PDA

View Full Version : Favourate Desktop Environments?

naf456
June 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM
yEllo , Nathan Here.

I was just looking for some opinions on what you think the better Desktop Environment (DE) is?

If your new to linux - the desktop environment is basically any button , widget or text block you can see on your screen. usually without a DE, linux is expose via a terminal or text based shell.
desktop environments define how windows communicate with each other and with external hardware (Mouse and keyboard).

Most of us has heard of :

Unity (Ubuntu 10.10>)
Gnome 2 (Ubuntu 9.10<)
Gnome 3
XFCE
KDE
LXCE
etc...

I'm just curious to find out which one people likes the best...
I'm currently building a LFS distro and was actually looking at building my own DE, as I have experience with C and C++, but, again - I'm just curious to see what people like out of a DE...

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

FWIW I like gnome 3 with unity because of the speed I can get things done with it.

I also love LXDE on less powerful machines.

na5h
June 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Recurring Discussion indeed! :)

I'm going to take a slightly different approach to this question and answer that I haven't yet found a desktop environment that I would consider to be really terrible...

I suppose KDE isn't really my cup of tea (even though I still think that it looks very nice)!

zombifier25
June 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Unity.

I also serve myself LXDE on my less powerful computer.

blackbird34
June 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Unity (3D with Compiz effects) vs XFCE for me :D

oldos2er
June 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM
KDE's been my favorite for awhile.

jnguyen
June 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Unity now since I have to switched from KDE because my VMWare Workstation not happy with KDE.

BigSilly
June 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Recently rediscovered KDE (Kubuntu 12.04), and absolutely loving it. But my problem is I love all the DE's. They all have pros and cons, and I'm very happy to use any of them.

Which is what makes it so hard to stick to any distro for any length of time!

I only hope KDE stays good for me and gives me no choice but to stick with it.

Simian Man
June 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM
KDE far and away.

Mikeb85
June 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Unity, KDE are my two favourites. Gnome Shell is 3rd. The others (XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, etc..., are far down the list).

BigSilly
June 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM
KDE far and away.

I'll tell you what, when it's good there's no other desktop better than it, not in Linux, Mac or Windows. It's by far and away the very best Linux has to offer imho. The only question mark I have with it is stability. But the only way I'm going to find out is if I keep it around for some time. But so far, KDE4 is really rocking it for me. Long may it stay that way. :)

Max Blyss
June 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
XFCE is my favorite... It has never malfunctioned, glitched, or gone weird on me, and it can be gotten up to look really nice with a wee bit of effort.
2nd Place - KDE
3rd Place - Gnome Shell
4th Place - Cinnamon
Honorable Mention - Openbox + Tint 2 (The Crunchbang Setup)
Unity isn't my cup of tea, and MATE acted up something fierce when I last tried it, but nearly any Linux DE sure seems to blow away WinXP & Aero, IMO.

click4851
June 27th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cinnamon

craig10x
June 27th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 in cairo dock session with the unity panel on top (global menu)...
I like unity but THIS IS PERFECTION! ;)

Highly recommend it also for unity haters...

naf456
June 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Whoops... My bad with the subject thing - I thought it was fairly casual topic, so I stuck it in the community cafe...

Yeah - seems like pretty much everybody likes different DE's - but how about comparing Linux Desktop Environments with Windows and Mac?

I mean , Unity is pretty cool and I'll say just tops KDE in design , but I really dislike using it - something just weird about a app switcher on the side that i just don't like - it's kinda a mix of the Windows taskbar and the Mac app switcher.

KDE went for a Windows feel
Gnome went for a Mac Feel
And the rest really go for old School 1980's computing - like from the NeXT step operating system...

When comparing any stock linux distro - it doesn't compare to anything of the likes of Windows 7 or Mac 10.8 - kinda more of a Windows XP and Mac 10.3 - which I think is disappointing...

In my eye's linux looks like an OS from the past - not an OS setting standards of the future - what is should - and kinda is doing....

Call me shallow , but one thing I can't resist is the gorges Mac metallic like windows and the candy like buttons - and the borderless window design

Also the gorges Windows 7 task bar - with that reflective pattern overlaid on the apps tasks and task bar it's self - the cool distinct Widgets and the gorges windows orb that lights up when rolling your mouse over it - the transparent design of IE and Chrome and many other apps - the self switching backgrounds....
the easy to understand filesystem...

But - hey i'm just getting on abit here.

There are plenty of things I like about all three - Windows, Mac and Ubuntu.
Ubuntu just doesn't stand out for me personally - It's always going to be known for "That OS that Poorly copies Windows and Mac" - I really want it to be the other way around :D ("Linux - The Peoples OS, that Mac and Windows fail to beat!")

And this is why I'm looking at creating a DE - hopefully well design - not revolutionary...
My motto for practically everything is - Keep it simple.

Like Bill Gates once said : "It's doesn't have to be revolutionary - just better then the rest..."

Ubun2to
June 29th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I fell in love with Unity.
I have tried TONS of other DEs, but not even KDE could snag my heart completely.
It was a fierce battle. They both had their ups and downs. KDE with the widgets and elegant interface. Unity with the quicklists and the Dash. In the end, the lag of KDE and the fact that it didn't use the Desktop folder was what made it lose. Also, I find Unity much better than KDE for working with multiple monitors.
Cairo-Dock was also good, but the fact that it always redirected my mouse capture away from my open windows and the fact that the dock refused to reside on both monitors was what made it lose my approval.

lrcaballero
June 29th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I am enjoying Unity very much! Although if it is not unity I would rather go for a WM such as Openbox (w/ Tint2 & Conky) very minimalistic and super fast.

):P