PDA

View Full Version : Massachussetts

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I notice that MS are giving $30million to students in Massachussetts, this seems a bit suspicous, as Massachussetts say they are going to use OpenDocument. Also MS likes having students use there products, as it makes them familiar with their stuff, so they buy it later in life. See - http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/dancer?entry=will_microsoft_s_us_30

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I notice that MS are giving $30million to students in Massachussetts, this seems a bit suspicous, as Massachussetts say they are going to use OpenDocument. Also MS likes having students use there products, as it makes them familiar with their stuff, so they buy it later in life. See - http://blogs.sun.com/roller/trackback/dancer/Weblog/will_microsoft_s_us_30

Also the govenor of Massachusetts wants to give each student one of the $100 laptops which run Linux.

Yes like McDonalds it appears Bill is focusing on the children but this particular charity seems like a direct assualt against Linux.

Bill could have picked a more needy state, Louisana for instance.

Brunellus
June 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
it's called "doing well by doing good."

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Actually it reminds me of either the $100 laptop thing or the OLPC thing. MS offered to open source windows CE, so that they could get 3rd world places used to their software. I actually also saw on their website how they made loads of money from some charity during the Indonesia Tsunami.

guine
June 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I saw something on this saying that some bill had kinda been sneaked through the massachussetts legislature which would make it harder to enforce the use of open document formats that went kind of hand in hand with this donation. If I can find the article later ill post a link to it.

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I saw something on this saying that some bill had kinda been sneaked through the massachussetts legislature which would make it harder to enforce the use of open document formats that went kind of hand in hand with this donation. If I can find the article later ill post a link to it.
If that's true, it's amazing they haven't been shut down yet.

Brunellus
June 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
If that's true, it's amazing they haven't been shut down yet.
don't look shocked; this sort of thing happens all the time. Otherwise, how would government operate?

jeffc313
June 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
i live in massachusetts. havent heard of that. but I do want one of the 100 dollar linux laptops. Booting into ubuntu live-cds at my High School did not turn out so wel.

terminatorkobold
June 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It is standard industry tactics. It is incredible all the stuff that you can get for free or at discount if you are a student or a teaching organisation. Of course you get locked in a product, but most people still see it as a too good opportunity to pass.

I always found it funny at school when we had ''computer science'' courses, which consisted of basic Word and Exel use. It is very effective, try to explain to somebody that you don'have Microsoft Office and that you can still write complex document, they get flabbergasted. For most people word processor is synonym to Microsoft Word.