PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] touchpad detected as mouse?

cmullican
June 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I've been trying different window managers on my Eee Seashell, and xubuntu is making me happiest, except for a few details. The worst is that it seems to detect my touchpad as a mouse, so it's not respecting the "disable touchpad while typing" setting. My Settings Manager only has a "Mouse" entry, not "Mouse and Touchpad", and the listing there for the touchpad has a mouse icon.

I've googled every relevant keyword combo I can think of, and tried several solutions, to no avail. The only touchpad settings I can find with dconf show it already disabled, but that's not what my experience has been -- I'm typing, and the cursor jumps up elsewhere, scrambling my output.

cortman
June 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Try running

synclient TouchPadOff=1

in a terminal, and see if that turns it off.

cmullican
June 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM
That did turn it off, but I don't want to completely disable it -- I just want it disabled while I'm typing.

cortman
June 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
That did turn it off, but I don't want to completely disable it -- I just want it disabled while I'm typing.

Ok, if it didn't work in gpointing-devices-settings, try using Touchpad-Indicator- instructions for installation here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#Disabling_Touchpad_while_Typing) .