PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu has jumped the shark

Kimmik
June 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
After several years of ubuntu abstinence I decided to give it another try on a second computer. I hoped Ubuntu would have improved. Boy, was I wrong.

The new interface is HORRIBLE, who thought this crap is a good idea? Its even worse than OSX with its unessarily dumbed down interface which makes everything twice as complicated. What a load of ****, seriously.

I'm not hating, this is my honest unbiased opinion, I used to be a huge fan of ubuntu (I released numerous popular themes on gnome-look.org with over a quarter million downloads).

Really, I see no reason to use ubuntu again. It does nothing better that windows and the interface is the worst I've ever seen.

sgage
June 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
After several years of ubuntu abstinence I decided to give it another try on a second computer. I hoped Ubuntu would have improved. Boy, was I wrong.

The new interface is HORRIBLE, who thought this crap is a good idea? Its even worse than OSX with its unessarily dumbed down interface which makes everything twice as complicated. What a load of ****, seriously.

I'm not hating, this is my honest unbiased opinion, I used to be a huge fan of ubuntu (I released numerous popular themes on gnome-look.org with over a quarter million downloads).

Really, I see no reason to use ubuntu again. It does nothing better that windows and the interface is the worst I've ever seen.

Great! Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out! ):P

Really, was that necessary? For one thing, you don't need to use Unity. I like Gnome Shell, but there is Gnome Classic, and ppa's for Mate or Cinnamon (neither of which I care for, personally). There are other options as well - XFCE, LXDE, KDE, etc.

Not hating, eh? Your post was a pile of hate.

IMO, nothing tops Ubuntu's repos, and general fit and finish. As far as comparison with Windows is concerned, I can't think of anything Windows does better than Ubuntu at this point.

OK, enough feeding the trolls :KS:KS:KS

Kimmik
June 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Great! Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out! ):P

I'm long gone.

Really, was that necessary? For one thing, you don't need to use Unity. I like Gnome Shell, but there is Gnome Classic, and ppa's for Mate or Cinnamon (neither of which I care for, personally). There are other options as well - XFCE, LXDE, KDE, etc.

Doesn't matter if the first thing I encounter is this crap. I don't have time anymore to tinker around.

Not hating, eh? Your post was a pile of hate.

IMO, nothing tops Ubuntu's repos, and general fit and finish. As far as comparison with Windows is concerned, I can't think of anything Windows does better than Ubuntu at this point.

The windows 7 default interface is much better than Unity. Hardware support is another thing, and of course programms like adobe creative suit and games. Nvidia 3D vision and so on...

The logical choice is windows.

ddarsow
June 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think this dude lives under a bridge crossed by billy goats...

Simian Man
June 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Linux is a niche OS, and it doesn't sound like you're in that niche. Have fun with Windows, it's a great system too.

MadmanRB
June 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Give another distro a shot, I am running netrunner and its fantastic.

sammiev
June 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I love gnome3 as I find I can move around every where with very little clicks from the mouse. Fast and simple but use what works for you. GL :)

codingman
June 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Another unity hater...

Boy, I thought they were long gone after the possibility to install gnome shell and gnome-fallback, but no, people who haven't looked at a single online resource are complaining again.

Install gnome shell or gnome-fallback, and look at my sig. Try Fedora if you want too, another great distro that DOESN'T have any whiners about what UI it has because they KNOW there is a way to replace it.

Version Dependency
June 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM

True. Windows has a ton of stuff that Linux can only dream about... viruses, malware, botnets, defragging, mysterious slowdowns, random crashes, etc. I mean, who wouldn't want to run Windows?

Linuxratty
June 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
The new interface is HORRIBLE, who thought this crap is a good idea?

Not touching this with a ten foot pole.
Using classic with the ltr...It's smokin' hot. LOVE the desktop slide show
.:popcorn:

codingman
June 24th, 2012, 11:57 PM
True. Windows has a ton of stuff that Linux can only dream about... viruses, malware, botnets, defragging, mysterious slowdowns, random crashes, etc. I mean, who wouldn't want to run Windows?

You made my day!

overdrank
June 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Nothing to see here, move along.