PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No desktop after update

backwoodsman
June 12th, 2012, 03:13 AM
This is a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04. Everything worked fine at first; problem started after I updated. Now, the startup splash screen never goes away (the blue picture); the panel loads and works fine, but anything that appears on the screen where the desktop should be just stays there -- menu, windows, etc. -- after it's closed. There are no desktop icons, and right-clicking on what should be the desktop does nothing. If I logout and login, then all this is still the same except menu, windows, etc. go away when they're supposed to. The system is perfectly functional except there's no desktop.

I reinstalled the display manager and everything with 'xorg' in the name, but I don't really have any idea what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Toz
June 12th, 2012, 04:22 AM
If xfdesktop is not running, try starting it up from Alt+F2 (or a terminal window) with:

xfdesktop

backwoodsman
June 12th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the reply, but... never mind. User had a bunch of old config files in /home directory (on separate partition) from old installs. Problem went away when I deleted all that stuff. Seems odd that it worked before the update, though.