PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pvaucontrol, alsamixer, and gnome-alsamixer

cscj01
June 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM
My current configuration is Ubuntu 12.04 and Audacity 2.0.1 with a Creative Labs sound card, an Audigy SE.

I am digitizing my LP collection (have been for several years now) using Audacity, and I find that pavucontrol is not adequate to control line-in volume to prevent overloading. So I have to use either alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer. This problem did not start until 12.04.

gnome-almixer has no markings to indicate volume amount, plus it seems upside down (i.e., if the slider is all the way down, the line seems to indicate full volume. On the other hand, alsamixer seems to not be in synch with what the volume actualy is. That is, if I have the volume for Line-in at 81%, it overloads my Audacity waveform. The Audacity wave form shows many flat tops and bottoms, although there is no clipping and the meters are well below the maximum.

So is there one application I can use to set my volume levels so that I don't have to use 3 different ones? Or, is there a way I can set one of the above mixer apps so that the other is controlling what is actually happening?

cscj01
June 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
bump

Note: gnome-almixer should be gnome-alsamixer.