PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitor

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I got a new PC today so I decided to install Ubuntu as a primary operating system.

I have a 19" and something like a 15", so I want to use the 19" as a primary.

The thing is, I cannot seem to select twinview nor can I find the monitor, only the 19" which is the primary.

I've got NVIDIA X Server installed.

Thanks in advance.

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Fustigate.

Is your computer a laptop, or a desktop?
Are both monitors external, or the 15" is the laptop's DFP?

Regards.

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hi Fustigate.

Is your computer a laptop, or a desktop?
Are both monitors external, or the 15" is the laptop's DFP?

Regards.
It is a desktop.

They are both external.

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 12:56 AM
You can change the layout of the monitors by dragging and dropping the monitors in the 'Nvidia X Server Settings'.

That functionality is not very responsive, and you may need to drag/drop a few times to get the desired layout.

Hope it helps, and tell us how it goes.
Regards.

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 01:16 AM
That's the thing, I can't seem to find my other monitor..

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Could you do this?

Make sure both monitors are connected and turn on.

Then restart your computer. Once you get to the desktop, post the content of these files?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Please paste them separately here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/, and then post back the links in this thread.

Regards.

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM
xorg.conf: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1043239/
Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1043240/

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks.

Your card is only reporting this monitor connected:

[ 22.064] (--) NVIDIA(0): Acer X193W (CRT-1)
Since the name 'CRT-1' was assigned, I imagine it is connected using a VGA cable.

What kind of connection does the other monitor have?
Have you try changing the cables to check if it is a cable problem?

Regards.

BTW, your configuration files does not reflect your current configuration (even with current working monitor). I would advice to generate a new one by running:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 01:53 AM
They are both VGA leads.

The one on the side of the back of the PC, and the one at the bottom which is straight.

I ran the sudo command. I know both leads are working fine because I was using it for my old PC earlier.

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 02:01 AM
They are both VGA leads.

The one on the side of the back of the PC, and the one at the bottom which is straight.

A question just to discard an unusual situation:

Are both cables connected to your Nvidia Card? I'm asking this because it is not possible to have dual monitors if one cable is connected to the motherboard's VGA output.

Regards.

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Couldn't tell you if I'm honest. Would both be giving output? If not, then no. Which I am assuming is the problem, yes?

If it is, how would I go around that?

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Would I need a DVI TO VGA lead?

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 02:27 AM
You seem to have an Nvidia Geforce GT 520.

Nowadays, most cards have 2 outputs. One is the one that is working on the Acer monitor. There should be another output right next to that one. Depending on the card's manufacture, it could be a VGA, DVI, or even an HDMI output.

Connect the other monitor on that output if you can.

Another idea: Is is possible for you to post a picture of your computer's back side?

Regards.

Fustigate
June 16th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Of course.
http://i.imgur.com/SD3Dw.jpg (PS: Sorry for bad quality, was taken on a Blackberry!)
My main monitor is plugged in to the right of the DVI port on the bottom.

papibe
June 16th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks.

The output you need to use is the white one, located an inch, or so, to the left of one is working.

I'm pretty sure it is a DVI output, so yes, you may need either an a DVI-to-VGA connector, or a DVI-to-VGA cable.

If either one of the monitors has an DVI input, I would go for a simple DVI cable (DVI-to-DVI).

Regards.