View Full Version : 32bit and 64bit talk

June 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
hi. i have no experience at all with 64bit. I am currently using bodhi 32bit. I am wanting to try out 64bit but just wanted to know if i am truly wasting my time or not. I only have 1gb ram on an amd64 athlon x2 2ghz. it is pretty quick for only having 1gb ram but mainly because i am a minimalist, i like installing bodhi, pep ice, zorin lite, and all the other lighter ubuntu, debian systems.

i figured 64bit is a step up just like anything like 10.04 lts's to 12.04 lts now as an analogy (i think thats the word lol) so since i do have a 64bit processor anyway, should i be using 64 bit?

also if ya all wanna add somethin little here i am wondering what everyone else's best light system they have come across is, not everything i noticed is in distrowatch or softpedia. thanks

June 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM
With only 1GB of RAM, I wouldn't bother with 64-bit. It's only significantly faster with certain tasks (virtualization, video encoding, etc.) and it takes more RAM.

June 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have 64 bit architecture on my netbook; but since I only use 4 GB of RAM on it I'm happy with my 32 bit Bodhi installation. You won't notice a difference.

June 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
A lot has already been said on this topic ,you can find the below guide helpful .

June 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have personally run 64 bit on a machine with 1GB so I can attest that you will not observe any noticeable difference upward and possibly a bit of decline in speed as the system addresses 64 bit with only 1GB RAM. It does utilize a bit more RAM to do so so you may in fact slow a bit rather than gain speed. I went back to 32 bit on mine and it seems to run quite fine that way.

June 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Moved to recurring discussions.

There are a few more threads in here too.

June 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Depends what you do with the machine.

If you're just browsing, no, you won't notice a difference. But if you work the processor a bit (video re-encoding, or playback without VDPAU, encryption, archives, etc) then you'll see some benefit.

A lot of desktop tasks are more IO limited than CPU, and on those it'll be exactly the same speed.