PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server Edition - "Cannot read the Linux Header"

fixnodeservices
June 11th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Linux box to 12.04 LTS with kernal headers 3.2.0-24-generic-pae

I cannot boot into the system as the kernel headers seem corrupt. This has happened before and what I did before was boot using older headers and re-install the corrupt linux headers. Unfortunately this new "Update" has automatically removed all my previous headers (i.e. 2.6.38-12-generic-pae) and now I just tried using "rescue my broken system" by booting using Ubuntu LiveCD. Unfortunately this does not work as well, rescue mode will NOT boot me into a console and simply after a few questions about keyboard layout just shows me a blank pink screen (after the questions).

Lastly, because of my ignorance, the system is not backed up, so a fresh install is completely out of the question!

Can anyone inform me on how I can recover the system using some sort of recovery CD or recovery mode.

If the system needs to be reformatted (god forbid) can somebody let me know how I can backup the system using an external HD (I'm fairly new to Linux command line and do not know how to use backup utilities in command line)

P.S. Recovery Mode for 3.2.0-24-generic-pae does not work either

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Phillip K