PDA

View Full Version : No Nexus 7 for me

lindsay7
June 28th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I almost bought one today but I looked at the find print and there is no sd card slot, so you can not add memory. I am out on this product. I think it is dumb that they decided not to offer a sd card slot. My Android phone has 8 gigs on-board and I have a 32 gig sd card installed. All the memory is almost filled, so I can not imagine how the Nexus 7 would work for me with even the 16 gig version. I have a lot of book, some music, and some pictures and a lot of apps installed but not overly loaded with junk, just what I need to get by. I am going to wait and see what comes out from Amazon and Asus in the next few weeks. I am sorry to see the Google Nexus 7 come out with this package.

AllRadioisDead
June 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
It's $200 with a Quad Core CPU and a 12 core GPU. It's part of Google's Nexus program so it will be the first to get the next version of Android (KLP?). It has a 1280x800 IPS display.

For that price I can live without it. Google has made it very easy to download what you need from the device when you need it, and remove it from storage when you need space.

Brimwylf
June 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
+1
16GB is a lot too, do you really need more than 16GB media with you before you get to your computer and are able to upload new stuff?
I have a 4GB card in my current Android phone, and I have never ran past 2GB (this including the occasional movie/TV show episodes and a few albums of music).
I just switch around when I feel like listening to something else. A 16GB non-extendable capacity is not the best reason not to go for a good piece of machinery, atleast that's my oppinion.

mastablasta
June 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
if it has a USB port you can add usb stick or portable disk.
still i think they should have added the card slot...

coastalrocket
June 28th, 2012, 11:16 AM
It has the micro usb so you can always plug in a drive/stick. A bit of management and 16gb is plenty of room.

bjje
June 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I haven't seen much about android I like but at this point, all the OEM's are so risk averse and slow to act that nothing out this year or maybe next will be much more of a machine anyway. At least the graphics and CPU have a shot at being smooth and will be tweaked for google apps that I use so I bought one in the first 15 seconds. I think it was a crime to ditch the SD and HDMI off the original design (MeMo) but since it's going to be just an appliance anyway who really cares? See you in 2014 running an ubuntu studio tablet. :guitar:

Unless of course ubuntu for android happens to run on the nexus7
\\:D/

gefalu2008
June 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
For my taste, Android has had awful publicity for safety & malware problems. I cannot make myself to touch any of these devices. I love Google web products, and would be happy to by Android devices if they were safe as Linux.

aysiu
June 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM
For my taste, Android has had awful publicity for safety & malware problems. I haven't read of a single case of malware on Android that didn't involve a trojan and a user deliberately installing said trojan. All of this "Android malware is on the rise" business is just FUD.

IWantFroyo
June 29th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I haven't read of a single case of malware on Android that didn't involve a trojan and a user deliberately installing said trojan. All of this "Android malware is on the rise" business is just FUD.

+1

I probably would get a Nexus 7 if I didn't already have my HP TouchPad.

I'll probably get a Nexus phone when it's time for my upgrade, however. If I stick with AT&T.

tjeremiah
June 29th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Built by ASUS, Quad-core Tegra 3 processor, and is only $200, its a steal. Wished it had a hdmi port but w/e.

darrenn
June 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Already preordered sounds like its too good to be true. But for once it isn't.

Bandit
June 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
+1
16GB is a lot too, do you really need more than 16GB media with you before you get to your computer and are able to upload new stuff?
I have a 4GB card in my current Android phone, and I have never ran past 2GB (this including the occasional movie/TV show episodes and a few albums of music).
I just switch around when I feel like listening to something else. A 16GB non-extendable capacity is not the best reason not to go for a good piece of machinery, atleast that's my oppinion.

OMG I would fill up 16GB just uploading music I may want to listen to later, not to mention what I am sure I would want to listen to. IMHO anyone putting in less then 64GB base mem is a joke.

AllRadioisDead
June 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
+1

I probably would get a Nexus 7 if I didn't already have my HP TouchPad.

I'll probably get a Nexus phone when it's time for my upgrade, however. If I stick with AT&T.

I am most definitely selling my touchpad for this device.

AllRadioisDead
June 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM
OMG I would fill up 16GB just uploading music I may want to listen to later, not to mention what I am sure I would want to listen to. IMHO anyone putting in less then 64GB base mem is a joke.

Ever since I started using Google music, I've stopped copying music onto my device.

It's all in the cloud, when I go out with my phone, I download a couple of albums I want to listen to, grab my headphones and go. When storage gets tight (which it hasn't yet on my 8gb Microsd), I can remove what I don't want to listen to.

Brimwylf
June 29th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Ever since I started using Google music, I've stopped copying music onto my device.

It's all in the cloud, when I go out with my phone, I download a couple of albums I want to listen to, grab my headphones and go. When storage gets tight (which it hasn't yet on my 8gb Microsd), I can remove what I don't want to listen to.

I do the same thing, minus the Google music bit. I use my local storage for storing. I have a total of 5 albums of music on my phone now, enough to last me the road to work and back.
But yeah, some people like having it all with them at any given time, I have friends that do the same. Still, 16GB seems enough for me, but you can't argue with other people's needs I guess.

Warpnow
June 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM

It sounds like you need to work on having a better idea of what you'll want to listen to or watch.

The battery will die long, long before you run through 16gbs of songs or most video files.

Tombradyhasamachinehead
June 29th, 2012, 06:49 PM
i would love to get it, but i love my kindle fire =). I have amazon prime which means if i switched to the nexus 7 i would lose access to the Kindle books ability to "Borrow a book" and i would also lose access to the amazon prime videos.

tjeremiah
June 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
would something like this work with a mirco usb to hdmi adapter? The only downside I see is that although it can play 1080p videos smoothly, it doesnt have a hdmi so that I can hook it up to an 1080p monitor and enjoy the content from there.

jpeddicord
June 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty peeved about the lack of µSD support, but I'd really only use it to store my music which is already on my phone. At a $200 price point I bought one pretty quickly. Shortly after, decided I wanted the 16 GB one instead (as I still download a bunch of apps), and now I'm waiting for Google to cancel my first order.

Wish their support was a bit more responsive, even on the phone the rep told me "up to 48 hours" for a response from the cancellations department.

Edit: Ok, which one of you works for Google? My order was just resolved. :P

markp1989
June 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I already pre ordered one,I was a bit concerned about lack of storage but I decided to look how much space I have used up on my mobile and other tablets.

Samsung S2 I have 9gb of music and about 1gb of apps
EEE transformer, about 1.5gb of apps, no music
HP touchpad, about the same as the eee transformer.

after seeing that I just decided to go with the 8gb version, I have no intention of storing music on it, I don't think I have ever listened to music on either tablet before, yesterday I did upload my complete collection to google play music so it is there if at any time I decide I want listen to music on it.

from what I have read online the 8gb version will have about 5.5gb of usable space as the OS and recovery partitions etc take up some space, so the 8gb should be plenty for what I need.

edit: looks like its closer to 6gb of usable space https://twitter.com/nerdtalker/status/218239535803412481/photo/1 but for my planned usage its more than enough.

tjeremiah
June 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM
^ my heart sank a litte after reading that it might have only 5 or so gbs of free space.

jpeddicord
June 30th, 2012, 12:14 AM
^ my heart sank a litte after reading that it might have only 5 or so gbs of free space.

'tis why I canceled my 8 GB order... and got the 16 GB instead.

Re: Music; I have ~20 GB of music so neither tablet can store it for me. However, I have it all uploaded on Google Music, so should I really want to listen to music on my tablet I guess I can, though the phone is better for that.

I'm anticipating more storage used for apps here, considering I already have several GBs of app content on my phone's SD card.

Nanur
July 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
I still think that there needs a be a linux/ubuntu powered tablet.

Paqman
July 1st, 2012, 07:35 AM
I still think that there needs a be a linux/ubuntu powered tablet.

This is a Linux powered tablet. You might see a specifically Ubuntu one at some point in the future, although not likely from a big name.

aysiu
July 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Android uses a Linux kernel.

WinterMadness
July 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
I almost bought one today but I looked at the find print and there is no sd card slot, so you can not add memory. I am out on this product. I think it is dumb that they decided not to offer a sd card slot. My Android phone has 8 gigs on-board and I have a 32 gig sd card installed. All the memory is almost filled, so I can not imagine how the Nexus 7 would work for me with even the 16 gig version. I have a lot of book, some music, and some pictures and a lot of apps installed but not overly loaded with junk, just what I need to get by. I am going to wait and see what comes out from Amazon and Asus in the next few weeks. I am sorry to see the Google Nexus 7 come out with this package.

store everything online. thats how everything is moving anyway. the more you think about it, the more it becomes apparent that storing things on your own hard drive doesnt make sense. theres no reason what so ever to have all of your music on a local hard drive when things like google music exist for free.

jpeddicord
July 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
store everything online. thats how everything is moving anyway. the more you think about it, the more it becomes apparent that storing things on your own hard drive doesnt make sense. theres no reason what so ever to have all of your music on a local hard drive when things like google music exist for free.

Well... Google Music isn't a good answer. Using that, you're locked into their player and their service, combined with their rather poor (at least on Linux) music uploader.

Case in point: on Android, I use PowerAmp as my player of choice since it supports Replay Gain and gapless playback, but if I were to use Google Music I could no longer do that. I *do* actually upload all of my music to Google Music, but as a day-to-day service it's rather lacking.

tjeremiah
July 1st, 2012, 10:04 PM
I agree when it comes to music but personal files like pictures, detailed documents, wont be entering any cloud.

irv
July 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have another thread out here where we talked about the Nexus 7 plus other Google issus.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2011567&page=6
My wife and myself each have a Nook and I just got her a Chromebook. I really don't have a problem with storage,because I don't keep that much on any of these devices. Keep all my files in the cloud.
Just about all of Google apps run off the cloud so you don't need storage for them. I subscribe to some magazines which I keep on Ubuntu One. It only takes a few seconds to download them and after I read them I just remove them. All my books and apps are in my Barns and Noble account online also.
Everything run on the Internet when it come to the Chromebook and I thing Google is doing the same for the Nexus 7. I don't need one at the moment, but even without a SD card slot, it is a good buy for the price. I think I would rather have one then my Nook.

aysiu
July 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
Actually, even if you use the Nexus 7 the way Google intended (based on the keynote at Google I/O), storage is essential, because you're allowed to store cloud-based stuff (movies, music) offline to play back in situations you don't necessarily have a good internet connection for streaming (many airplanes, for example). If I were to get a Nexus 7, I'd probably opt for the 16 GB option.

darrenn
July 2nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Great review on anandtech about Nexus 7. It beats out ipad 3 on some benchmarks. All the reviews from the big tech sights have given it great ratings. Some USB-OTG functionality is supported from the mini usb port. Might be able to add storage.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

irv
July 3rd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Here we go again:
Nokia claims Nexus 7 tablet infringes on its patents (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57465444-94/nokia-claims-nexus-7-tablet-infringes-on-its-patents/)

tjeremiah
July 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Here we go again:
Nokia claims Nexus 7 tablet infringes on its patents (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57465444-94/nokia-claims-nexus-7-tablet-infringes-on-its-patents/)

should be fun and annoying at the same time.

irv
July 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
NVIDIA Tegra 3 Drives Google's $199 Nexus 7 Tablet (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/news/article.asp?docKey=600-201206271500MRKTWIREUSPR_____904186-1&params=timestamp%7C%7C06/27/2012%203:00%20PM%20ET%7C%7Cheadline%7C%7CNVIDIA%20 Tegra%203%20Drives%20Google%27s%20%24199%20Nexus%2 07%20Tablet%7C%7CdocSource%7C%7CMarketwire%7C%7Cpr ovider%7C%7CACQUIREMEDIA%7C%7Cbridgesymbol%7C%7CUS %3BNVDA&ticker=NVDA:US)

Built for Google Play™, Nexus 7 showcases the best of Google with super-fast web browsing, console-quality gaming, seamless multitasking and flawless playback of HD movies and videos.

irv
July 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
You really want to take a closer look at the Nexus 7?
Nexus 7 gets teardown treatment (http://www.slashgear.com/nexus-7-gets-teardown-treatment-03236885/)
220589 220590

Henkdroid
July 4th, 2012, 12:02 AM
If anyone is worrying about storage space, I'm fairly confident that you could share folders of music and the like from your computer, and only put on stuff that you'd take away from home or you don't want shared on your network.

vasa1
July 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM
It's supposed to reach India by October according to this: Google’s Nexus tablet launching in India in October (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/personal-tech/gadgets-special/Googles-Nexus-tablet-launching-in-India-in-October/articleshow/14670066.cms) depending on stock availability.

krustenBrot
July 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm getting one. Although I will have to import it. I can live without google music, movies, books .. :)
Asus + Specs + Price + Adnroid 4.1 = got me :)

gefalu2008
July 10th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I haven't read of a single case of malware on Android that didn't involve a trojan and a user deliberately installing said trojan. All of this "Android malware is on the rise" business is just FUD.

Maybe some of it is FUD. However, today it was reported here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/android_trustgo_china_mobile/) that

Malware is frequently turning up on the official Android marketplace Google Play – although admittedly less frequently than on some of the more dubious third party sites.

Moreover,

Security researchers are warning of yet another Android malware outbreak which has spread to nine app stores and infected 100,000 with code designed to covertly purchase apps and content from China Mobile’s Mobile Market.

Once downloaded, the Trojan will automatically place orders for paid content and apps at China Mobile’s official Mobile Market online store without informing the user.

Google is heading for trouble! These security issues may have become intractable by now.

I hope that Android security problems will not spill over to Linux even in the long run, although Android will be ever more closely integrated with our safe operating system.

Google is also loosing the trust of its customer base as it discards popular services such as iGoogle.

Copper Bezel
July 10th, 2012, 05:32 AM
What I'd worry about is if Google becomes the last platform (after Apple and Microsoft) to start making steps to lock the system down to trusted software sources only. "Malware" stories like this could make that happen - and honestly, I'm not sure that I can argue it's a bad thing for the average user.

Asus + Specs + Price + Adnroid 4.1 = got me
Ditto. It's exactly the tablet I wanted from exactly the right make, and I can't believe it's selling for a price I can afford. (Well, sure, missing the back-facing camera. Otherwise, exactly the tablet I wanted from exactly the right make.)

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I just updated my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (16GB) to ICS an also added the much hyped Google Now to the mix. I have HSDPA, WIFI, SD CARD slot, all the apps I want from JB and can now run Chrome on my tablet. Everything I need in a 7" tablet right there!

aysiu
July 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Maybe some of it is FUD. However, today it was reported here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/android_trustgo_china_mobile/) that

Moreover,

Google is heading for trouble! These security issues may have become intractable by now.

I hope that Android security problems will not spill over to Linux even in the long run, although Android will be ever more closely integrated with our safe operating system.

Google is also loosing the trust of its customer base as it discards popular services such as iGoogle. What you're linking to is the trojans I'm talking about that people are choosing to install. No malware is just automatically infecting Android devices.

irv
July 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
C/Net had a review video on the Nexus 7.
Bad battery life, wifi only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6vQj10-LRE&feature=player_embedded#t=154s

tjeremiah
July 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I just updated my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (16GB) to ICS an also added the much hyped Google Now to the mix. I have HSDPA, WIFI, SD CARD slot, all the apps I want from JB and can now run Chrome on my tablet. Everything I need in a 7" tablet right there!

how much you payed for it?

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
how much you payed for it?

I paid £350 for it a few years ago. With 3G(HSDPA) SD CARD and front facing camera, flash, good rear facing camera, I think it's a great little tab. Along with a micro blue tooth mouse, it acts as an office in my pocket. I will get 10 hours average use from it (benefit of not having lots of CPU cores :))

You can pick them up for £170 now and if I were spending my own cash, I would get one of these and update to ICS and within the next couple of weeks JellyBean should be available for CM9

darrenn
July 12th, 2012, 03:56 AM
C/Net had a review video on the Nexus 7.
Bad battery life, wifi only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6vQ...mbedded#t=154s

Yeah Nexus 7 is absolutely terrible. Read some of these reviews. One site only gave it 4.5 stars out of 5.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nexus-7-jelly-bean-android-41,3239.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-11/google-s-nexus-7-tablet-crushes-kindle-rich-jaroslovsky.html

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/07/nexus-7-will-turn-a-profit-for-google-and-asus/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5931/asus-google-nexus-7-android-tablet-review

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/09/nexus-7-tablet-review/

tjeremiah
July 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I am seriously thinking now if I should get this for my technically challenged, Windows virus receiving sister. The pre-order special is still up and she has also wanted a Kindle fire but I shot that down because I seen it as a waste at the time. Tough tough decision... :mad:

darrenn
July 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Linus Torvalds4:59 PM - Public
Google is paying me back for my complaints about G+ events: they finally sent me shipping notice for the Nexus 7 I had on pre-order last evening... and the link to the UPS tracking number keeps coming up "Not in our system yet".

Now every time I try to check what the expected delivery date is, I visualize a few google engineers sitting in their cubicles drinking beer, giving each other high fives and saying "Look, he just clicked it *again*".

I can almost hear their evil cackling.

Geez, the guy has a nobel prize for his linux work. Couldn't he get a free one or a discount? :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

JDShu
July 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Geez, the guy has a nobel prize for his linux work. Couldn't he get a free one or a discount? :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

He pre-ordered it two days ago and already has had it shipped to him... I think he's already getting special treatment!

But yes, Google has terrible customer service. They really need to work on that.

alexan
July 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM
For me is simple.

200$ = ~163€ (http://www.google.com/#q=200+usd+in+euros)

So: Nexus == ~163€... may buy
Nexus == more than 164€... f. google and goes chinatablet.

gap
July 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Did you get your Nexus 7? Does it work well with Ubuntu? Can you access the tablet's file system when it's connected to your computer and copy files both ways? Can you copy any type of file or are there restrictions? Thanks.

jpeddicord
July 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Did you get your Nexus 7? Does it work well with Ubuntu? Can you access the tablet's file system when it's connected to your computer and copy files both ways? Can you copy any type of file or are there restrictions? Thanks.

Got mine. Haven't tried to hook it up for file transfer, but it uses MTP if you're curious. Will probably give it a go tonight.

gap
July 18th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Got mine. Haven't tried to hook it up for file transfer, but it uses MTP if you're curious. Will probably give it a go tonight.

Thanks. If you remember, please update me when you do a file transfer.

aysiu
July 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
My guess is the MTP implementation on the Nexus 7 is the same as on the Galaxy Nexus. As long as you have MTP support installed, it's just drag-and-drop either way... any file type. It's just storage.

gap
July 18th, 2012, 07:55 PM
My guess is the MTP implementation on the Nexus 7 is the same as on the Galaxy Nexus. As long as you have MTP support installed, it's just drag-and-drop either way... any file type. It's just storage.

Sounds great!

darrenn
July 19th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I should get mine soon. Also you can root it and I believe you can then add more storage.

jpeddicord
July 19th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I should get mine soon. Also you can root it and I believe you can then add more storage.

Doesn't magically add an SD slot, though you are able to use USB-OTG if you're willing to lug around a hard drive.

jpeddicord
July 19th, 2012, 02:49 AM
So here's the deal with MTP:

You need mtp-tools and mtpfs. You *may* need to add the device as a udev rule so that permissions are correct. Mounting is manual, as it unmounting. Nautilus does not like it, had to navigate through a terminal but it works.

Followed some of the instructions here to get it going:
http://stevepdp.org/2012/07/18/how-to-transfer-nexus-7-data-using-ubuntu-12-04/

Going to tinker with it some more later. In the meantime, if you want an classic mass-storage style of management, try AirDroid. You can upload to and manage your device's filesystem in a browser, and it's much less of a hassle.

Copper Bezel
July 19th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I see myself depending on Dropbox a fair bit. Which, honestly, seems more convenient than hooking the thing up physically in any case. (And not altogether that much slower for me, with a fast internet connection and a slow USB2.0 interface.) Comforting to know that it can be browsed, though, even if I have to mount it from a terminal.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 19th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Doesn't magically add an SD slot, though you are able to use USB-OTG if you're willing to lug around a hard drive.

The Nexus 7 doesn't do storage with USB-OTG out of the box. But you can root it (nice and easy: just a few commands with adb in the Android SDK), and install Stickmount. From the looks of it, you should be fine after that point:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766260

darrenn
July 19th, 2012, 05:15 AM
[/QUOTE]Doesn't magically add an SD slot, though you are able to use USB-OTG if you're willing to lug around a hard drive.[/QUOTE]

What about a 32gb usb flashdrive? You can get them very small now. But still not a perfect solution, because the adapter is still rather big.

mastablasta
July 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
hmmm storage, yes... let's say that full 16GB is available.

music - if mp3 is about 5mb in size in average (many are/can be less) that would be about 3000 songs. if each song is about 4 minutes long that is about 200 hours of music. battery needs to be refiled probably about 30 times if not more to listen to all of them.

movies - since i am not sure why you would need blue ray quality on such a small device i would go with divx rip where most movies are about 700 MB big. so that brings us to about 22 movies. if each of them is an hour an a half long it would be enough to film your whole day with movies and still you wouldnt' see them all. whole day if the battery worked so long and if oyu dint' have to eat,sleep... well you get the point i hope

the point is that since this device is ment for media consumpiton and that one can only consume so much, the storage really isn't such a big issue. especially if you could attach portable disk to it if you REALLY needed more. but even 8Gb might be enough if all you do is browse internet with it at home or somewhere where wi-fi is available (online storage anyone? UbuntuOne/Google Drive/Dropbox/Spideroak...). even if you are on a transatlantic flight it would be enough to store some movies and such (at least 16GB). in my experience i can't watch movies non stop on those flights anyway. and besides sometimes it's good to do somethign else than stare at the screen of some device non-stop.

edit i just found thta miniUSB-usb adapter costs about 6 eur here and 32GB usb key is arround 20 EUR.
i see no problem with the storage...

jpeddicord
July 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
The Nexus 7 doesn't do storage with USB-OTG out of the box. But you can root it (nice and easy: just a few commands with adb in the Android SDK), and install Stickmount. From the looks of it, you should be fine after that point:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766260

Aye, that's what I was referring to.

I'm holding off on rooting for now, as I may have to trade it for a replacement. Mine appears to have the screen lift issue (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/18/nexus-7-suffering-from-dead-pixels-and-lifting-displays/), which makes me a little uneasy about using it.

snipestech
August 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Best tablet ever Google has everything in the cloud I have all my music on Google music pictures stored on Google plus all instantly saved from my phone also for extra I rooted installed stick mount and now can access my USB card reader from USB cable I ordered off of eBay 3 bucks.I have it fr in case although I have yet to really need it oh and also I have Google drive I forgot but I think its like 3 dollars a month for 25Gb
one more thing I have mantano reader with 1gb cloud sync for books I download $1 a month and that way I access from my galaxy s3 and the nexus right where I left off.
Just awesome.

leclerc65
August 29th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I use Air Playit to stream music and video at home. For travel I use TuneIn. I have a 16G iPad but both apps
exist in Android. 16G is more than enough for me.

Roasted
August 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
My 2c on the Nexus 7:

It's the first tablet I actually feel is worth it. The Galaxy Tab, iPad, you name it - far too expensive for what you get. Anybody out there can preach to me that mobile technology is expensive blah blah, I hear you. But the Nexus 7 is the only tablet that has actually shouted to me, "hey, here I am - and I'm worth every single penny." I haven't felt that way about any other tablet despite the fact I've used many of them (I got to tinker with quite a few that we were testing for work).

The no SD card thing isn't really a big deal for me. For what I need on a day to day basis, 16GB will be overkill. That being said, for what I'd LIKE to have on a long boring trip, even 64GB would be too little. If I'm going on a massively long trip and I want to have a wide array of TV shows, concerts, music, etc with me, I'll certainly need more than 64GB. That's where USB OTG comes in. I rooted my device in Ubuntu using the SDK. Afterwards, using USB OTG Helper (app), things worked out great. What's better is my 2.5" 500GB WD hard drive is fully powered by the Nexus 7's USB port. Plug in, transfer media, unmount, over and done. Nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, I did have a slight issue with screen lift on the left side as many others have had. Instead of being picky and returning it (mine was very, very minimal) I easily dealt with it. What was more disappointing is somewhere between emailing a co-worker in my kitchen until I walked out to my car to go to work, my screen cracked in two places. No, I didn't drop it, or slip, fall, get hit by a car, get trampled by a hoard of anxious black friday shoppers at the local Wal-Mart, etc. I looked down and thought there was hair on the tablet, but sure enough the screen was cracked.

I contacted ASUS... a company that I'm growing increasingly disappointed with. They point blank told me that if my tablet was cracked out of the box, it'd be a different story, but I'd likely have to pay for it (which sounds like it's about 170, based on what other users said). I informed them that under absolutely no circumstances will I be spending a dime on repairing a 2 week old device who's screen mysteriously cracked, especially with the hundreds/thousands of users confirming they have screen lift/cracked screens as well. The rep of course was a little resistant, but then I fired out the whole lawyer/BBB/attorney general blob, something I will absolutely act on if this situation goes south, and he backed off. ASUS received my Nexus 7 today according to UPS tracking, so we'll see how it goes. It's not a fight I intend to lose.

That being said, I love everything about the Nexus 7. It's an incredibly powerful tablet and has actually set a new standard of bang-vs-buck in terms of what you get out of a tablet. I'm anxious to see what new devices come about as a result of this device's launch. I really hope I can get my Nexus 7 back soon. It worked fabulously. I even had the Arkon tablet mount for my car and bought CoPilot Live Premium (10 bucks) for full offline map usage... fantastic for long road trips.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure I'd be as excited about the Nexus 7 if it was really a Nexus 10. I just feel that 7 inch tablets are the absolute optimal size. Couple that screen size with that amount of power and flexibility... perfect match.

Lucradia
August 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM
It has the micro usb so you can always plug in a drive/stick. A bit of management and 16gb is plenty of room.

And they can come in 32 GB iirc.

alexan
September 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Here in Italy Nexus 7 equipped with 16GiB is priced 249€... which is 313$ (instead the 250$ pay us citizen) and, basically, mean Asus make fun of their EU clients.

Definitely I wouldn't waste money in the Nexus 7 even by buy it second handed.
Today value of this tablet is 199$ (158€)... in two~three years it's value should drop to ~125$ (~100€); in EU with the inflated value people wouldn't feel to sell it under the 190€ after those 2~3 years: which mean is a product designed specifically for the trashbin.

I am more looking for a serious tablet made on Nvidia Kai (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&gl=uk&tbm=nws&q=nvidia+kai&oq=nvidia+kai) platform for the right price.

8GiB and 16GiB "difference" is also a way to make fun of their clients (both US and EU)... a 16GiB Micro SD cost ~10€ (12$) and a 32GiB ~20€ (25$); and with SD slot I can easily switch between many.

A cheap tablet that come expensive. No joke!

TheMTtakeover
September 3rd, 2012, 02:48 AM
i would love to get it, but i love my kindle fire =). I have amazon prime which means if i switched to the nexus 7 i would lose access to the Kindle books ability to "Borrow a book" and i would also lose access to the amazon prime videos.

I hear you on that. I am excited for the next Kindle Fire.

mamamia88
September 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Can anyone comment on the wifi reception of the nexus 7? my phone gets no signal in my basement while my netbook is completely usable. Got my netbook hooked up to an external monitor and thinking of getting a nexus 7 to sit on the coffee table in my basement.

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM
I have a Nexus 7, my home is a Solid Timber home, these are usually quite harsh on WiFi reception. I am using as my WiFi router an Apple Airport Extreme N. Now my home office is approx 20 meters (21 yards) from the Router with six walls in between. I can use my Nexus in there easily and have three of the blue bars illuminated on the WiFi icon.

Roasted
September 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
I have a Nexus 7, my home is a Solid Timber home, these are usually quite harsh on WiFi reception. I am using as my WiFi router an Apple Airport Extreme N. Now my home office is approx 20 meters (21 yards) from the Router with six walls in between. I can use my Nexus in there easily and have three of the blue bars illuminated on the WiFi icon.

I had very good success with the wifi of my Nexus 7. I specifically ran a separate access point to get closer to the back wall of the house so I could get wifi on the deck. Of course, it has a separate SSID, but no big deal. Where some laptops would fall short of the main router SSID and need the closer AP, the Nexus would retain connection with the main router. Can't complain there. It just means I can drag a chair off the deck and sit out in the grass with wifi on the additional AP then. :P

That being said, I'm enjoying approximately 0 wifi range right now since I'm still waiting to hear back from the ASUS RMA facility about my screen that mysteriously cracked somewhere between sending an email and walking to my car. I've since spoken to several people who have had this happen as well. More headaches to come, I'm sure.

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
I have had my Nexus for a couple of months and all is going great. as is my Galaxy S3, Such a pleasure to be out of the Apple grip

mamamia88
September 3rd, 2012, 04:46 AM
I had very good success with the wifi of my Nexus 7. I specifically ran a separate access point to get closer to the back wall of the house so I could get wifi on the deck. Of course, it has a separate SSID, but no big deal. Where some laptops would fall short of the main router SSID and need the closer AP, the Nexus would retain connection with the main router. Can't complain there. It just means I can drag a chair off the deck and sit out in the grass with wifi on the additional AP then. :P

That being said, I'm enjoying approximately 0 wifi range right now since I'm still waiting to hear back from the ASUS RMA facility about my screen that mysteriously cracked somewhere between sending an email and walking to my car. I've since spoken to several people who have had this happen as well. More headaches to come, I'm sure. if you don't mind me asking does running a separate ap reduce the speed in half or anything? i have a dd-wrt bridge setup for my xbox/ps3 and am wondering if it would be worth turning into a repeater bridge? would it strengthen the signal at all or just repeat the same weak signal?

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 04:48 AM
running a range booster should be fine.

Roasted
September 3rd, 2012, 05:45 AM
if you don't mind me asking does running a separate ap reduce the speed in half or anything? i have a dd-wrt bridge setup for my xbox/ps3 and am wondering if it would be worth turning into a repeater bridge? would it strengthen the signal at all or just repeat the same weak signal?

I'm not sure how it would cut down on speed in any way, really. Whether I'm connected to the router or the AP, I'm still 1 client no matter what SSID I'm hitting, so the LAN itself will still have to serve a singular client's worth of bandwidth.

The only speed difference in my case would be the fact I have a wireless N router vs wireless G access point, but due to position in the house the AP has the +1 in regard to being a more concentrated signal on the deck.

I have had my Nexus for a couple of months and all is going great. as is my Galaxy S3, Such a pleasure to be out of the Apple grip

I bet, man. Good devices, but the whole ecosystem is scary enough to keep me away. I did manage to salvage a Powerbook G4 a while back, however I liberated it with a Debian install. Besides that I haven't really owned an Apple product. I've used them extensively enough at work to know that their fleet of devices isn't really anything I want entrenched involvement with.

darrenn
September 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
That being said, I'm enjoying approximately 0 wifi range right now since I'm still waiting to hear back from the ASUS RMA facility about my screen that mysteriously cracked somewhere between sending an email and walking to my car. I've since spoken to several people who have had this happen as well. More headaches to come, I'm sure.

Oh the joys of being a early adopter. I have the problem with the screen on the lowest brightness setting. When Asus said they were rushed to make this tablet they weren't kidding. Already purchased a case for my Nexus and when it arrives not going to take it off.

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Oh the joys of being a early adopter. I have the problem with the screen on the lowest brightness setting. When Asus said they were rushed to make this tablet they weren't kidding. Already purchased a case for my Nexus and when it arrives not going to take it off.

I travel a lot, I have flown at least 10 times in the near three months I have had my Nexus 7 and taken numerous road trips with it and it is still in pristine condition, I don't have a cover for it.

Copper Bezel
September 4th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Edit - I somehow missed that there was an entire page I hadn't read, and replied to something irrelevant. Um, I agree, the WiFi reception on Nexus 7 is awesome.

slooksterpsv
September 9th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I purchased a Nexus 7 the 16GB version. With my music in the cloud, it works out great, cause I just use the storage for apps which puts a lot of it's data in the cloud as well (Gmail, Google Drive, etc.). I'm rarely on my computer anymore cause I just surf the web, watch movies/tv, etc. on my tablet. I use my computer for programming, gaming (like GW2), and various odds and ends stuff.

I highly recommend the Nexus 7. It's still Linux =D (and not a lot of people realize that)

alexan
September 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Here, in EU, Asus is trying to push the 16gb model (8gb currently "unavailable") at 249€ ( 318$) while soon Kindle fire 7 (8gb) will be sold at 159€ ( 204$).

I am just sorry for those who will trash their money for the overpriced "cheap" Nexus Tablet; anyway, no wonder why Asus desperately needed "Google's blessing" in order to sell more tablet if used to such practices.

irv
September 9th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Here, in EU, Asus is trying to push the 16gb model (8gb currently "unavailable") at 249€ ( 318$) while soon Kindle fire 7 (8gb) will be sold at 159€ ( 204$).

I am just sorry for those who will trash their money for the overpriced "cheap" Nexus Tablet; anyway, no wonder why Asus desperately needed "Google's blessing" in order to sell more tablet if used to such practices.

Now that the new Kindle Fire is out we can compare it to the Nexus 7.
Amazon New Kindle Fire vs Google Nexus 7 (http://www.androidauthority.com/amazon-new-kindle-fire-vs-google-nexus-7-113262/)

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM
For me the Asus Nexus 7 does all that I wanted and does it very well, and no hitches. I paid $NZ390 and would have paid more if needed as it is the best small form factor Tablet that I could find.

Rifester
September 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Love my Nexus 7, that is all.

spaceshipguy
September 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Is the screen sensitive enough to sketch on. The screen of the iPad isn't, but it's close. If I can create digital art on the bus, I'm purchasing.

irv
September 14th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I thought about getting a Nexus 7 after reading some good things that was said about it. Now that Amazon's new Kindle is out and I have had a chance to compare them, I am thinking that the Nexus 7 is still the better choice. It has it's pros and cons so I am still weighting them against one another.

I have a Nook now so I have been taking my time in picking one. Also I have thought about the Samsung Tab2 at: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-7-Inch-Student-White/dp/B008KWRTH2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347633200&sr=1-3&keywords=samsung+galaxy+tablet

Maybe I can get some feed back on this.

Docaltmed
September 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
The Nexus 7 nails it for me. For music, I use my Ubuntu One app; books and magazines, Aldiko, Calibre Companion, and Nook (my e-reader was a nook, I still have some books DRMed into it). Netflix works fine, though I will prefer Amazon, as I have a Prime account, and Amazon isn't happy with the Nexus.

Totally nails it. Google Now is useless, but I have been using Speaktoit Assistant for a while now, it suits my needs perfectly. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

irv
September 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM
The Nexus 7 nails it for me. For music, I use my Ubuntu One app; books and magazines, Aldiko, Calibre Companion, and Nook (my e-reader was a nook, I still have some books DRMed into it). Netflix works fine, though I will prefer Amazon, as I have a Prime account, and Amazon isn't happy with the Nexus.

Totally nails it. Google Now is useless, but I have been using Speaktoit Assistant for a while now, it suits my needs perfectly. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

Thank for the input. I appreciate the input.

alexan
September 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Amazon New Kindle Fire vs Google Nexus 7 (http://www.androidauthority.com/amazon-new-kindle-fire-vs-google-nexus-7-113262/)
Review seems telling Nexus is big winner...and I am not surprised, that's something Google is very good at: advertise.

Advertisement is basically selling you something with small little price raise for something you want... giving you back something you "may" be interested into.

So far I am used to wifi I never used Bluetooth on my smartphone: I am more than glad to see useless feature gone away for price cut-off. GPS is good, but I've already it my smartphone and so camera.

quad-core CPU is absolute charm... and surely I would have choose Nexus over Kindle if it was put on EU market at the fair price of 200$. but, no thanks: I'll probably go for a 10 inch China tablet for 60~70$ until a more serious company begin provide not-inflated price.
Probably more interested in a RaspberryPi Made in UK rather a US/Taiwan's China reseller with inflated prices.

Statia
September 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Here in Italy Nexus 7 equipped with 16GiB is priced 249€... which is 313$ (instead the 250$ pay us citizen) and, basically, mean Asus make fun of their EU clients.

It is not fair to completely blame this on Asus or Google. Italy, like most EU countries has a Value Added Tax, which in Italy is 21%. This alone bumps a $249 price to €230.

It is the same here: only the 16GB model is available here, which costs €250.
I am guessing US retailers are not allowed by Google to ship them to the EU and even if they were it would not matter: you would pay for shipping, customs would still slap the VAT on, the mail will front that for you and then charge you €15 euros for performing that service that you did not ask for.

I am going to ask a friend to pick one up for me in the US and I'll pick it up next time we meet.

(I ordered a LCD for use with lcdproc a while ago in Hong Kong. Base cost: $52. Shipping: $25. Extra cost in taxes and handling when it turned up on my doorstep: €29. So that is €88 for a product that costs €40. When I needed a second one I just had a friend bring it. )

Warpnow
September 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM

That review is horrible.

It compares the old kindle at $169 to the Nexus 7 at $199, rather than compare the new Kindle at $199 to the Nexus 7 at $199.

It uses the dimensions and specs of the old Kindle at the slashed price, despite a newer model being on the market at the price of the Nexus 7. Pretty shameful to be honest.

irv
September 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
That review is horrible.

It compares the old kindle at $169 to the Nexus 7 at $199, rather than compare the new Kindle at $199 to the Nexus 7 at $199.

It uses the dimensions and specs of the old Kindle at the slashed price, despite a newer model being on the market at the price of the Nexus 7. Pretty shameful to be honest.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/tablets/20992/five-reasons-google-nexus-7-beats-kindle-fire-hd
EDIT: Also this one: http://mashable.com/2012/09/06/kindle-fire-vs-nexus/

Warpnow
September 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM
http://blogs.computerworld.com/tablets/20992/five-reasons-google-nexus-7-beats-kindle-fire-hd
EDIT: Also this one: http://mashable.com/2012/09/06/kindle-fire-vs-nexus/

There are pros and cons to both device.

The Kindle Fire has more Media, far and away. Books, movies, and music-- Amazon's been at the forefront for years and years. Not even apple can compete with this collection yet.

It also has more options, being able to opt for the the 1024 x 600, 1280x800, or 1920 x 1200 screen, depending on what you need and want to pay.

Both devices lack the one thing that would truly have set them apart, which is expandable storage such an SD card slot. Of course its obvious why this is, both companies aim to sell you their content, so its best if it is more difficult to provide your own.

The Kindle fire also has more storage at the same price point, which will be beneficial. Essentially its 8gb vs 16gb, and 16gb vs 32gn, at the even price comparison for models.

They are both amazing devices. It depends primarily on your needs.

I am disappointed the nexus 7 doesn't have a higher resolution version like the kindle though. An extra $100 for the 1920x1200 8.9" LCD is well worth it.

irv
September 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
The Kindle 1920x1200 8.9" LCD is not due out until Oct. I thought about this, but then I read how Amazon Kindle has all these ads. And in one review it said you have to pay to remove these ads.

My wife and I both have Nooks and the thing I don't like about the Nook is we are locked into B&N store, and if I go with the Kindle we are again locked into Amazon store. But I have Amazon prime which makes the Kindle appealing for Movies. Another thing I don't like about B&N is they charge for everything and that includes many thing that is free elsewhere.

Now I understand that Nexus 7 has Google Store, but is able to use Amazon store, but you need a add on app. (I don't know if I am right on this one). Also I would love a table that I could use with all or any store I wish too.

alexan
September 15th, 2012, 10:32 PM
It is not fair to completely blame this on Asus or Google. Italy, like most EU countries has a Value Added Tax, which in Italy is 21%. This alone bumps a $249 price to €230.

It is the same here: only the 16GB model is available here, which costs €250.
I am guessing US retailers are not allowed by Google to ship them to the EU and even if they were it would not matter: you would pay for shipping, customs would still slap the VAT on, the mail will front that for you and then charge you €15 euros for performing that service that you did not ask for.
Cheapest tablet here start from ~70€ (100$) and include '7 inch screen, microSD slot, host USB (you can use compatible 3g dongle) with 21% VAT and 2 years warranty (mandatory by law)
Of course, very cheap materials and bad CPU (800mhz~1ghz) but still I don't see appealing nearly 200% price raise for something more advertised. I'd rather buy a cheap one and wait for the one at right price (150€) for the right stuff (1gb-ram, dual core, microsd, host USB, microHdmi).
in the end I would had spend 220€ (70+150) but with extra tablet (make it wifi-hotspot, ebook reader, downloader or anything come up I'm my mind). In this way: if the product for the price I WANT to pay for don't come... I just don't need to buy.

150€ for a Nexus now? maybe (lack of microsd still make me wonder), but +250€? no way.

Too bad nexus will sell well in EU (looks like there's still some people with money to waste) so I'll need to wait longer for 150€ tablet I am looking for.

aysiu
September 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
My wife and I both have Nooks and the thing I don't like about the Nook is we are locked into B&N store, and if I go with the Kindle we are again locked into Amazon store. Actually, Nook's read regular ePubs that you can get from the library or from free download sites of public domain content. They also can read books bought from Google Play.

And by "read" I mean natively and without software conversion.

irv
September 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Actually, Nook's read regular ePubs that you can get from the library or from free download sites of public domain content. They also can read books bought from Google Play.

And by "read" I mean natively and without software conversion.

Yes I have downloaded epub files and keep them in Ubuntuone. On my Nook I go to Ubuntuone and download them to my Nook. See my post #2505 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12242148#post12242148 In face read the next couple of post after that.

aysiu
September 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I hope this isn't considered necromancy (feel free to close otherwise), but I just got a Nexus 7, and I love this device. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty on making this call after only one day, but I definitely see this as being my main at-home device, with my laptop for major stuff (extensive typing of LibreOffice documents, for example).

My wife and I have had an iPad 2 for a while now, and it mainly collects dust. Occasionally, we'll use it to stream Netflix, but it's too big and heavy to be comfortably viewed in bed. And our smartphones are too tiny.

The Nexus 7 screen is great, the video rendering is without any kind of stuttering. It also (with much better specs, of course) runs Jelly Bean much better than my Galaxy Nexus does. If you're not too hung up on the expandable storage issue, I'd highly recommend this device.

irv
September 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I hope this isn't considered necromancy (feel free to close otherwise), but I just got a Nexus 7, and I love this device. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty on making this call after only one day, but I definitely see this as being my main at-home device, with my laptop for major stuff (extensive typing of LibreOffice documents, for example).

My wife and I have had an iPad 2 for a while now, and it mainly collects dust. Occasionally, we'll use it to stream Netflix, but it's too big and heavy to be comfortably viewed in bed. And our smartphones are too tiny.

The Nexus 7 screen is great, the video rendering is without any kind of stuttering. It also (with much better specs, of course) runs Jelly Bean much better than my Galaxy Nexus does. If you're not too hung up on the expandable storage issue, I'd highly recommend this device.
Thanks for all this good info. I guess my big question is Amazon? I have a prime membership and I have been watching some old TV shows I can't get elsewhere. So can you watch movies from Amazon on the Nexus 7? Right now I do Netfix an Hulu on my Nook, but when I try doing Amazon via the web browser on the Nook I have some issues.

aysiu
September 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all this good info. I guess my big question is Amazon? I have a prime membership and I have been watching some old TV shows I can't get elsewhere. So can you watch movies from Amazon on the Nexus 7? Right now I do Netfix an Hulu on my Nook, but when I try doing Amazon via the web browser on the Nook I have some issues.
I've never been a big Amazon Prime Instant Video fan (I do have Amazon Prime--I've just found the Prime streaming a bit difficult to navigate). I know they just recently released an app for the iPad. I would say if you're utterly dependent on Prime Instant Video, the Nexus 7 is not for you (yet--Amazon may still release an app for Android in the future).

I believe the Nexus 7 is a better spec'ed tablet than the Nook Tablet, but I haven't yet tried streaming Amazon Instant Video via a side-loaded Flash through Firefox. I'll try that out later. Netflix works great, though.

irv
September 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Again, thanks for the help. The Nook works great for Netfix, and the display is good, but I know I would like the Android 4.1 much better that the cut down version of Android that B&N uses on the Nook. I know that the Nexus 7 may have a downside but I am still leaning that way. At first I wasn't, remember I was the one who started this thread, "No Nexus 7 for me". I might be changing the title to "Yes, Nexus 7 for me".

While I am add it, can I ask about Google's storage. Are you using it to store file? Like Books, Videos, Music etc. Right now I use UbuntuOne on my Nook to store extra stuff I want to download to the Nook. I also have an extra 32gig SD card, which I know I can't use in the Nexus 7. How dose that work for you, not having the SD slot?

aysiu
September 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Again, thanks for the help. The Nook works great for Netfix, and the display is good, but I know I would like the Android 4.1 much better that the cut down version of Android that B&N uses on the Nook. I know that the Nexus 7 may have a downside but I am still leaning that way. At first I wasn't, remember I was the one who started this thread, "No Nexus 7 for me". I might be changing the title to "Yes, Nexus 7 for me".

While I am add it, can I ask about Google's storage. Are you using it to store file? Like Books, Videos, Music etc. Right now I use UbuntuOne on my Nook to store extra stuff I want to download to the Nook. I also have an extra 32gig SD card, which I know I can't use in the Nexus 7. How dose that work for you, not having the SD slot?
I was going to get the 8 GB Nexus 7, and my wife convinced me to get the 16 GB one. I'm glad I did! I don't think I'll need more than 16 GB, but I did already load it up with some pictures, music, and movies, and I think it'll fill up quite quickly.

It's obviously a media consumption device and not a storage device, so my plan is to have two iTunes playlists synced up, two or three movies, and a couple of photo albums. My phone actually has more storage (32 GB), so I put more movies on there, all my camera photos, and all my favorite songs (not just a couple of playlists).

aysiu
September 20th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah, Amazon streaming is not great on the Nexus 7. Flash on Android has always been a bit buggy for streaming.

TheMTtakeover
September 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I love my nexus 7. Hook up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I have 250 dollar device that can do 90% of what I need a computer to do. I have my desktop for the rest.

black veils
September 20th, 2012, 10:31 PM
haha you nearly filled 40gb! i have just under 2gb total, and about 1.3gb free! i am not a 'media' junkie though, i have some wallpapers, ring-tones, .txt files, and all the awesome apps i need/want.

Copper Bezel
September 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I don't find myself making a lot of use of the local storage, either - if it says anything, when I think "file manager," I open Dropbox. = ) I keep most of my music local, but that's not a big dent in 16 gigs.

I'm really amazed to find how many 7" tasks there really are for which 10" is too much. I use the desktop (really a netbook with an extra display) for most video, but if I want to share a YouTube video with someone IRL, my impulse is to pick up the Nexus.

CDR Services
September 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
For me the lack of a good rear camera is the deal breaker. I have a Acer a100 and I use the camera a lot, pics aren't as good as my good camera but they are way better than my phone!

irv
October 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I just saw this one today. Out of all the tablets I seen, this one makes sense. An Intel processor i3 or i5 with a 64 or 128 gig SSD, front and rear facing camera all with 1080p. 1920X1080 HD resolution. Bluetooth keyboard and a docking cradle. What more could you ask for? But there is one big problem, it comes with windows 8. For me this was the perfect hardware for Ubuntu OS.
If some company would buy a bunch of these and install Ubuntu OS on them they could sell a million of them for the right price.
http://www.zdnet.com/acer-iconia-w700-another-windows-8-tablet-for-799-7000005338/ (Out of all the tablets I seen, this one makes sense. And Intel processor i3 or i5 with a 64 or 129 gig SSD, front and rear facing camera all with 1080p. 1920X1080 HD resolution. Bluetooth keyboard and a docking cradle. What more could you ask for? But there is one big problem, it comes with windows 8. For me this was the perfect hardware for Ubuntu OS. If some company would buy a bunch of these and install Ubuntu OS on them they could sell a million of them for the right price. http://www.zdnet.com/acer-iconia-w700-another-windows-8-tablet-for-799-7000005338/)

slooksterpsv
October 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM

My music is on Google Music which allows up to 20,000 songs I believe. PDFs I either put on my Ubuntu One or just transfer them to my device itself. With all the games, music I've had put on there for offline use and that I'm only using about 8.6GB with 5.6GB free.

Space isn't really an issue cause I'm going to get a cheap computer and do an OwnCloud server and share files on that (if I really need the space, which I doubt I will). It just depends on what you do and what you really need the space for.

Example: When I have certain moods I usually listen to Songza, Slacker or Pandora - if I want music if I'm taking a walk I'll sync only what I know I'll listen to while walking e.g. Framing Hanley, DJ Tiesto, etc. and remove it if I don't need it.
I check and see what games I do and don't play and remove the ones I played for a bit but don't have attachment to or I know I won't continue playing.

All in all it's what you feel you need. I could have just got the 8GB edition and been fine - I manage my space really well. Dang it now I'm going to play Jetpack Joyride.

Nanur
October 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM
This is a Linux powered tablet. You might see a specifically Ubuntu one at some point in the future, although not likely from a big name.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Basically a Ubuntu powered tablet. I'd buy one.

KegHead
November 5th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hi!

My Nexus 7 is really cool.

I can't wait for 13.04 so i can have a real tablet!

KegHead

irv
November 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi!

My Nexus 7 is really cool.

I can't wait for 13.04 so i can have a real tablet!

KegHead

You can install 12.04 or above, but this is a developer preview image, not intended for general users.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

KegHead
November 7th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Irv!

Still a litle shy...I'll wait.

KegHead
November 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hi!

I've used this for about 2 months and works perfectly.

KegHead

irv
November 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Well, a couple things happen since I last posted here. First I got an Asus Transformer. Here are a couple of screen shots.
226915 226916

Next I took my Nook and setup a mini SD card with Android 4.1. Now I can boot off the SD card and run Android 4.1 and leave the Barn & Noble custom Android in tact. I did try to put Ubuntu on a mini SD and tried booting with it but it didn't work. My processor in the Nook didn't like the version of Ubuntu I was using. It keeps skipping the SD and going into the B&N OS. Now I wish I had the Nexus 7 because I could be running Ubuntu on it. Setting up your Nexus 7 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation)