PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus G75VW Ubuntu 12.04 question

c0rrupts3ct0r
June 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I have the following laptop. Asus G75VW. I installed ubuntu, but the only thing not working is the Nvidia Geforce 660GTX Mobile. I tried using "additional drivers" but it says no drivers are in use, I have run the update and everything. Does anyone have any Insight on how to get this working with ubuntu ? Nvidia's site does not have any drivers for my specific card,

Is there something i could do to make it fully supported?

Thanks

oakstair
June 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have just bought an G75vW as well and plan to install Ubuntu.

Should I ?

I tried the wubi.exe but that did not work!

Next attempt will be to burn a CD.

c0rrupts3ct0r
June 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I have just bought an G75vW as well and plan to install Ubuntu.

Should I ?

well, everything works as far as I can tell, EXCEPT the 660GTXm, i cannot for the life of me find drivers for it. the Wifi card (Atheros) i know works well with linux ( i use it with backtrack ). You will be stuck without the native res for your 660GTXm until there is drivers for it.

oakstair
June 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I failed installing from the setup DVD I created.

I can se Ubuntu install screen (the purple one with just some tiny graphics at the bottom) but it hangs when reading the dvd.

The dvd seems ok to me.

So right now I dont know which will be my next try.

oakstair
June 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I also tried it fron an USB stick and then Ubuntu install process started up with a conosole but after some lines (20-40) it hanged.

I wonder if it's my new G75VW that is broken or if it is something with the ubunti installers.

Elias Barroso
July 4th, 2012, 07:07 PM
additional driver dont work, but you can search for Nvidia Driver on Ubuntu software center and you wil find the driver, just install this and have fun!

Temüjin
July 5th, 2012, 02:11 AM
additional driver dont work, but you can search for Nvidia Driver on Ubuntu software center and you wil find the driver, just install this and have fun!
NO, do not directly install the nvidia driver on an Optimus (hybrid graphics) laptop. There's a reason that "additional drivers" does not offer the nvidia driver on Optimus systems (it will break 3D or even make X fail).

Bumblebee works for Optimus, but people with recent nvidia GPU's (6xxM) were having issues with optirun. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

number5
July 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
NO, do not directly install the nvidia driver on an Optimus (hybrid graphics) laptop. There's a reason that "additional drivers" does not offer the nvidia driver on Optimus systems (it will break 3D or even make X fail).

Bumblebee works for Optimus, but people with recent nvidia GPU's (6xxM) were having issues with optirun. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

G75VW only has one Nvidia card (660M or 670M), it has nothing to do with Optimus.

To install Ubuntu 12.04 on a new NVidia card you need to use the text mode, try follow the instructions here http://askubuntu.com/a/129729/1867
And yes, use the proprietary nvidia driver nvidia-current, that will gave you more performance and save you from lots of trouble

-- sent from my G75VW-T1013v Ubuntu 12.04

JD82
September 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
G75VW only has one Nvidia card (660M or 670M), it has nothing to do with Optimus.

Hi,
do you know if this also applies to models without 3D display?

I want to buy one G75VW-9Z198V, but I am afraid of finding the Optimus to bother.

HrKristian
October 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Neither G75 or G55 laptops uses Nvidia Optimus, not sure about the other models in the gaming series are the same, but I believe they are.

3D or no is solely a matter of the screen being used, all Nvidia cards are "3D Ready"...