PDA

View Full Version : Opera 9 released

linbetwin
June 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Download from here: http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?custom=yes

SlugO
June 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Opera 9 rocks! :D

Here's (http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/) an overview of the new features and here's (http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/linux/900/) the changelog.

dcherryholmes
June 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Man, I so *want* to like Opera. I jumped on this as soon as I saw it and installed it over the last beta I tried out. But it still doesn't use my mplayer plugin properly, and it gags while trying to import mail from Thunderbird. Guess I'll stick with Flock for now.

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Opera is awesome and my next favorite Browser next to Firefox but I have to admit there are many things that I like about Opera. I find I use them both about equally.

I only wish Opera had Adblock Plus and Adblock Filterset.G Updater.

ace2005
June 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hi

Can you try something for me quickly please, go to a wide page, or just any page and zoom in untill you can see the bottom scroll bar and then use middle click panning to pann to the right. I can't pann to the right, the curser changes, and nothing happens

:(

_simon_
June 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I'm normally a firefox user, have been for many years. I'm just trying Opera 9. Does it have an option to have bookmarks on the bar like firefox does rather than having to go into bookmarks?

Edit: just found it

View -> Toolbars -> Personal Bar

OrganicPanda
June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
i went from opera(win) to firefox(win) to firefox(nix) to swiftfox(nix) and this does sound like it offers me everything i need to make a switch back but why is it so damn ugly out of the box, i cant find a good gnome gtk type theme for it

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I upgraded from Opera 9.00 beta 2 on my XPsp2 the only problem is I ended up with two Operas so I had to reconfigure the new Opera and delete the beta.

I don't want to repeat this on Ubuntu is there somthing I should do different to avoid this step or do I do the same again?

It would be nice if Ubuntu had Opera included in the update manager.

Opera has some features that no other browsers have btw, free email, widgets, faster in page rendering then Firefox or Epiphany. Great Spell Checker.

I read that there are Adblock-like extensions but I have yet to try them.

jinacio
June 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
IMHO it's very nice:

- small, fast, pages render great.
- the tango theme rocks, in gnome it blends perfectly and looks awesome.
- it uses a lot less memory that ff, in case you'r interested
- works great on AMD64 out of the box (just install static qt3: sudo dpkg --force-architechture -i opera9.deb)

CONS:
- it has some weird stuff like confusing menus for adjusting preferences, and interface font isn't antialiased (weird, pages are: should check on qt stuff)
- not open software, if you care.

Lord Illidan
June 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
i went from opera(win) to firefox(win) to firefox(nix) to swiftfox(nix) and this does sound like it offers me everything i need to make a switch back but why is it so damn ugly out of the box, i cant find a good gnome gtk type theme for it

Bruce89, Opera, not Firefox is the main subject here without any gnome gtk themes. Firefox integrates very well in ubuntu..

jinacio
June 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Anyone wanting to see how well opera can integrate into ubuntu desktop, check out the Tango CL (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=3465) theme.

it's actually the top rated theme at this time...

Somenoob
June 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
great, These new features are quite useful.

Did anyone else get an error msg from dpkg saying that it needed other software so Opera 9.0 could be installed?, i got that, but it installed the update anyway.

SlugO
June 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
But that is a theme, it just emulates integration, applications not written for a particular platform will look bad on all platforms.
They look good enough with the available themes.
And besides, the fact that it's not written particularly for Gnome etc is a small price to pay when you're able to get a great browser on all the platforms on the same day.

Not ugly, not heavy, so in this case I don't care that it's not a native Gnome app 8-)

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
great, These new features are quite useful.

Did anyone else get an error msg from dpkg saying that it needed other software so Opera 9.0 could be installed?, i got that, but it installed the update anyway.

were you able to update without destroying your old beta settings?

Somenoob
June 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM

yes.

dada1958
June 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM
It's my default browser on my Mac and Ubuntu PC, it's fast:)

darkhatter
June 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM
what is wrong with opera being closed source, and what is wrong with qt? Don't come in here and talk about why Opera sucks this is a thread for us (the people that like opera) just leave us alone

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
what is wrong with opera being closed source, and what is wrong with qt? Don't come in here and talk about why Opera sucks this is a thread for us (the people that like opera) just leave us alone
Alright then, sorry. I have removed all my posts, just don't you crititise Epiphany.

Sye d'Burns
June 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM

I removed the beta before I installed the final version and it worked fine. As long as you don't purge your config should still work as well. Mine did at any rate. The menus no longer have that funky look about them either. It looks pretty slick to me.

darkhatter
June 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM
When the new Epiphany comes out it'll be on my computer as soon as I find out, and thank you. I've never seen some one do something like that, I have great respect for you bruce89

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM
When the new Epiphany comes out it'll be on my computer as soon as I find out
Don't worry about it, I'm just a pig.

Maupertus
June 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I've been using it ever since I had internet...I remember the really cool logo Opera 5 had and the publicity campaign around Opera 7.
I love everything about the thing, it's highly tweakable, it's fast, it had tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking and addblocking long before any other browser and gave a great support for downloads where IE and Navigator are still working with those annoying pop up windows without any options for control.

What can I say, old loves never fade, I've tried FF and I first downloaded Opera with Navigator, which I tried afterwards, but just give me Opera....

bailout
June 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
I have been using Opera on windows and now Linux for a few years now for both browsing and email. For those who are new to it make sure you check out the forums on the Opera site. They are very active and the best place to get help. There are also some good guides and wiki around full of lovely Opera info.

I have my Windows Opera installed on my fat32 date partition and have set my Linux instal to use the sale location for mail,bookmarks,notes,contacts etc.

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM
I removed the beta before I installed the final version and it worked fine. As long as you don't purge your config should still work as well. Mine did at any rate. The menus no longer have that funky look about them either. It looks pretty slick to me.

Ok so let me get this right delete the Beta fist, and all my settings should still work, bookmarks toolbar and bookmarks?

I did the opposite on XPsp2 and I had to reconfigure the new Opera then I deleted the beta.

Thanks for the advice.

Sye d'Burns
June 21st, 2006, 03:46 AM
Ok so let me get this right delete the Beta fist, and all my settings should still work, bookmarks toolbar and bookmarks?

I did the opposite on XPsp2 and I had to reconfigure the new Opera then I deleted the beta.

Thanks for the advice.

Just type ' dpkg -r opera-static ' ...then dpkg -i the new opera .deb that you've downloaded.

I can't answer for your settings, bookmarks and toolbar... but all of mine were right where I left them after I removed the beta deb and installed the final version. Just remember not to purge and you should be fine.

exclipy
June 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM
Go Opera! Firefox is where the hype is but Opera is where the real innovation is.

I've been using Opera for five years, since 5.0. At the time, Opera already had a search bar, multiple document interface and a very good download manager. Since then, I've seen them add mouse gestures, a full featured mail client, IRC client, newsfeed reader, SVG support, BitTorrent support, among a slew of other things. Many of these features have since been copied by rivals, but many remain unique. If you want to see the future direction for web browsers, use Opera.

On top of that, because the entire featureset is implemented by the one company (ie. no extensions), everything works consistently, quickly, and reliably. Also, the toolbars, keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures can be customised easily to do quite powerful things. If you still think you can't live without extensions, there's UserJS and now Widgets!

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 05:29 AM
do
Go Opera! Firefox is where the hype is but Opera is where the real innovation is.

I've been using Opera for five years, since 5.0. At the time, Opera already had a search bar, multiple document interface and a very good download manager. Since then, I've seen them add mouse gestures, a full featured mail client, IRC client, newsfeed reader, SVG support, BitTorrent support, among a slew of other things. Many of these features have since been copied by rivals, but many remain unique. If you want to see the future direction for web browsers, use Opera.

On top of that, because the entire featureset is implemented by the one company (ie. no extensions), everything works consistently, quickly, and reliably. Also, the toolbars, keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures can be customised easily to do quite powerful things. If you still think you can't live without extensions, there's UserJS and now Widgets!

don't forget voice activation and free email.

aysiu
June 21st, 2006, 05:39 AM
If you still think you can't live without extensions, there's UserJS and now Widgets! Opera doesn't have the smart cookie management that Firefox has. It doesn't have NoScript, which allows you to turn off Flash and Javascript for every site except the ones you whitelist. I didn't see any Adblock capabilities in there--only a pop-up blocker.

There a host of extensions in Firefox that are either impossible or no easy feat to implement in Opera, and I still prefer a drop-down menu of search engines instead of remembering a bunch of abbreviations.

Opera is not superior to Firefox any more than Firefox is superior to Opera. Different users have different needs. Firefox isn't just hype. It fills a need for many users--you just happen not be one of those users.

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Opera doesn't have the smart cookie management that Firefox has. It doesn't have NoScript, which allows you to turn off Flash and Javascript for every site except the ones you whitelist. I didn't see any Adblock capabilities in there--only a pop-up blocker.

There a host of extensions in Firefox that are either impossible or no easy feat to implement in Opera, and I still prefer a drop-down menu of search engines instead of remembering a bunch of abbreviations.

Opera is not superior to Firefox any more than Firefox is superior to Opera. Different users have different needs. Firefox isn't just hype. It fills a need for many users--you just happen not be one of those users.

Opera does use a dropdown menu for search that you can customize and add searchengines to, just like in Firefox.

It has flash block and also adblock (but I have not figured how to install it yet, I started a thread on it here in the Cafe)

I use both Opera and Firefox equally they are both great and both have great strengths and both have weaknesses.

I am glad I can use both on Ubuntu.

I honestly use both sometimes even at the same time, Opera does come with a default spellcheck that is better then any spellcheck extension for Firefox.

I am using both now I jump to different browsers on different workspaces for different applications.

aysiu
June 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM
Can you point me to the Flashblock and Adblock options? I don't mean blocking all Flash. I mean blocking it for all sites except the ones I specify.

Also, I know there's a dropdown search in Opera, but it doesn't appear to be very extensible.

I'm glad you like both equally--it shows an open mind. Unfortunately, Opera does not meet everyone's needs, and Firefox is not all hype. That's the only point I was trying to make.

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 05:53 AM
Can you point me to the Flashblock and Adblock options? I don't mean blocking all Flash. I mean blocking it for all sites except the ones I specify.

Also, I know there's a dropdown search in Opera, but it doesn't appear to be very extensible.

I'm glad you like both equally--it shows an open mind. Unfortunately, Opera does not meet everyone's needs, and Firefox is not all hype. That's the only point I was trying to make.

aysiu, now you know that what you request will not work as good in Opera as in Firefox, so don't expect a one for one match that would be unreasonable. As a firefox and opera user I will point out the obvious...

here is my unanswered thread on adblock for Opera (again not adblock Plus for firefox that would be like a windows user expecting linux to run like windows)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191015&highlight=Opera

aysiu
June 21st, 2006, 05:56 AM
It's cool, yozef. I know Opera can't meet my needs exactly. That was my only point from before.

Contrary to what some Opera evangelists believe (I'm not talking about you, who clearly have an open mind about browser choices), Opera does not offer the ultimate web browsing experience.

It offers a good web browsing experience that suits the needs of many. So does Firefox. That's it. There are many choices, and you pick the one that suits you.

Firefox users will never ditch their extensions for Opera.

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 05:58 AM
It's cool, yozef. I know Opera can't meet my needs exactly. That was my only point from before.

Contrary to what some Opera evangelists believe (I'm not talking about you, who clearly have an open mind about browser choices), Opera does not offer the ultimate web browsing experience.

It offers a good web browsing experience that suits the needs of many. So does Firefox. That's it. There are many choices, and you pick the one that suits you.

Firefox users will never ditch their extensions for Opera.

aysui I haven't tried them yet but this link gives two options for flashblock in Opera

http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/09/opera-and-firefox-extensions-ii

aysiu
June 21st, 2006, 06:00 AM
I appreciate you're trying to help me, but I'm cool with Firefox. Thanks again.

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM

here is a guide for configuring search engines in Opera:

http://operawiki.info/SearchInOpera

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
I appreciate you're trying to help me, but I'm cool with Firefox. Thanks again.
My apologies I didn't see your new post. Honestly I was hoping you could help me figure some of this stuff out.:p

(as I post to you in Firefox;))

oobuntoo
June 21st, 2006, 06:29 AM
Anyone get java-plugin to work with opera 9?

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM
Anyone get java-plugin to work with opera 9?

No I have been up for hours trying to figure this out!

bruce89
June 21st, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hoy, aysiu can annoy you lot and get away with it! For the record, I like Epiphany's bookmark tagging feature, so I will stay with it forever.

pkroks
June 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Can you install it just like Opera 8.54? With the static-qt package and forcing the architecture? If there is a thread, just point me to it. I searched and I only find the thread on Opera 9 beta...

Kimm
June 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Can Opera resume bittorrent downloads??

bailout
June 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM
here is a guide for configuring search engines in Opera:

http://operawiki.info/SearchInOpera
Those instructions are out of date with Op9. Just follow these from the help page.

http://help.opera.com/Linux/9.00/en/search.html#add

RAV TUX
June 21st, 2006, 08:50 PM
Those instructions are out of date with Op9. Just follow these from the help page.

http://help.opera.com/Linux/9.00/en/search.html#add

Thanks for the link.

Kouya
June 22nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
I can't stream realplayer files and wma files in opera 9 but mozilla works using gxine...is there anyway i can get them to stream in opera?

darkhatter
June 22nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
how come all the mozilla plugins are broken in opera. people are having troble getting the java plugin not to work too...:(

adamkat
June 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I got myself in a little mess...
Looking at all these posts I decided to install opera.
I went to the site and downloaded the file, opened it (it happened automaticaly, I don't remember which program, I use xubuntu) and all was well.
I go to thunderbird, get mail, click on an HTML and opera opens it! not to my likeing I go to see if opera changed my default browser setting but it didn't.
Anyways, to make a long story short, I uninstalled opera 9 completely using synaptic and now when I click on HTML links in thunderbird nothing happens.
Now, I tried to install opera again, this time using synaptic but alas! it says there are dependencies bla bla bla and would not install!
I'm considering re-installing my whole system, I have been warned to install only from the repositories...
Any helpfull hints?

RobTN
June 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I found a way to get Java working in Opera 9.

Run Opera by using this command:
opera --debugplugin --debugjava

I don't know if it's smart or even recommended to run Opera in this manner, but Java does work.

Get
June 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Opera has not been my favourite browser before, but when I donwload the 9 version I got a Wow!-feeling, so now I will try Opera a little and see..

rpgcyco
June 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I tried out Opera 9. I liked the interface and it rendered the pages faultlessly, though I did not like the download manager at all. Maybe I am too used to Firefox. :)

- Rpg Cyco

RAV TUX
June 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I tried out Opera 9. I liked the interface and it rendered the pages faultlessly, though I did not like the download manager at all. Maybe I am too used to Firefox. :)

- Rpg Cyco
I use both Opera and Firefox on Ubuntu 6.06, The download manager is one of my favorite aspects of Opera, I actually like it better then Firefox's download manager.

Firefox is still my primary browser.

rpgcyco
June 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM
The thing I don't like about it is how a whole tab with transfers suddenly appears. Too big. I like my little download window. :)

As I said, I just prefer this because I've used Firefox for so long. :)

- Rpg Cyco

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
The thing I don't like about it is how a whole tab with transfers suddenly appears. Too big. I like my little download window. :)
I don't like download manager windows getting in the way, so I use Epiphany. Also, the default firefox behaviour keeps all the files downloaded in the history.

gfg
June 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM

As I said, I just prefer this because I've used Firefox for so long. :)

- Rpg Cyco

You can turn this off by going to; tools-transfers, and pressing view. Here you can chose to open the download manager in the background, or to don't open it at all.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM
You can turn this off by going to; tools-transfers, and pressing view. Here you can chose to open the download manager in the background, or to don't open it at all.
Ach, we won't change.

rpgcyco
June 27th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Thanks mate. I'll try using it once again. :)

EDIT: Also, this may be weird, but is there a way to import cookies?

- Rpg Cyco

exclipy
July 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM

As well as what gfg said, you can restore the Transfers tab to get a small window (as you can restore any tab in Opera). Just right-click the tab and click Restore. Also, you can go to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck "Show close button on each tab" to get a minimise, restore and close button in the top right, like with a normal MDI application.

I find Opera's transfers manager is much much more advanced than Firefox's. In Firefox, you cannot decide where to put the file, and you cannot save it under a different name. Also, I'm not sure if you can resume downloads in Firefox.

Polygon
July 5th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I find Opera's transfers manager is much much more advanced than Firefox's. In Firefox, you cannot decide where to put the file, and you cannot save it under a different name. Also, I'm not sure if you can resume downloads in Firefox.

you can decide where to put downloads in firefox, you have to go to edit>prefs>downloads>click "ask me where to put every file"

i use opera as my backup browser on windows as i despise using IE, even for things such as windows updates, but i think ill stick with firefox on ubuntu as im hearing some problems on this topic about stuff not working... and if it aint broke dont fix it :D

gsuveg
September 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM
i have problem on my boxes with opera.

The Opera(shared) all from .deb, and apt show many sites with very small fonts. The -static version render sites good.

I have a kubuntu and a ubuntu box. This error come out under all.

Anybody have idea why?

sup
September 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
tools>preferences>advanced>fonts>set minimal size

gsuveg
September 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM
tools>preferences>advanced>fonts>set minimal size

not thats the problem, dont good render the sites.

www.suveg.hu/opera.png < you can see my problem.

sup
September 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
then I do not know what is bugging you. the site looks good to me, fonts are small, but you can enlarge them as I told you - see the difference on attached images.
also, do you have msttfcorefonts installed? I find them nicer then Ubuntu's default.

ice60
September 28th, 2006, 11:47 PM
i like Opera more then firefox mainly because it's more secure. but, it works alot better too. i would like firefox but it never works.

i block all ads with privoxy or proxomitron, i use the builtin "edit site preferences" which lets me decide what a page can do on a site-by-site basis by right-clicking the page - i block most things by default, then allow cookies if i want them, whether java/script, gif animation and other stuff can run.

i have these bookmarklets which are the extra buttons on the address toolbar which work with one mouse click -

rewind/fast foward (it works if the address has numbers in it - mainly pictures)

wayback machine newest which takes me to the newest stored page of the page i'm on at wayback

wayback search - all the wayback pages

wayback undo takes you out of wayback's domain

Links to this page

list all links on page

bugmenot

cookies which opens the cookie manager

DNS does a DNS Lookup for the page you are on at dnsstuff.com

netcraft OS, Web Server and Hosting History for the page i'm on at netcraft.com

googleanon which anonymises the google cookie so google can't keep track of your searches 8) i like that one

dictionary let you highlight a word and look it up at dictionary.com. if no word is highlighted a box opens and you can type in a word to lookup

thesaurus as above, but uses thesaurus.com

google cache searches the page you are on at google cache

then i also use userjs which is the same thing as firefox extensions. i can't be bothered to list all i have. but, i have a userjs script which lets me use greasemonkey scripts, one lets me download embedded media etc etc.

all i really wanted to say is opera can do as much, or more, then firefox :rolleyes: i didn't even mention the widgets (http://widgets.opera.com/) and some other stuff.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3724/operabu7.th.png (http://img269.imageshack.us/my.php?image=operabu7.png)

gsuveg
September 29th, 2006, 07:46 AM
then I do not know what is bugging you. the site looks good to me, fonts are small, but you can enlarge them as I told you - see the difference on attached images.
also, do you have msttfcorefonts installed? I find them nicer then Ubuntu's default.
this look very good. for me only the -static looks like your shoot.

gsuveg@highway:~$ dpkg -l | grep ii | grep msttco
ii msttcorefonts 1.2ubuntu3 Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts

gsuveg@highway:~$ dpkg -l | grep ii | grep qtconf
ii qt3-qtconfig 3.3.6-1ubuntu3 The Qt3 Configuration Application
ii qt4-qtconfig 4.1.2-1ubuntu1 Qt 4 configuration tool

i havent more idea :(

sup
September 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM
well, use statis version then. have you also see the ubuntu wiki page about opera? there is a lot of useful info

gsuveg
September 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM
thanks anyway.

Colonel Kilkenny
September 29th, 2006, 10:45 AM
thanks anyway.

Maybe you should check my.opera.com/forums ..
There are quite much people who seem to know _a lot_ about Opera.

I've had the same problem but I don't remember how did it got solved.

gsuveg
September 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe you should check my.opera.com/forums ..
There are quite much people who seem to know _a lot_ about Opera.

I've had the same problem but I don't remember how did it got solved.

thanks.

ice60
September 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Opera doesn't have the smart cookie management that Firefox has. It doesn't have NoScript, which allows you to turn off Flash and Javascript for every site except the ones you whitelist. I didn't see any Adblock capabilities in there--only a pop-up blocker.

hi, to allow flash for the sites you want first you have to disable javascript - tools>Preferences>advanced>content uncheck the box. then to allow falsh on the sites you want do this -
right-click the page and select 'edit site preferences'>Scripting>enable javascript.

for adblocking i always use an http proxy no matter which browser i use, but you can try importing adblock to the file described in post#1 here vv
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=175595

or there's this adblocker -
http://members.chello.nl/b.kroonspecker/opera/styles/user/AdBlocker.css

opera's search is just like firefox's, but better because you can add any engine you like. to add an engine right-click in the search box you want to add and select 'create search' it will then be a search option in the dropdown.

if you want to add the equivalent of a firefox extension you can look at userjs (http://userjs.org/), or bookmarklets -
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/links.html
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons
http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons

or a widget - http://widgets.opera.com/

i have about 30 firefox extensions, but i don't use firefox because if you look you'll find opera can do everything you want.

Opera is not superior to Firefox any more than Firefox is superior to Opera. of cause opera is superior, i thought everyone knew that :mrgreen: