PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New gnome-shell is broken (3.5.3)

Harry33
June 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
The newest gnome-shell 3.5.3 in official repos is broken.
It starts without panels and without functions.
You need to use the 3.4.1 version.

dino99
June 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
i'm still curious to know about % users using it ;)

jbicha
June 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
This will be fixed with the next gnome-shell upload later today; thanks to Rico for the fix. I didn't experience it on my computer because I had a broken GDM 3.4 installed. Since you don't have GDM 3.4 installed, gnome-shell crashes.

By the way, this was in quantal-proposed. If you want quantal to work reliably, you probably don't want to use -proposed.

lonniehenry
June 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm in the gnome-shell users group. I usually keep a gnome-shell and a unity testing partition going, but I find gs fits my workflow better. Waiting for the update.

Harry33
June 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM
This will be fixed with the next gnome-shell upload later today; thanks to Rico for the fix. I didn't experience it on my computer because I had a broken GDM 3.4 installed. Since you don't have GDM 3.4 installed, gnome-shell crashes.

By the way, this was in quantal-proposed. If you want quantal to work reliably, you probably don't want to use -proposed.

Thanks in advance.
Well Quantal is in an early dev phase anyway, so breakages are expected.

kaldor
June 26th, 2012, 07:58 PM

*raises hand* :KS

ronacc
June 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I am a gnome-shell user exclusively .

jfernyhough
June 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I tend to use Rico's PPA for GNOME stuff. gnome-shell is working fine for me :D

I just wish there was a way (I knew of) of putting the system tray in the top bar...

VinDSL
June 27th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Seems like everything is working, for me, except "gnome-tweak-tool".

I'd like to get that back... ;)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-26-jun-2012-1(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-26-jun-2012-1.png)

Harry33
June 27th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Seems like everything is working, for me, except "gnome-tweak-tool".

I'd like to get that back... ;)

Tweak-tool not working here either.
Also I noticed I am not able to choose to show seconds in the panel clock.
Then again, we do not need to press "alt" anymore to reboot or shut down.

Perhaps related, nautilus does not show icons any more (pics, pdf).

pressureman
June 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM
VinDSL, you sure do love to show off your desktop... ever thought about taking pictures of your computer to attach to each reply also? ;-)

gnome-tweak-tool is working fine for me here, after I... tweaked it.

Here's a unidiff showing which line you'll need to comment to avoid a Python KeyError exception. I hope you guys can deal with this old fashioned, monochrome, 8-bit ASCII stuff.

--- /usr/share/pyshared/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_nautilus.py.bak 2012-06-27 07:25:01.094351723 +0200
+++ /usr/share/pyshared/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_nautilus.py 2012-06-27 07:25:04.386368087 +0200
@@ -45,7 +45,7 @@

TWEAKS = (
DesktopIconTweak(group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),
- GSettingsSwitchTweak("org.gnome.nautilus.desktop", "computer-icon-visible", schema_filename="org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml",group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),
+ #GSettingsSwitchTweak("org.gnome.nautilus.desktop", "computer-icon-visible", schema_filename="org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml",group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),
GSettingsSwitchTweak("org.gnome.nautilus.desktop", "home-icon-visible", schema_filename="org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml",group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),
GSettingsSwitchTweak("org.gnome.nautilus.desktop", "network-icon-visible", schema_filename="org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml",group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),
GSettingsSwitchTweak("org.gnome.nautilus.desktop", "trash-icon-visible", schema_filename="org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml",group_name=TWEAK_GROUP_DESKTOP),

VinDSL
June 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
VinDSL, you sure do love to show off your desktop... ever thought about taking pictures of your computer to attach to each reply also? ;-)
I've been known to do that too, on hardware sites (like AnandTech). LoL!

EXAMPLE: Cooler Master CoolViva Z1 VGA Heatsink | XFX GeForce 7600 GT AGP (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2235595)

I was merely offering the screenie up as "evidence" that gnome-shell 3.5.3 was working fine for me, sans gnome-tweak-tool.

Talk is cheap, you know? Ppl can claim anything they want.

"DNA doesn't lie". Heh! :D

Harry33
June 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nautilus icons are not OK, after some gnome-desktop upgrades.
So marking this as solved.

BTW I use now Gnome Shell Testing PPA gnome-tweak-tool and that one works.

VinDSL
June 28th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I use now Gnome Shell Testing PPA gnome-tweak-tool and that one works.
That one now works for me.

Thanks!!! :)

jfernyhough
June 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone else noticed that they're starting to implement global menus? I'm hoping there will be an extension that allows the menu to be shown along the top bar rather than hidden behind a click the window title on the top bar...