PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Nettops or others

luismgl
June 18th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Good day to all

Lately I have really been needing a linux machine and I've not been entirely happy with the performance due to hardware compatibility (got recent issues with h2o bios, and intel's hd graphics)
so I was looking at something cheap, small fast but quiet to plug in to my screen.

I was looking at ubuntu's list of certified hardware and there were some pretty interesting stuff, but I would also like an upgrade in performance, so I wonder how would an 1.66Ghz intel atom coupe against a 2.1Ghz core2duo, we are also talking about half of the RAM. So for something rounding 250 bucks (or less, less is good:p) is it worth acquiring something like a EEE PC or should I opt for something like a small desktop?

The purpose of the computer is basically just work(office and browsing), although I would like that stuff like movies in 720p (although 1080p would de awesome) would flow well, but especially that would live well in a 1920x1080 resolution, so that I can keep the same screen.

Any tips or even completely different suggestions are welcome, as long as, of course, they are reasonable.

Thanks

dandnsmith
June 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I've tried out Acer Aspire One with less powerful cpu, and managed to do office and browsing and DVDs (access via ethernet to a PC with drive, since the netbook doesn't have one). I think 1920x1080 would be asking too much - and I certainly don't like it on such a small screen.
If you can, find a machine, and see whether they'll let you run a LiveCD with Mint11, which should give you a good idea of capability.

luismgl
June 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for your reply, although I believe that maybe there maybe a bit of a messup. I was talking about nettops not netbooks, something on these lines

http://www.digitalsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ASUS-Eee-Box-EB1501-Nettop.jpg

So that I can plug it in to a screen and then have the 1920x1080 rez.

luismgl
June 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM
A bump for help :)