PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have gone completely to a laptop?

ExSuSEusr
June 11th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see the question asked before - so I hope I didn't miss it.

But, anyway, with laptops getting more and more powerful - how many of you have gone completely to a laptop?

If you haven't what do you keep your desktop around for?

I have both but spend probably 90 percent of my time on the laptop.

smellyman
June 11th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Not me. Laptops are good, but still too small and cramped and not ergonomic for long time use

I am not a gamer, but do play minecraft which blows on my laptop.

One laptop for my wife, another for me. One main PC and one older one connected to TV with XBMC on it.

lancest
June 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I like a variety of screen sizes up to 24".

It's actually a pretty good idea to go strictly laptop/netbook/tablet though.

They are more dependable, save energy, space saving and portable.

Laptops are so cheap nowdays and less trouble- so why not!?
Good way to simplify.

forrestcupp
June 12th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I haven't used a desktop for a couple of years. Laptops are pretty powerful now, and I went to consoles for my gaming needs.

sefs
June 12th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I've gone completely to a laptop to save some space, but I still have a full keyboard, mouse and monitor attached, so I use it pratically like a desktop.

VE6EFR
June 12th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I probably could switch to a laptop for a few of the things I use a computer for. However I still need a desktop around.

For example, my wife and I run a website that hosts audio from the city fire department as well as EMS. That machine needs to stay online 24/7 to send the audio to our two shoutcast servers (one dedicated to fire, one for EMS & STARS Air Medical). This just doesn't seem like something I would want to do with a laptop.

LMP900
June 12th, 2012, 02:43 AM
My five-year old laptop remains on to seed torrents, organize files (mainly camera photos), or the occasional typing task. But there are many days when I don't use it at all. A tablet is my main machine today.

Redblade20XX
June 12th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Nope still love my desk!! :)
Can concentrate more.

-Red

wilee-nilee
June 12th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Eww, desktops, I thought those went out with chinos, and bell bottoms.

Redblade20XX
June 12th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Eww, desktops, I thought those went out with chinos, and bell bottoms.

Call me old school but I still fire up my pentium-p5. :P

-Red

sloggerkhan
June 12th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I don't think it makes sense.

By the time I got a laptop that would be good enough at gaming and powerful enough to edit RAW images quickly, have long battery life, etc. I usually end up looking at $1200+. And then you're in the position that if something goes wrong, you're screwed.

For the same amount I think it's always smarter to get an $800 desktop + $400 laptop. You then get a smaller more mobile laptop which is less hassle to carry around usually, and isn't a huge hit to replace or have repaired if it breaks or gets stolen. Meanwhile, since you have a home desktop, you can do more CPU/GPU intensive stuff, if things break on it, they're simple generic replacement parts, and, best of all, you can set up your netbook to vpn through your home network and back up files to your desktop while traveling.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 12th, 2012, 03:50 AM
This thread would have been a good opportunity for a poll.

I haven't switched to laptops completely.

I use:

smart phones
pods
pads
eBook readers
netbooks
laptops
desktops
servers

The computer I use most of the time is a laptop.

ExSuSEusr
June 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Good idea - poll added.

PapaGary
June 12th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I haven't used a desktop for a couple of years. Laptops are pretty powerful now, and I went to consoles for my gaming needs.
That's me. I bought used laptop in 2002 and the first thing I did was put Linux on it. I went through Puppy, Mandrake and Red Hat. I now have four laptops, two with Windows, one with Ubuntu and an old Dell Latitude with Xubuntu that I plan on giving to my brother-in-law. It's kind of an addiction...;)

erinspice
June 12th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I have a desktop that I use for resource- and network-intensive stuff and that my kids use for computer games, but I use my laptop 90% of the time.

drawkcab
June 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM
high-end laptop / 11 inch laptop / netbook / nettop htpc / smartphone / ereader

viperdvman
June 12th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Right now, I rarely use my netbook anymore except when I'm not home and not working. But, that could change when I start classes since I am getting a slightly bigger and more powerful notebook (in the 12-14" range... A-series or i3-based) and going to be using it on campus when I'm not in the dorm room away from my desktop.

So for now, I voted Rarely use laptop and rely on desktop for most tasks.

However, once I start class, I'll likely be voting Use laptop most of time but still have desktop.

craig10x
June 12th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Use a new Toshiba 17" laptop as a desktop replacement...that is why i got the large screen....it's not for carrying...it's for an "all-in-one" computer with touchpad (which i prefer over separate mouse)...

For me...PERFECT ;)

Artemis3
June 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Laptops are too big to carry around, i prefer a netbook for mobility, but mainly use a regular desktop. A desktop is easy to tinker with, a laptop is a nightmare and your choices very limited. With a desktop i can have 4 HDs + legacy; plenty of ports to plug things to; doesn't overheat, if the monitor fails it can be instantly replaced, can upgrade the graphics card on a whim, parts are cheaper, etc.

I don't like tablets and don't use smartphones. My "dumb"phone can sms and do calls just fine, and the battery lasts a week; it was a 100 times less expensive and has been going fine for 5+ years; Huawei makes good stuff, cheap and reliable.

Bachstelze
June 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I only use my laptop only when I'm on the go or when I need to do something on OS X since I don't own a Mac desktop (yes I know about Hackintosh and such, can't be bothered since I have the laptop when I need OS X).

But of course since I have been "on the go" for the past nine moths, you could say I have switched to laptop only. :p

kagashe
June 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I use Office Laptop, Home Desktop, Android Phone and sometimes friends tablet.

Kamalakar

mamamia88
June 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Only computer i own right now is a debian netbook. want to build a desktop with dual 24" monitors though so i can leave the netbook on coffee table and also want something for cd ripping

black veils
June 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
completely laptop for a couple of years.

the specs are more than what i need:

pentium T4300 2.1 ghz
hd lcd 15.6 inch
ram 4 gb
hdd 320
optical drive dvd super multi

i only use Xubuntu, dont play any games, dont store hundreds of gb's of music and videos.

Roasted
June 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I love laptops, and I've grown very accustomed to working on a laptop in the living room at night as the other half and I watch a movie or something. That said, nothing will ever take away the man cave office zone I have going on downstairs where I'm surrounded on 3 sides by large desks with my server and desktop right there, several monitors, and a huge comfortable chair.

I guess I work on a laptop when I can based on convenience, but given the choice, I'd easily choose to have more screen real estate and lots of space.

Dragonbite
June 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have a laptop (IBM T42) as my primary machine, but the 14" screen is rather small and I don't have much room for setting up a docking station with a larger monitor and such.

I do take the laptop with me places, so the portability and long battery life (extended battery = up to 5 hours) is greatly appreciated. In fact i have it here at work so I can work on a project during lunch.

My wife's laptop (Dell R17)is 17" which is pretty nice. The screen size is nice but it also makes it kinda bulky. It does go to a couple places around the house and to a booth when she's at dog shows and the like.

I think I would be happier with a 15", like what I use at work (Lenovo T61); with a second monitor, full-sized keyboard and mouse connected via docking station. That seems to be a nice blend of size and comfort. Also the resolution is better than the 1024x768 of my 14" laptop!

I still have the desktop, which acts as a file server shared with all of our other systems. I like the 20" monitor as well as the dedicated space (chair, desk, etc.) Much more comfortable for longer-term use than on my lap or just on the dining room table. Plus I have raised the monitor so I am not looking down at the screen and getting neck cramps.

psyclechick
June 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I rarely have the chance to sit in front of a computer these days apart from when I am at work so I just have a netbook (mainly just to upload data from my Garmin to Strava and flash my phone...)

Otherwise its pretty much smartphone for most things these days. Allows me to be outside (I am a cyclist and train on the bike a lot so its perfect for me)

To my mind, smartphones allow you to be free and be outside doing things in great spots rather than inside stuck at a desk \\:D/ (file://\\:D/)

But of course thats not everyone's cup of tea :P

samalex
June 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I moved my primary system to a laptop probably 10 years ago, but I've always kept a robust desktop on hand. For now my laptop is a three year old System76 PanP5 and my desktop is a one year old 27" iMac. Honestly we rarely use the iMac since my wife's primary system is a MacBook, so when the iMac is ready to retire it'll probably be our last desktop per say.

alan2796
June 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I use Laptop(s) Setup up to a central monitor and keyboard.
with a KVM Flip for switching between them. Ubuntu,OSX and Windows 7.

Laptops FTW!

I like to have it setup like a desktop but the ability to pick it up and take it with me if need be :)

Ubuntu is my primary OS however I use Windows 7 for Visual Studio and OSX for Xcode and iTunes :(

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I love laptops, and I've grown very accustomed to working on a laptop in the living room at night as the other half and I watch a movie or something. That said, nothing will ever take away the man cave office zone I have going on downstairs...

I like my laptop. Sometimes I'm in the living room with my wife watching a movie or something; however, I'm logged into my man cave computers doing whatever I choose using ssh, cssh, or rdp.

And she wonders why I have a hard time following the plot of a slow romance movie.

:lolflag:

It is also funny that the multimedia server we use some of the time is a virtual machine running on a quad-core server in my man cave.

Dragonbite
June 13th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Right now I am on my laptop while my wife is using the desktop (bigger screen and it has her Thunderbird the way she likes it).

Her laptop is in the other room playing Pandora for some gentle background music.

Bandit
June 13th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I use my desktop for 99.99% of my task. I however do have a Lenovo Netbook with Ubuntu on it that I use when I travel. Like only 2 times a year to check email, look up places to visit and google earth for maps.

ratcheer
June 13th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I don't own a laptop. If I did, I would only use it occasionally, such as for going out on the deck. I use a desktop system, exclusively.

I am an old geezer, too. ;)

Tim

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 13th, 2012, 03:07 AM
...I however do have a Lenovo Netbook with Ubuntu on it that I use when I travel. Like only 2 times a year to check email, look up places to visit and google earth for maps.

I have an inexpensive Toshiba 305 Netbook for when my job requires me to travel. It is only for email, getting information on restaurants, looking at maps, connecting to the company using VPN, and so fourth.

It dual boots Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It is so much lighter than a laptop. I tried using my laptop once on a trip; however, I found it was to heavy to carry through the airport, to or from the hotel and rental car, and in or out of the customer's facilities.

Plus, there is no private info on it.

yahoo
June 13th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I use a *buntu laptop all the time, away from home for several months of the year.
One stable xubuntu 12.04 with two other ubuntu derivatives or other linux triple booting for fun and different WM's.
Have had no problems.

Still tied to a Windows desktop for a few tasks at home and at work though.

Bazon
June 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM
The combination "use desktop, laptop (netbook) and smartphone equally" is missing. that one would be the one for me.

jwbrase
June 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I'm doing pretty much everything serious on a laptop, though I tend to use it more as a desktop (which is to say, I don't take advantage of its portability much).

I have a couple old desktop systems around just to tinker around with.

Paqman
June 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Probably about evenly split between desktop/netbook/smart phone for me.

Phone for quickly checking things during the day
Otherwise netbook
Desktop for gaming, anything that won't run well on netbook, or if I've got spare electricity from my PV array.