PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 1440 HDD error!

WinuxUser
June 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hi forums.
Recently, my harddisk ran into a problem which has made me worried. Please refer the pictures attached and suggest what should i do?

I have dual boot win 7 and ubuntu 12.04. The only thing i did new in my laptop was run virtualbox and try to share a ntfs partition d: in winxp host ran on the virtualbox. Rest stuffs were normal things like surfing and others...

I assume there is something to do with virtual box for my harddisk to generate the error... or maybe i am wrong...
Im planning for a clean format of all the drives and beginning from zero level by installing win 7 and ubuntu again... will that help solve my problem??

Its the first time i've experienced the error and its freaking me out... Please help.. :(

Regards, WinuxUser

WinuxUser
June 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
mate that links provide a webpage in language i don't understand...:( but i appreciate ur help though...

sikander3786
June 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Those pictures clearly express that the HDD is failing and it is a hardware failure. It was just a co-incidence that the HDD decided to fail when you were trying to run Virtualbox stuff otherwise there isn't any relation between the two. It simply can't be like that.

I don't think re-formatting would help here. Still, you can try your luck.

But before doing anything else, backup any important data that is contained on that HDD. Things would keep getting worse as you keep using that HDD and it might well leave you in a state when accessing that data becomes impossible.

The bottom line, in my opinion, your laptop needs a new HDD.

WinuxUser
June 16th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Those pictures clearly express that the HDD is failing and it is a hardware failure. It was just a co-incidence that the HDD decided to fail when you were trying to run Virtualbox stuff otherwise there isn't any relation between the two. It simply can't be like that.

I don't think re-formatting would help here. Still, you can try your luck.

But before doing anything else, backup any important data that is contained on that HDD. Things would keep getting worse as you keep using that HDD and it might well leave you in a state when accessing that data becomes impossible.

The bottom line, in my opinion, your laptop needs a new HDD.

so it clearly means that there is no way my hard-disk can be either repaired, or re-transformed to its normal working behavior even after a format... :(

sikander3786
June 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM
so it clearly means that there is no way my hard-disk can be either repaired, or re-transformed to its normal working behavior even after a format... :(
Yeah, probably.

But trying your luck with a re-format won't be offensive before you go for the HDD replacement. ;)

WinuxUser
June 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Im on it...will report back soon... :)

WinuxUser
June 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
A start from zero didn't help me...
i ran the following in the terminal....

winuxuser@MagicBox:~$ sudo fdisk -lu
[sudo] password for winuxuser:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9f7139f1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2046 239996927 119997441 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 239996928 625141759 192572416 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 2048 7999487 3998720 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 8001536 45600767 18799616 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 45602816 239996927 97197056 83 Linux
winuxuser@MagicBox:~$

any chances of me getting ditched by the HDD soon?? coz i am still need the HDD to work for me....:(

ahallubuntu
June 19th, 2012, 02:32 AM
"Zero" the hard drive means erase everything on it by writing zeros to every sector, then checking the S.M.A.R.T. status again and see if those bad sectors have been cleared. You would have to do this by booting a Linux live CD - you can't zero the drive while you are running an operating system from it.

This CAN work on drives with just a few pending sector errors in my experience. But your drive already has 533 reallocated sectors. That means 533 sectors have already failed and been replaced by the drive firmware - and at some point (if not already) your drive runs out of spares. And then it is not usable anymore, because you will keep creating files in areas with failed sectors.

I would give up on your hard drive and replace it - sorry. Hard drives do fail all the time. Sad fact of computer life.

WinuxUser
June 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM
"Zero" the hard drive means erase everything on it by writing zeros to every sector, then checking the S.M.A.R.T. status again and see if those bad sectors have been cleared. You would have to do this by booting a Linux live CD - you can't zero the drive while you are running an operating system from it.

Can you elaborate a bit in detail about this method please... i can't give up on my HDD right now because i can't have another one... :(