PDA

View Full Version : UCE 12.04 64bit screens

stlsaint
June 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
NOTE: This WILL NOT be the official UCE release. I am in talks now with canonical in regards to possible trademark violation with the added customizations and programs. This thread will be edited to reflect this.

Hello all,

A 64bit iso has been created. Some changes have taken place since the last RC I posted and we are now looking ready for a release after the 32bit iso is created. Projected release date is 7 July.

Changes include:
More apps added than before,IE: OpenLP, myunity, ubuntu-tweak, dconf-editor

DansGuardian filters content out the box now with custom firewall

Artwork: wallpapers and themes added. Uniy bar customized for default apps.

Screenshots below from virtual machine! :guitar:

bodhi.zazen
July 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Looks great stlsaint, glad you were able to work out the kinks.

Wiebelhaus
July 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
That looks fantastic! I like it, especially that content filtering out of the box so a tech savvy but not guru level non-profit or Church could set it up and forget it and trust that nothing inappropriate could be searched.

Anastasis
July 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Looks great Saint. I'm happier than a bag of funny right now over this and can't wait to install it.

Do you happen by any chance to know where I could download a wee amd64 torrent of this jewel in the rough?

Wiebelhaus
July 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Looks great Saint. I'm happier than a bag of funny right now over this and can't wait to install it.

Do you happen by any chance to know where I could download a wee amd64 torrent of this jewel in the rough?

PM stlsaint.

Megaptera
July 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks, he says hi-jacking the thread! Some great wallpapers there!

stlsaint
July 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Please see original post at top of thread!

KBD47
July 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
If Ubuntu is giving you grief over the name I'd simply call it Linux Christian Edition (LCE) or Christian Edition Linux (CEL). Might bypass Ubuntu altogether if it's a big problem and go with straight Debian.

Wiebelhaus
July 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
If Ubuntu is giving you grief over the name I'd simply call it Linux Christian Edition (LCE) or Christian Edition Linux (CEL). Might bypass Ubuntu altogether if it's a big problem and go with straight Debian.

(LCE) is a good idea, I like that.

Megaptera
July 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hopefully there won't be problems with Ubuntu seeing as the Ubuntu Christian Edition has been known as such since 2007 - no doubt with the agreement of Ubuntu.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntuce

Also, explained at this FAQ (no date though?) http://ubuntuce.com/faq.htm

stlsaint
July 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hopefully there won't be problems with Ubuntu seeing as the Ubuntu Christian Edition has been known as such since 2007 - no doubt with the agreement of Ubuntu.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntuce

Also, explained at this FAQ (no date though?) http://ubuntuce.com/faq.htm

That is when there where no extra packages added not already in ubuntu main archives, IE: packages from ppa's and such as i have added in this current iso. With the extra packages we technically fall out of compliance unless an exception is made.

Anastasis
July 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Please see original post at top of thread!

I did see the post at the top of the thread.

That's why I wanted to download it.

I just thought I might work on it a bit and then share it with you.

Might even turn these into Debians just in case the negotiations with Ubuntu go south.

Anywho, work looks good. Let me know where I can download it. Thanks.

Blessings. :)

KBD47
July 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Just curious, when will the 32 bit final release arrive?

stlsaint
July 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Just curious, when will the 32 bit final release arrive?

The date was pushed back while waiting for canonical to get back to me. (plus a rouge mysql-server error!) Heres where we stand. If canonical gives us the green light to add in third party apps than that is the direction we will go with the original version created. If not than a UCE release will follow shortly after their answer.

KBD47
July 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the update!

KBD47
July 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Just wondering if you might be better off without the "Ubuntu" name. I did a search and saw that back when the UCE first started there was quite a bit of bad reaction to the UCE from the Ubuntu community. I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition. I think it was overblown, but you might save some headaches just dropping the name. That would also give you the freedom to make any big changes with the distro. Would give the Christian edition a fresh start without the baggage as well.
In any event I would have a 'plan B' in case Ubuntu gives you grief. I'd either drop the 'Ubuntu' and just use 'Linux Christian Edition', or come up with something very original for the name. A single title and your own logo would be nice to keep under one roof various spins. You had mentioned a Debian spin of this.

stlsaint
July 13th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Just wondering if you might be better off without the "Ubuntu" name. I did a search and saw that back when the UCE first started there was quite a bit of bad reaction to the UCE from the Ubuntu community. I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition. I think it was overblown, but you might save some headaches just dropping the name. That would also give you the freedom to make any big changes with the distro. Would give the Christian edition a fresh start without the baggage as well.
In any event I would have a 'plan B' in case Ubuntu gives you grief. I'd either drop the 'Ubuntu' and just use 'Linux Christian Edition', or come up with something very original for the name. A single title and your own logo would be nice to keep under one roof various spins. You had mentioned a Debian spin of this.

That is the plan!!:guitar:

jonathonblake
July 13th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition.

On 23 July 2004, Christian Linux Live was announced. A screenshot was released on 17 December 2004. This distro was not publicly released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro.

On 3 April 2005, Ichthux was released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro to be publicly released.

The following were released in 2007:

Ubuntu Jewish Edition;
Ubuntu Christian Edition;
Ubuntu Muslim Edition;
Ubuntu Satanic Edition;
Ubuntu Bhuddist Edition;
Ichthux migrated to Ubuntu in 2007.

Since 2008, around 100 religiously orientated distros have been released, most of which had one release, and then promptly forgotten.

The flood of religiously orientated Ubuntu spinoffs in 2007 was unprecendented. The long time Linux users didn't know what to make of this phenomena, especially since the distro creators were "unknown" to them.

A couple of concerns were also apparant:

The included software would not be redistributable;
The included software would be abandoned;
Support issues would be tossed at the general community;

Those concerns are legitimate, and have materialized. Fortunately (?), the affected software and distros were relatively obscure, and could be easilly ignored/shunted aside, with little to no harm done to anybody.

I'll skip the opposition that was based purely on religious discrimination, which is probably greater today, than it was five years ago.

jonathon

stlsaint
July 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
On 23 July 2004, Christian Linux Live was announced. A screenshot was released on 17 December 2004. This distro was not publicly released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro.

On 3 April 2005, Ichthux was released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro to be publicly released.

The following were released in 2007:

Ubuntu Jewish Edition;
Ubuntu Christian Edition;
Ubuntu Muslim Edition;
Ubuntu Satanic Edition;
Ubuntu Bhuddist Edition;
Ichthux migrated to Ubuntu in 2007.

Since 2008, around 100 religiously orientated distros have been released, most of which had one release, and then promptly forgotten.

The flood of religiously orientated Ubuntu spinoffs in 2007 was unprecendented. The long time Linux users didn't know what to make of this phenomena, especially since the distro creators were "unknown" to them.

A couple of concerns were also apparant:

The included software would not be redistributable;
The included software would be abandoned;
Support issues would be tossed at the general community;

Those concerns are legitimate, and have materialized. Fortunately (?), the affected software and distros were relatively obscure, and could be easilly ignored/shunted aside, with little to no harm done to anybody.

I'll skip the opposition that was based purely on religious discrimination, which is probably greater today, than it was five years ago.

jonathon

Thanks for that jonathon. You bring up some very valid points. One specifically the software that will not retain long term development. One of many reasons why our UCE/LCE will not be loaded with software that I do not personally speak with the developers about to ensure their end goal of long term support. Also why I like ubuntu as a solid base. The software in here has been sponsored and is watched closely to ensure continued development. A package that does not grow with patches, bug fixes, etc will be removed from repositories.