PDA

View Full Version : [other] Harddrive capacity 3x what it should be

ajkiwi88
June 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
have a weird problem bought a new external hard drive which consists of a hard drive and a caddy bought seperatly to build as per my other drives the drive size bough was 250gb came to initialize it and it says 750gb, this occurs in both windows and linux
unfortunately its impossible to partition or anything is there a way to solve this?
many thanks
andy

oldfred
June 7th, 2012, 10:40 PM
We just had a thread where a user had a new 4K drive and it was only showing 1/8 its size. It turned out to be the USB port or caddy as once he plugged it into his SATA port on a system it was seen correctly. Not sure yours is same type of issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1997821

ntzrmtthihu777
June 8th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Wild...never heard of someone complaining about a hard drive being bigger than it should be, lol.

typhoon_tip
June 8th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Wild...never heard of someone complaining about a hard drive being bigger than it should be, lol.

If it was usable... hehe ! Seems the problem is impeding him to partition the drive, probably because of incorrect size reported.

PS: one friend of mine bought a USB flash drive of 512 GB for 20 EUR / 25 USD, and it worked, you could format and copy the files in it ! Then when you went to do a LS it was empty as before loll Realized it was a fake drive !

ntzrmtthihu777
June 8th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I know. Just one of those things that sound odd. Total pwnage on the fake flash.