PDA

View Full Version : Yet another spin

alwanrosyidi
June 16th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Hi everybody. I am trying to build a new Ubuntu derivative. I will name it Ubuntu Classic Edition. The concept about this spin is :

1. Customized GNOME Fallback
2. Application selection focused on speed and simplicity.
3. Removing all unity components
4. Replacing Unity Greeter with GTK Greeter
5. Applications list :
- Image Viewer : Gpicview
- Image Editor : GIMP
- PDF Reader : Epdfview
- Text Editor : leadpad
- Browser : Google Chrome
- Music Player : Audacious with Winamp Interface and skin
- Media Player : SMPlayer & w32codecs
- Additional Plugins : adobe-flashplugin and sun-java6-plugin
6. Here is the screenshots :
http://ubuntuclassicedition.blogspot.com/2012/06/ubuntu-classic-edition-screenshots.html

I need your help to feedback, comment or even -of course- criticize. Thankyou all :guitar:

Paqman
June 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Does Chrome's licence even allow you to distribute it? You might find you have to ship Chromium instead.

Likewise Flash and Java. I'd preinstall OpenJDK if I were you.

3rdalbum
June 16th, 2012, 11:25 AM
1. Customized GNOME Fallback
2. Application selection focused on speed and simplicity.
3. Removing all unity components

Hang on a second... you're focusing on speed and simplicity, yet you're removing Unity and shipping Gnome Fallback?

Gnome Fallback is not a simple desktop, nor a lightweight desktop. It's just an outdated desktop.

Why would people download and install your respin rather than just add those programs to the default Ubuntu install, or just use Xubuntu or Lubuntu which are both lighter and simpler than Gnome Fallback?

Also, you might find your plans in tatters if Gnome decides to stop maintaining the Fallback desktop. Which it may do in the near future.

wheeze
June 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Won't Canonical have a slight issue with your proposed distro name?

Megaptera
June 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Won't Canonical have a slight issue with your proposed distro name?

+ 1 to that!

PaulW2U
June 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Don't shorten the name to Ubuntu CE or UCE because that's already been done - Ubuntu Christian Edition (https://launchpad.net/ubuntuchristianedition).