PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Auto renumbering of graphics files

Barney-R
June 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hello. I'm sure this must be covered somewhere, but on a forum of this size I could be searching all year, so I hope nobody will object if I start a new thread.

Like most people, I've got several thousand photographs and other images on my hard drives. Different cameras have their own naming and numbering systems. Images downloaded from the internet or received as e-mail attachments have their own identifiers. The result is chaos, except in the case of those rare people who organise everything as they go.

What I'd like is to put all these disorganised files into a single folder tree, using sub-folders to avoid overwriting duplicate filenames, and at the press (click) of a button, have them organised into a single folder where they will be consecutively numbered.

I'm thinking of file re-naming/numbering along the lines of "My Photos 0001" to "My Photos 01000" and so on, a bit like the image wizard (whatever it's actually called) in Windows.

Does anyone know of any software that will do this in Ubuntu?

In case it's relevant, I'm still using 10.10 Maverick.

One final point. Having already categorised a few thousand of my graphics files, I want to be able to specify the source folder (tree) as well as the destination, rather than have it search the entire computer.

Barney-R
June 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Problem solved!

I was able to do what I wanted using KRename.