PDA

View Full Version : quickly GUI

Garyu
June 21st, 2012, 07:26 PM
I use Qt Designer to make my application GUI's. Then I use WingIDE to put the Python code in there. Normally, I never touch the command line when I'm programming (although I'm not exactly a stranger to the Terminal in other contexts).

So I was looking at the recently announced developer competition where you can win a laptop by putting a Unity app out there within 3 weeks. I don't plan on participating in the contest, but I figured I could pick up some tips. They mentioned using the software "quickly" to package and distribute software.

Quickly seems really nice, from what I have seen. I would use it to set up the project, then I would do my normal workflow in Qt Designer and WingIDE, and then I would use quickly to publish along with bazaar and launchpad.net. Those tutorials were actually a good start I think. But I find their Terminal obsession really annoying.

I find it bothersome to learn all the quickly commands and syntax by memory. I would REALLY appreciate a GUI that I could use instead of writing terminal commands. It shouldn't be very difficult to implement, but no one has done it. Then I searched around, and found someone thought just like me and posted a question in "Ask Ubuntu" if someone wouldn't want to develop a GUI for quickly, and the question got locked by an admin. Before it was locked, someone posted a really bad mannered (IMO) comment stating that people should just deal with it and if you can't be bothered to use the terminal then surely you must suck as a programmer.

Seems to me like something is going on behind the scenes there. Why would the community work AGAINST a tool that would raise creativity and make contributing easier? If someone has some insight, I would love to hear a good reason as to why quickly doesn't have a GUI? And why are some people so against it?

gordintoronto
June 22nd, 2012, 12:50 AM
I have no idea about your specific question.

The huge advantage of the command line is that I can tell you a command, and you can copy/paste it into Terminal, and you will get it right. If I tell you, run this program, click here, select that tab, type something into the box labelled "good info," click on OK, you will probably get lost along the way. Especially since the label is "continue," not "OK."

Garyu
June 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
The huge advantage of the command line ...

I agree to that one. BUT, since when does a GUI _replace_ the command line in linux apps? Usually, you either get only command line or you get both. So this is not really an argument: having a GUI doesn't stop anyone from copy-pasting commands if that is the way they want to go. However, having a GUI will make more people adapt the quickly development cycle a lot faster.

I just don't understand why a GUI would be frowned upon. Nor do I understand why no one has made one yet (personally, I even make a GUI for simple parsing scripts, just because making a GUI is so simple and it makes me able to spread the script to so many more people, but I know nothing of quickly...yet).

Derek Karpinski
June 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Well, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea for the app development contest. ;)

Garyu
June 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Well, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea for the app development contest. ;)

Actually, I checked it out and there is a guy in the app dev contest who is working on a GUI. Then someone said in the comments that they are also working on a GUI but outside of the contest. So maybe things will shape up...

On the other hand, it seems quickly is bound to use GTK, and I'm using Qt, so seems like I'm going to have to skip using quickly in either case. :(