PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have partitions for both systems?

Somenoob
June 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM
just wondering, i have both just because of one game that is not available for Linux.

anaconda
June 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well not exactly partitions, but I have windows in a separate hard-disk (old slow and small...)

stychman
June 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
I have a samba shared partition on my Ubuntu box so I can easily transfer files between my XP box and my Ubuntu box.

hizaguchi
June 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I've got partitions for both of my systems: FreeBSD and Linux.

beercz
June 21st, 2006, 11:46 PM
I have a winxp partition on my laptop purely for work purposes, although I tend to use Ubuntu (dapper) a lot more both when I am in the office and when I am not.

I am thinking about resurecting an oldish desktop pc at work, sticking XP or Win2K on that machine and then just having ubuntu only on my laptop.

I just have to find the time to do it!

eX0r
June 21st, 2006, 11:51 PM
That should be Windows ( 9x, ME, 2000 , XP )

I dual boot with Windows 2000 Pro. Partition Magic and Linux refuse to agree on the partition table. If I use a Linux partitoner for all partitions, PM complains about incorrect CHS values. If I use PM for everything, sfdisk complains about incorrect CHS values. If I mix, they both complain :D

Is it possible to partition in such a way that both OSes are happy?

acht
June 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
one computer is dual booting and one is just ubuntu

Engnome
June 22nd, 2006, 12:22 AM
4 Used to have windows one one but one fine day (really fine day) about a week ago I got the infamous bsod when i tried to boot it so I overwrote it with DesktopBSD. Then of course my ubuntu is on the biggest partition and I have arch in my testing partition. Also had a fat32 for sharing files. Wish i could fit in some more partitions though, but when I try it says I can only have four partions :(

hizaguchi
June 22nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
^ You can only have 4 primary partitions. You can have alot more extended ones. *BSD takes a while primary partition, but I think Linux will install in extended partitions.

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
I dual-boot between Dapper and WinXP. I haven't booted into windows in Months.

Š■eling
June 22nd, 2006, 01:35 AM
I have a windows (NTFS) partition, Ubuntu /, /swap and /home partitions and a FAT32 partition for exchanging files between XP and ubuntu (FAT being the only FS both can read and write to)

DX 00
June 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
I wanted tried taking my XP partition completaly out but i had to go back because i needed to play some games :-k