PDA

View Full Version : If Ubuntu were abandoned by Mark Shuttleworth...

yeehi
June 26th, 2012, 06:27 AM
What would happen if Mark Shuttleworth, the the very wealthy owner of Canonical, stopped investing so much of his own money into Ubuntu?

Would Ubuntu development be able to continue? Does Ubuntu have enough momentum now to continue without him and all his money? I am interested to know whether Ubuntu's existence is precarious and dependent on the favour of one person.

nothingspecial
June 26th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

vasa1
June 26th, 2012, 06:51 AM
IIRC, there was a very similar thread to this in the last month or so.

click4851
June 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
hmmmm, waiting to give my opinion on this......

Paqman
June 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
If Canonical went bust tomorrow development would be guided and funded by the Ubuntu Foundation (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/UbuntuFoundation), which does have enough money put away to fund some devs.

So development would continue, but at a somewhat reduced level.

QIII
June 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM
... and many of us would probably start making voluntary direct development contributions. Many Linux distributions operate that way.

thatguruguy
June 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
hmmmm, waiting to give my opinion on this......

As it happens, I'm fairly certain most people already know your opinion.

I don't use Linux Mint, and therefore never post in their forums. I don't use Windows, and therefore never post in Windows forums. I don't use OSX... you get the picture.

You've made it clear that you clearly don't like Ubuntu as an OS, Canonical as a company, and Mark Shuttleworth as a person. Why participate in the Ubuntu forums?

cariboo
June 27th, 2012, 12:32 AM
If you've ever heard Mark talk about software, you'd realize, that about the only thing that would make him walk away from Ubuntu, is his own death

Canonical has grown to over 500 employees over the last few years, so if it isn't making a profit, it has at least reached a point where it can sustain itself.

Whether there is someone that can step in and continue Mark's vision of what Ubuntu should be, is another question.

zombifier25
June 27th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Never gonna happen. Ubuntu is stepping up the game with Ubuntu for Android, and more products.
Also,

If you've ever heard Mark talk about software, you'd realize, that about the only thing that would make him walk away from Ubuntu, is his own death

weasel fierce
June 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM
well, nothing last forever, but there's other sources development could come from, if need came.

THe benefit of open source is that the end of Canonical would not be the end of Ubuntu.

click4851
July 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
As it happens, I'm fairly certain most people already know your opinion.

I don't use Linux Mint, and therefore never post in their forums. I don't use Windows, and therefore never post in Windows forums. I don't use OSX... you get the picture.

You've made it clear that you clearly don't like Ubuntu as an OS, Canonical as a company, and Mark Shuttleworth as a person. Why participate in the Ubuntu forums?

I find it challenging!