 2006, 01:42 AM
i'd rather watch bowling than soccer. i don't get the fascination with the sport.

G Morgan
June 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
i'd rather watch bowling than soccer. i don't get the fascination with the sport.

I don't blame you, the sport is far worse now than it was 10 years ago. Then it was at least a semi contact sport. Now a few less enlightened people have turned it into a game where players dance around the pitch and kiss each other when they score. It still has its good moments when you can get past the whistle happy referees and play acting morons but theres a distinct lack of guts in the game that makes it seem lifeless these days.

andrecasteliano
June 22nd, 2006, 02:00 AM
Brazil will win. Believe me :P

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 02:40 AM
At least it's not golf. Terrible television, that: OH LOOK, MORE WHITE GUYS WALKING!

ajifans
June 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hard to say who will win it; it's quite open this time. Brazil were favourties, but they look very weak so far.

My money would be on Argentina.

Saudi Arabia are probably the worst; no skill, and no real passion.

Favourite goal was probably Joe Cole's in England vs Sweden.

Haven't really got an opinion on best player yet.

I've noticed that a lot of Americans will only support a sport that their national team is good at [-( . Therefore they play sports that only that only americans and couple of other countries play, so that they can call themselves "'World Champions'"! USA! USA! USA! ;) *

Seriously though, I'd like the USA to get through to the second round tonight, they were great to watch against Italy and really deserved to win.

*It helps if you grow up with the sport, and all the best leagues are in Europe.

kleeman
June 22nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
So the unfancied Aussies make it through to the second round unlike the US (yip yip). Next stop Italia! Cripes!

manicka
June 22nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
So the unfancied Aussies make it through to the second round unlike the US (yip yip). Next stop Italia! Cripes!

olay olay olay olay !!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/06/23/roos260.jpg

fuscia
June 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
At least it's not golf. Terrible television, that: OH LOOK, MORE WHITE GUYS WALKING!

even if i didn't play it, i'd still rather watch golf. if they would just show the ball flight, it would be so much less painful.

kleeman
June 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
olay olay olay olay !!!!!

Or how about.

manicka
June 22nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Or how about.

priceless :D

imagine
June 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
The referee in the match Australia vs Croatia was a good example why drugs are bad for you. I guess that and the intensive colour of the yellow and red cards sent him on some psychedelic trip during the match.

rado_london
June 23rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
The referee in the match Australia vs Croatia was a good example why drugs are bad for you. I guess that and the intensive colour of the yellow and red cards sent him on some psychedelic trip during the match.
I agree with you. Or maybe it is alcohol?

ember
June 23rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
I don't watch it - but it is really hard to ignore here in Germany ;)

Skye
June 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
I love watching the world cup- it's a bummer that the US lost, but oh well. I think I'm rooting for Ghana now, because they've played very well so far, and since noone expected them to get out of the first round they have that underdog alure going for them.

But there has been some truely terrible refereeing in this cup. I don't know where the hell they found some of these guys, but they obviously don't know a goalpost from a corner kick.

Stormy Eyes
June 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
It would be good to know where you're from, so we know how biased your answers are :)

I'm an American; I don't give a rip about football. I don't give a rip about any other sport, either, except fencing. Women with swords are hot. :)

givré
June 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
On est en huitieme, on est en huitieme
:p :p :p :KS :KS :KS
8)

warp99
June 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
On est en huitieme, on est en huitieme

What do you mean on the eighth? The final in on the ninth. :cool:

Non capisci la lingua francese. :rolleyes:

mehaga
June 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I don't give a rip about any other sport, either, except fencing.

Then I guess you've never seen this sport: http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/programme/index_uk.asp?SportCode=CU
My life was boring until I was shown that way of having FUN! :p

tsb
June 27th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Until they get fewer players on the field and make the goals much larger I have zero interest in football/soccer. Rugby and American football are much more entertaining IMO.