PDA

View Full Version : When will Ubuntu look like this ???

Zaskoda
June 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Inspiring and not really all that technically challenging:

http://haha.nu/creative/the-future-of-desktop/

Arktis
June 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. It's a virtual pandering to unorganized clods.

Brunellus
June 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM
The desktop metaphor never really worked for me.

That's not to say I don't like desktops, but I react to the GUI more like a video game than any sort of representation of reality. I've come to like that abstraction--my computer does NOT look like my desk or my bookshelf. Creating a virtual world of magical objects would just be tiresome for me.

Christmas
June 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Nice idea, but that would cost lots of resources ATM.

rai4shu2
June 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
I like the pie menus, but otherwise it's just a ton of features you don't need.

tsb
June 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
it would be great for people who are computer illiterate

K.Mandla
June 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
I think MacSlow was working on something like that. I haven't kept tabs on the project, but it worked in much the same way.

http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=18

DR_K13
June 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
thats a lame gimmick

DoctorMO
June 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM
Having exploading folders, +tnt *kaboom* and your files are screwed up, blackened, folded up and scattered all over your hard drive.

give me 10 minets in perl ;-)

pulver
June 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
lmao.. bringing the mess of real life onto the computer desktop, and the repetetive stupid work back to the humans. this has to be the next version of ms windows right? anyway nice demoware eye-candy. 8-)

Virogenesis
June 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
I wonder if someone will be able to spill coffee with a desktop like this.

fuscia
June 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
here's one a lot of us will be using...

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7786/mess2gp.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mess2gp.jpg)

BrokenKingpin
June 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
That looks really cool, but not useful at all. I have tried a couple 3D desktops in Linux and Windows, and after 10 minutes you get bored of it and want your regular desktop back.

pulver
June 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM
here's one a lot of us will be using...

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7786/mess2gp.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mess2gp.jpg)

omg kde4!! now where did you find your copy? :p

fuscia
June 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
omg kde4!! now where did you find your copy? :p

that kde6.66. i'm ahead of my time.

nuvo
June 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Technologies like that are mostly used for show.
Microsoft didn't really take their projection table anywhere and I can't see people using gomonkey with looking glass within the next few years and I doubt this will be the next big thing either.
On saying that, I don't see why some of the functionality can't be implemented into Compiz or Looking Glass.
In fact, Looking Glass already has the ability to rotate windows as if they were 3D objects (it lets you flip them over or stand them on end) and Linux desktop environments such as Gnome already let you resize file icons inividually, so the whole "bigger to show it's more important" idea is already done, just without the physics.

I'm sure that somewhere down the line, someone will make a plugin for Compiz that maps the pixmap textures used to draw windows to 3D shapes, thus taking the fanciness off of such toys.

Also, wouldn't neatly stacking icons and windows pose a potential usability problem since you could forget which stack you put things in if you have a few...

asimon
June 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM
After looking the video it looks just like an other usability nightmare to me. They base everything on techniques people use to organize stuff in the physical world. I am not sure that this is the best way for computers, which should be able to give us completely new (better?) possibilities. But it looks cool, although that their objects (apart from images) look all the same and have for example no file names looks very unfunctional.

Anyway, I read that they already did some small usability tests and the results are much better that I would ever thought after watching the video. It would be very interesting to see more usability studies.

Regarding the original thread question: I doubt that Ubuntu will look anything like this in the next 4 years. ;-)

bruce89
June 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM
It looks as if the whole "desktop" idiom was taken a bit too literally, not to mention it's dated too. I wonder what GNOME 3 will be like (and KDE4 for that matter).

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Personally I think it looks like a potential project for a new WM. Could be useful provided you can integrate with traditional methods. In reality its more a desktop for the stupid people who learn via step 1 step 2 verbitum commands, the abstraction may be useful for them. Prehaps it could give you the ability to open a konqueror/nautilus window then abstract that folder onto a full page on another workspace, obviously you'd have to integrate the app menu into the context menu.

Full abstraction would just limit power in this case but theres no reason not to use a hybrid system especially given the rise of XGL/Aero etc. So a few potentially useful ideas but it will be useful in tandem with current methods rather than instead of them.

weasel fierce
June 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
Will it include an option, to, at random times, have a kitty bounce unto the desktop and destroy a random file ?

because otherwise, its not really comparable to my desktop experience.

curuxz
June 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
what a waste of time :(

Why do people spend so much RnD on this kinda crap?

graabein
June 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM

I guess it's comparable to the amount of bad litterature, music and art to see the day of light for every single masterpiece. It's a bad ratio. As with research and development. Most of it ends with a research paper or a prototype though, thankfully.

I thought the video was kind of fun though. There might be some useful ideas in there somewhere.

Jucato
June 22nd, 2006, 03:03 AM
After looking the video it looks just like an other usability nightmare to me. They base everything on techniques people use to organize stuff in the physical world. I am not sure that this is the best way for computers, which should be able to give us completely new (better?) possibilities.

It looks as if the whole "desktop" idiom was taken a bit too literally, not to mention it's dated too.

Isn't that were spatial file management is already heading? This is just basically the same fundamental theory, only applied on a much wider scale.

It looks cool, though, and I like it. But not for what it currently does, as, like what asimon said, having no visible filenames makes it very unusable, for now. I like it because of the possibilities that it brings, especially the possibility of not being confined anymore to a flat, 2D desktop mentality. True, Sun's Looking Glass 3D could probably do the same, but right now, it's still in the works, so it's too early to say something final.

What may be a waste of time or crap for one, does not necessarily make it a waste of time or crap for another. No RnD is totally ever wasted. At best, it can open up new venues or possibilities. At worst, it can teach us how not to do things.

I was never a fan of the desktop metaphor anyway. I've always found it too limiting. It may have served its purpose once, but it may have outlived its time. I also think it's quite insulting to the human intellect to say that one cannot learn new things, new concepts, or new methods.

gord
June 22nd, 2006, 03:19 AM
it takes me a good few mins to find the cd i want in my 'pile' of cd's, it takes me a few seconds to find the file i want in a directory of thousands of files by typing a command as simple as 'dir *<part of the filename i know>*'

Jucato
June 22nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
it takes me a good few mins to find the cd i want in my 'pile' of cd's, it takes me a few seconds to find the file i want in a directory of thousands of files by typing a command as simple as 'dir *<part of the filename i know>*'

I bet it will only take you a few seconds if you could type "dir *" in the air and would do the same thing in real life as it would on the computer. Besides, that's a CLI command, not a GUI. Try looking for that file in a GUI, in a folder containing 20 or more files. It won't take you a few minutes, but it won't take just a few seconds either.

Take note that this is still a prototype. There might be a lot more to be added. Let's not judge a baby just because it can't talk sensibly just yet.

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 03:59 AM
...except that the command in bash is

ls | grep something

if you're looking for something.

Stormy Eyes
June 22nd, 2006, 04:41 AM
My cat wasn't impressed, and neither am I.

rai4shu2
June 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Actually, looking at their pie menus, I was reminded of that Sims 2 game. It really is a much nicer way to do context menus.

RAV TUX
June 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM

I hope never! They shoot horses don't they?

gReEnT3a
June 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hmm....Looks nice

but most of the time I'll keep my desktop as clean as possible, even better if I can keep it empty, so basically this seems no use to me...

by the way...I tend to have difficult time in keeping my desktop in reality tidy...........I won't want to put myself into that situation when I am using a computer :p

prizrak
June 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
This (http://www.maxxx-videos.de/videos_e_432_0.html) is the future of desktops not what you posted. I actually find the current set up much better as far as workspaces go.

Jucato
June 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Very nice, but still a very distant possibility, compared to that other one. For one, you'd need to have touch screens for that. And secondly, you need to rewrite certain programs to simultaneous inputs from two separate points. The BumpTop project, on the other hand, works with pen input, and could probably be adapted to mice as well.

Besides, these two are focusing on different aspects/goals. the video you linked to mainly just focused on the interface, while the creators of BumpTop are attempting to "Enrich the Desktop Metaphor with Physics, Piles, and the Pen".

But I really like that video. I wonder if and when that technology will exist, or even be affordable :D

Johnsie
June 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
you'd have to learn all the tricks. Current desktops are simple and basic and should stay that way.

asimon
June 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Current desktops are simple and basic and should stay that way.
No, current desktops suck very often (just look at all the support postings here in this forum) and must be improved. And just claims don't help at all. Someone says current desktops suck and new more physical approaches are more easier to learn and more efficient to use. And now? Such claims are pretty worthless, therefore we need usability studies and more people like Anand Agarawala and Ravin Balakrishnan who try to improve what we have, who come up with new ideas, who think about usabilty, who do tests, and studies.

Jucato
June 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
I really like their prototype, although it still needs a lot of polishing. But the basic technologies involved are really interesting. People might be saying that this type of desktop would require high system specs, but I think they forgot that the prototype was being used on a Tablet PC. And any desktop PC can outperform a Tablet PC when it comes to resources and graphics capabilities.

However, I don't think that the "pile" system would really be helpful in the long run. I'm planning to read Anand's thesis, though, and see how he presents his ideas.

For the naysayers, just remove the "desktop" metaphor and think of the possibilities that this technology/project can do. I have to admit I'm impressed that they were able to pull of something like that, considering they're private individuals working on a private project (unlike Sun's Looking Glass 3D).

Arktis
June 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
This (http://www.maxxx-videos.de/videos_e_432_0.html) is the future of desktops not what you posted. I actually find the current set up much better as far as workspaces go.
Damn straight! I was really unimpressed until it got to the bit with the onscreen keyboard and image sorting/manipulation. Very nice. I don't think it's so distant at all.

Too bad the guy(s) who put the vid together chose such lame music and had a bunch of boring/useless stuff mixed in with the good crap.

And you could probably set the same thing up as a prototype/demo for regular computers if you could set up something like dual mice.

But as for now, DE's are totally fine the way they are. I can really only see something like this being taught to and used by the next generation of kids. It just seems like it would be way more intuitive to children.

ajifans
June 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
It makes the assumption that we want our GUI desktops like are real desktops. My desktop is an unorganised mess.

I want my real desktop to be more like my GUI Desktop! Everything in folders with sensible descriptive names, which can be reached with a double-click.

OffHand
June 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I hope never. Doesn't seem very usefull to me and very chaotic.

G Morgan
June 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
I bet it will only take you a few seconds if you could type "dir *" in the air and would do the same thing in real life as it would on the computer. Besides, that's a CLI command, not a GUI. Try looking for that file in a GUI, in a folder containing 20 or more files. It won't take you a few minutes, but it won't take just a few seconds either.

Take note that this is still a prototype. There might be a lot more to be added. Let's not judge a baby just because it can't talk sensibly just yet.

In a GUI you just enter the first letter of the file in question (you should only ever be looking for files you know about after all) and it does a great deal of the work for you.

Nautilus even allows you to enter a string. True this still involves a keyboard but I'd hardly call it CLI.

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
What happens if you have loads of files and programs, it would get messy very easily.

prizrak
June 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
No, current desktops suck very often (just look at all the support postings here in this forum) and must be improved. And just claims don't help at all. Someone says current desktops suck and new more physical approaches are more easier to learn and more efficient to use. And now? Such claims are pretty worthless, therefore we need usability studies and more people like Anand Agarawala and Ravin Balakrishnan who try to improve what we have, who come up with new ideas, who think about usabilty, who do tests, and studies.
See this is the issue at hand. There are those of us who would prefer the regular way as we don't have a single problem with it. For instance my files are extremely analy organized and easily accessible, I'm one of the few people who almost never has to use the file search. Other less organized/more visual people might prefer the pile instead.

Iandefor
June 22nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
It looks pretty damn cool, but in terms of UI, I don't think I could use that. That's taking a metaphor too far.

Mr Wrath
June 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
This (http://www.maxxx-videos.de/videos_e_432_0.html) is the future of desktops not what you posted.

That vid was awesome...there are a few program companies that I am trying to get to work with screens of that nature.

Mr Wrath
June 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
edit: trying to get the companies to design their program to be used by a screen of that nature.

Sirin
June 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Forget the desktop. It's that 4-finger $$$ ring on his hand that I want. :cool:

graigsmith
June 24th, 2006, 12:33 AM
When will Ubuntu look like this ???

hopefully never.

first we had text only file browsers. they worked. but were bad for images.

next we had text with icons, and picture representations. works well for documents and images. This is what ubuntu does.

now people are wanting to do only picture only 3d objects. why? what is the benefit of throwing all the text away, and making files crumple, and hide under eachother? Am i going to be expected to zoom in to every file and look at it to identify it? Thats absurd.

but it does look cool. but just because it look cool, and is more realistic - does not make it easier to use.

fuscia
June 24th, 2006, 01:37 AM
now people are wanting to do only picture only 3d objects. why? what is the benefit of throwing all the text away, and making files crumple, and hide under eachother? Am i going to be expected to zoom in to every file and look at it to identify it? Thats absurd.

this gives me an idea - a text browser video game! instead of just checking 'show hidden files', you have to kill off a certain number of leftover thumbnails to make the hidden files appear. there would be the typical dilemna of choosing between the easier, yet time consuming task of killing off individual files vs. the quicker, yet riskier deletion of folders. try a bonus game of 'where tf is that document?', etc.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Can you post another link, because that website is down? That'd be great, because I'd love to see what the future of the desktop is. :)

Jucato
June 30th, 2006, 01:37 AM
The original page: http://honeybrown.ca/Pubs/BumpTop.html
The one Zaskoda gave just links to this

fluffington
June 30th, 2006, 02:44 AM

If Ubuntu ever looks like that, I'll stop using it.