PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Bible verse

garyzw
June 24th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I am wondering if there is any desktop Bible program that will display random verses that work on Ubuntu 12.04?

stlsaint
June 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
There is an application called verse! Will be included in UCE.

garyzw
June 24th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Is it possible to add verse to my current Ubuntu if so where do I get it?

There is an application called verse! Will be included in UCE.

stlsaint
June 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Is it possible to add verse to my current Ubuntu if so where do I get it?

Just install it via ubuntu software center or in terminal enter command:

sudo apt-get install verse

scottr99
September 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Hi I wrote a program in Python to show Bible verses from the KJV 1611 Authorized and at any reading speed, background color, and font color. By reading speed I mean you add to the command line your reading speed in WPM and it will show the verses accordingly. I can also set this up easily to make the verses available for desktop via conky. Problem with the conky approach though is wordwrap (none). So not good for long verses. If anyone's interested I can send it along. Only needs 'sudo apt-get install python-tk'. Here's a sceenshot:

garyzw
September 13th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have a problem getting conky installed-- I have tried following the directions but it does not work,

scottr99
September 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I have a problem getting conky installed-- I have tried following the directions but it does not work,

Well this program runs w/o the need of conky. It's a standalone Python script.

garyzw
September 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Sounds good how do I set it up?

sudo apt-get install python-tk

Is what it takes? Then how do I start the program?

scottr99
September 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM
In a terminal, do the sudo apt-get install python-tk to get Python and Tk installed, so my program will be able to run. Also provide me with your email address and I'll email you the program tonight when I get home from work.

stlsaint
September 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys but lets keep our threads on topic and if you would like to discuss your custom programs on these forums lets make it transparent and start a new thread and make available to all. If it is a program that the community really enjoys we can discuss getting it into the UCE repos!! :guitar:

Thread Closed-High jacking