PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Drivers? Acer

Jackalyn
June 25th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Are there any drivers that will work with the Crystal Eye webcam or Dolby theatre on Acer? - all the ones I have found are related to windows not linux. I did add the NVIDA ones but have no idea if they are connected. Cannot even find the webcam or the theatre at all - but 'Cheese' does give me access to a webcam. Is that all I need? I think I may have sound but have not yet been able to get onto the internet to test a facebook or skype connection. (Connection to the internet with a 3 pay as you go dongle is my 'other' problem)

Sorry if this is not the right technical thing to ask but not really very technical minded and hope someone gets what I want. (Acer 6930g with no Windows partition)

Acer 6930g

Kreaninw
June 25th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm using Acer. The quality of the cam I found in Cheese and Crystal Eye Webcam app are no difference. They both have similar settings. I have not yet test my web cam on Facebook or Skype. But as long as Cheese works just fine, it means no driver problem here.

For the sound, the quality when enabled Dolby enhancement on Windows compared to the sound on Ubuntu through Rythmbox was vastly difference, in my opinion Rythmbox dumb chuck. However, Audacious is there for you, a hardcore listener. Audacious has many equalizers and DSP to choose from, downside is that no cover view or any library relate features, just a half-baked library plug-in available though. Another music player I found it has a good out put is BeatBox. This one comes with stylish interface, but in the time I tested it, it has a bug that doesn't show album cover in sound icon.

I recommend you install a working Windows too. Currently, I can't find a way to enable my touchpad back in Ubuntu if I disabled it on Windows. I have tried to fix it for days to found out the easiest(and may be costly) fix ever. I'm using Aspire 4745G.

Jackalyn
June 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm using Acer. The quality of the cam I found in Cheese and Crystal Eye Webcam app are no difference. They both have similar settings. I have not yet test my web cam on Facebook or Skype. But as long as Cheese works just fine, it means no driver problem here.

Facebook apparently does not support Ubuntu as yet.

For the sound, the quality when enabled Dolby enhancement on Windows compared to the sound on Ubuntu through Rythmbox was vastly difference, in my opinion Rythmbox dumb chuck. However, Audacious is there for you, a hardcore listener. Audacious has many equalizers and DSP to choose from, downside is that no cover view or any library relate features, just a half-baked library plug-in available though. Another music player I found it has a good out put is BeatBox. This one comes with stylish interface, but in the time I tested it, it has a bug that doesn't show album cover in sound icon.

Did you mean Audacity?

I recommend you install a working Windows too. Currently, I can't find a way to enable my touchpad back in Ubuntu if I disabled it on Windows. I have tried to fix it for days to found out the easiest(and may be costly) fix ever. I'm using Aspire 4745G.

The whole point was a windows crash and not being able to afford to pay Acer 50 for discs that may or may not have worked given they did not know my machine or problem. My touchpad is fine.....

Thank you for your time and kind reply :popcorn:

gordintoronto
June 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Audacious is an audio player, which looks a lot like Winamp from a few years back. I like it for playing an album.

Does Facebook have video chat? Skype is a little tricky with some webcams.

Kreaninw
June 28th, 2012, 04:23 AM
@Jackalyn (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1683650) It's Audacious.

http://audacious-media-player.org/