PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] HELP! Install HP Officejet 4610/4620

Alcidious
June 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Howdy,

So, still a new linux user, and am attempting to install/configure my new printer... an HP Officejet 4610/4620. I am running Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit on a laptop. I tried to use the add printer utility, but the 4610/4620 series is not in the database. I tried to search the given installation cd for the PPD file/files, but had no success.

What should I do? Should I use Wine, or some emulator, to run the installation of Windows software? And then run my printer through that (sounds like a pain in the ***)?

I don't really care if the HP software works, I only care the proper drivers get installed and I can print, scan and copy. Thanks for any help!

hansdown
June 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi Alcidious.

Every hp printer I've used works by simply turning it on, and ubuntu gives a popup for "new printer found".

Does this work for you?

Alcidious
June 14th, 2012, 04:44 AM
hansdown,

no, the utility began the configuration process, but my model was not recognized. It is my guess that the printer is a new model whose drivers have not been added to any ubuntu-related repositories. I thought about using a different model, such as 5610, but thought better of it. I doubt the drivers are the same.

mastablasta
June 14th, 2012, 07:13 AM
sometimes to use a similar model is just fine. especially if you find on some review site that important components are the same.

anyway.... you can try to do a manual install of hplip.: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

i can't find your printer on the site but there should be a similar one (from the series) you can use.

Alcidious
June 14th, 2012, 04:10 PM
mastablasta,

how do you check to find out a similar series with the necessary drivers? Should I just perform a general search on the net, or should the hplip site have that info? thanks

Alcidious
June 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM
So I went on the HPLIP troubleshooting forum, and I was told that my model will be supported in the next release, version 3.12.16, which will be out in a few days! Thanks everyone