PDA

View Full Version : Android vs iPhone

Shadius
June 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hey everybody :)

Don't know if I can put this here, but I wanted to get some opinions on which you think is better and why. An explanation would be nice. :)

fatality_uk
June 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM
If you ask this question in an Apple forum and here on a Linux forum, it's a safe bet that you will get pretty opposing views.

What's the motivation for your question? Buying? I would suggest review sites might be better for that.

KiwiNZ
June 14th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Depends on what Android phone you are comparing to iPhone. I am in the process of replacing my "road kill" iPhone. I am considering the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the HTC one X! I believe these two phones superior to the current iPhone offerings.

Shadius
June 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM
If you ask this question in an Apple forum and here on a Linux forum, it's a safe bet that you will get pretty opposing views.

What's the motivation for your question? Buying? I would suggest review sites might be better for that.

The motivation behind this question: a friend of mine and I were discussing which was better. He has an iPhone and I have an Android. :lolflag:

I figured the opinions might be a little biased, but I think the Ubuntu Community is pretty unbiased when it comes to things like this.

Let's say we compare the iPhone 4S (I think that's the newest one, correct me if I'm wrong) to its Android equivalent.

My friend's argument was that iPhone has better multitasking capabilities, is faster, and there are more iPhone users than Android.

not found
June 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

devondashla
June 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM
there are more iPhone users than Android.

I don't think that's a valid point. Just because something is more popular does not mean it is better.

thatguruguy
June 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
there are more iPhone users than Android.

I'd like to see the statistical analysis showing this statement to be true. While Apple may sell more phones than any other single competitor (e.g., Samsung or HTC), the numbers I've seen indicate that there are more Android devices (when accounting for all manufacturers) than iPhones in use. Here's but one example (http://technorati.com/technology/article/android-versus-apple-in-mobile-stats/).

KiwiNZ
June 14th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I'd like to see the statistical analysis showing this statement to be true. While Apple may sell more phones than any other single competitor (e.g., Samsung or HTC), the numbers I've seen indicate that there are more Android devices (when accounting for all manufacturers) than iPhones in use. Here's but one example (http://technorati.com/technology/article/android-versus-apple-in-mobile-stats/).

Agreed, Android devices out number IOS.

ExSuSEusr
June 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I don't think that's a valid point. Just because something is more popular does not mean it is better.

Ha, so true... just look at World of Warcraft :P Amazing what a few well placed commercials can do, isn't it?

Well, to the question... I have considered both as well, and for a short time I was considering getting an iPhone due to be just being bored with the Droid.

When it's all boiled down - they're pretty much the same thing... really.

Can you surf the web on both? Yes.
Can you check email on both? Yes.
Can you play media on both? Yes.
Can you play games on both? Yes.
Can you use them for work? Yes.

And so on, and so on.

But for me it boiled to the following (the reason I decided to stay with Droid).

First - the iPhone is locked down. You're stuck with iTunes or essentially you can't use the device. Yes, yes I know about the "alternatives" but let's be real - there's just too much hassle involved with that. Most of us don't have the time. I can either stay with Droid and plug into ANY COMPUTER and swap files - OR - I can install VB, install bla bla bla. I think I'll save the time and the headache.

Secondly - the iPhone isn't up-gradable. If I want to add more storage to a Droid I can head to Amazon.com and buy a larger micro card. Done. iPhone? You're stuck.

Third - I realize the iPhone has better graphics - but I like the larger screen of the Droid. I like not needing a mag-glass to read something. Not to mention other things like watching Netflix.

But, I will say - to be fair.

The iPhone to ME seems more polished and finished than Droid. I am not saying it is or isn't - I am just saying when I compare them side by the side - the iPhone - to me personally - feels and looks...."finished." The Droid looks and feels like a Distro that hasn't been tweaked to hell and back with conky and compiz et al.

The iPhone is much louder. Well, to be fair - at least compared to the particular phone *I* have. I have an actual Droid and trying to use it for things like working out, blows. The volume is so low even when cranked up all the way... just sucks. With an iPhone I can't turn it all the way up... it's too much (which I'd rather have if I had to choose).

Again, that might just be an issue I have with my particular phone. But, I have heard and read of other Droid users complaining about the same thing (the sorry volume level that is).

In the end it all boils down to what YOU want. I personally think Droid has more to offer in terms of flexibility and options (sizes of screen, so on and so forth) - while the iPhone is more polished.

Shadius
June 15th, 2012, 03:33 AM

I agree with the both of you. My friend's argument was that Apple has more iPhone users than Android does and thanks to thatguruguy, I now have proof that it isn't so. I'm glad I got some opinions about this! :)

MisterGaribaldi
June 15th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Maybe it would be asking too much from this crowd here, but I think we missed a grand opportunity here as a Linux message board to tell the OP we all think he should buy an iPhone. Imagine the irony in that!

Shadius
June 15th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Maybe it would be asking too much from this crowd here, but I think we missed a grand opportunity here as a Linux message board to tell the OP we all think he should buy an iPhone. Imagine the irony in that!

:lolflag:

Too late! I've an Android already!

MisterGaribaldi
June 15th, 2012, 04:47 AM
:lolflag:

Too late! I've an Android already!

Ha!

Ok, so from now on, whenever someone asks a question like this and I'm the first person in the thread to respond, I'm going to tell them to go with the proprietary solution. Or whatever would be the most ironic for the UF community. Let's see how many others here will be brave enough to follow my lead. I dare all of you!

EDIT: Where is the "Like" or "+1" button here on UF when you need it? I would totally +1 zombifier25's post below mine right now.

zombifier25
June 15th, 2012, 04:51 AM
iPhone rocks!

There, I said that :lolflag:

Shadius
June 15th, 2012, 05:10 AM
:lolflag: You guys are funny.

Let me introduce another player to the field. Ubuntu for Android!!! :D

N0oki3
June 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I vote for symbian ;<

MisterGaribaldi
June 16th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I vote for symbian ;<

Two votes for Symbian. (And not to be confused with a certain, ahem, "play toy", with a phonetically similar name. ;) )

Shadius
June 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Symbian? Please educate me. I know not of Symbian. :(

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Um... Here, let me fix that for you then. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian)

Daniel Jones
June 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Android and iOS are two complete different operating system for smart phone mobile devices.
Both are having its own merits and demerits. I have used both personally.
If you consider latest android OS models like Galaxy S III or HTC One X, may be you will find these mobile devices superior to iPhone 4S as last iPhone model was launched more than an year ago.
If you really loves to carry gadgets u must wait for iPhone 5, that is coming soon in the market.

Shadius
June 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Android and iOS are two complete different operating system for smart phone mobile devices.
Both are having its own merits and demerits. I have used both personally.
If you consider latest android OS models like Galaxy S III or HTC One X, may be you will find these mobile devices superior to iPhone 4S as last iPhone model was launched more than an year ago.
If you really loves to carry gadgets u must wait for iPhone 5, that is coming soon in the market.

Care to elaborate a little bit of the merits and demerits of both?